10-13-10 06:21 PM
49 12
tools
    The BlackBerry still dominates in the corporate world, but the iPhone gets all the love. That leaves RIM's co-CEOs struggling to be heard

Pretty interesting bweek article:

RIM's BlackBerry: Failure to Communicate - BusinessWeek
    10-08-10 08:41 AM
    Wow after reading that I see what some of RIM's problems are. They say they are trying to make CIO's happy over consumers, but CIO's are starting to let employees use there own phones (save money) and want to stop managing BES. Then they say instead of getting an App to get information on something or do something, just go to something directly on the Web, but yet they have and have had comparably the worst web browsing experience on their phones (Torch doesn't count cause it's on 1 carrier). Plus I think the Playbook unveiling is turning out to be a crock "Hey here is this awesome device that will do awesome things that we won't show you now and won't be out for over 6 months!?!?"

All they need to do is get QNX on an all touch phone and get it out there on as many carriers as possible as a technology showcase device. Just like car manufacturers have their one vehicle that is the technology showcase. The iPad does well because it has the app base of the iPhone/iPod touch to pull from and a common UI, and the Galaxy tabs will have the same thing when they show up. The Playbook won't be out for a while and will be the only RIM device running the OS. In a rapidly changing and growing market like smartphones, you have to be able to adapt and react quickly to the competition and I don't think RIM is in that mindset yet. Hopefully the QNX is the start of this, but until it is out for people to use its vaporware.
    10-08-10 09:47 AM
    I've said it many times...RIM needs to license Microsoft Activesync and integrate it into BIS somehow. They would likely still maintain BES customers for those who need high security, but would likely sell a lot more devices by making it easier for customers to sync email/calendar/contacts/tasks over the air without BES. This would even give RIM a leg up on others since these items could be pushed to the phone instead of the standard Activesync model where phones need to query the server, or maintain an open connection for MS direct push.
    10-08-10 09:54 AM
    Balsillie thinks the world is wrong about apps. Many are just glorified bookmarks, he argues, that aren't necessary if you can connect customers to the Web. "I'm not going to bring developers to the Web. I'm going to make mobility Web-friendly," he says. "Why do you need a YouTube app if you play YouTube? Why do you need an app to follow the Tour de France if you can just follow the Tour de France?"

Balsillie has a pointor he would if the consumer universe operated logically. "But we're not living in a perfectly rational world," says Roger Entner, head of telecom research at Nielsen. "People are now living with a very app-centric mindset."
    Wow and people still actually have faith in RIM?!? Pathetic.

RIM's response to the market trends and consumers: you're all wrong! Stop downloading apps! Do it our crappy way!

Congrats BB defenders.
    10-08-10 12:31 PM
    Wow and people still actually have faith in RIM?!? Pathetic.

RIM's response to the market trends and consumers: you're all wrong! Stop downloading apps! Do it our crappy way!

Congrats BB defenders.
    I KIND of agree with RIM

actually we've seen the shift in the PC world more and more apps that you used to need to download and install have gone to the cloud and you use the Internet rather than installing them.

BUT the phone market isn't ready, and apple did a fantastic job of promoting apps to the public. RIM doesn't provide the phone yet that can do away with apps, there are many services I want from my phone without internet access, which is were apps or a better designed Business base allow me to do what I need, until RIM makes the BBOS far more customizable out of the box in terms of installed features, or until smartphones can take full advantage of AJAX and companies start using it for smartphone websites, apps will be a factor RIM needs to grasp
    10-08-10 03:04 PM
    I KIND of agree with RIM

actually we've seen the shift in the PC world more and more apps that you used to need to download and install have gone to the cloud and you use the Internet rather than installing them.

BUT the phone market isn't ready, and apple did a fantastic job of promoting apps to the public. RIM doesn't provide the phone yet that can do away with apps, there are many services I want from my phone without internet access, which is were apps or a better designed Business base allow me to do what I need, until RIM makes the BBOS far more customizable out of the box in terms of installed features, or until smartphones can take full advantage of AJAX and companies start using it for smartphone websites, apps will be a factor RIM needs to grasp
    You make a good point about the PC market. It's one of the reasons why Chrome OS can one day exist. But if RIM is banking on the app ecosystem to go away anytime soon (soon as in the next 5 years) and have app developers move to the cloud and away from a revenue stream, they're going to be sorely mistaken. RIM is also waiting for this wireless data crunch that will help them soar to the top. And RIM wonders why they're being dismissed daily by the tech industry.
    10-08-10 03:48 PM
    You make a good point about the PC market. It's one of the reasons why Chrome OS can one day exist. But if RIM is banking on the app ecosystem to go away anytime soon (soon as in the next 5 years) and have app developers move to the cloud and away from a revenue stream, they're going to be sorely mistaken. RIM is also waiting for this wireless data crunch that will help them soar to the top. And RIM wonders why they're being dismissed daily by the tech industry.
    I do agree they are falling into the world of looking too far forward and missing the turns along the way,

Apps are a tangent off the path RIM does need to address, they have 2 major ways to address it,

make the Appworld system easy to deal with, and the BBOS easy to develop apps for.

OR make the BBOS customizable with install options that integrate the most popular app features into the default OS, and make some key everyday tools better than the current apps. they need to do with BBOS what Microsoft was trying to do with Windows 98 before everyone started suing them
    10-08-10 04:39 PM
    RIM has recently released their Q2 fiscal 2011 financial results and among the highlights is the fact that RIM has shipped over 115 million BlackBerrys to date. The conference call is starting now so head over and listen. Other highlights include:

• Revenue grew 31% over the same quarter last year to $4.62 billion
    • Earnings per share in the second quarter increased 76% to $1.46 over the second quarter last year(1)
    • BlackBerry(R) smartphone shipments grew more than 45% over the same quarter last year to 12.1 million and RIM has shipped approximately 115 million BlackBerry smartphones to date
    • BlackBerry subscriber account base grew approximately 56% over the prior year to over 50 million
    Dang! I bet they wished they had listened to this intelligent bunch of miscreants!
    10-08-10 05:03 PM
    Dang! I bet they wished they had listened to this intelligent bunch of miscreants!

If you look at OS6 compared to OS5 and then to QNX OS over OS6 is seems they are moving to the second option I posted, though trying to open the doors to the first option.

I'm a RIM supporter, I don't think they sky is falling, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have addressed things sooner and seen better profits,

Jim is not the greatest face of a company, but as a company they perform solidly
    10-08-10 05:18 PM
    I don't understand. Apps are more convenient than loading pages through the web browser. It is obvious people want apps.
    10-08-10 05:19 PM
    I don't understand. Apps are more convenient than loading pages through the web browser. It is obvious people want apps.
    that depends on how the pages are created

it used to be easier for me to Load GIMP on my notebook to do image editing,
    NOW it is much faster for me to go to Photo editor online / free image editing direct in your browser - Pixlr.com and use the same thing online no matter my computer

and you can just put a short cut, on the desktop/homescreen to many of the apps that could just be better websites.

Why not have a desktop application for Youtube? or facebook? because the net is suitable,
    Being able to use/share an "app" because it is stored in the cloud vs installed on the device has some appeals, that said it isn't ready yet, so apps still NEED to exist
    10-08-10 05:47 PM
    Apps are just as convenient as opening a bookmark in browser.
    10-08-10 05:50 PM
    Maybe for the first second you're launching something. Obviously BB users are used to crap apps in App World and haven't seen the value in high quality apps on other platforms.
    10-08-10 07:11 PM
    No way. Apps are in different formats and are much easier to use on devices.
    10-08-10 07:33 PM
    Why not have a desktop application for Youtube? or facebook? because the net is suitable
    I find apps to be much easier to use on devices, and Android actually has a good browser. Apps are smoother.

Also, why take away apps? I'm sure the developers really appreciate RIM trying to get rid of their jobs.
    10-08-10 07:41 PM
    Does anyone here travel overseas, used data connections, and paid the bill? I do all the time and the last thing I want is dependency on "the Cloud".
    And on these trips, on the airplanes, I see nothing but row upon row of BB's. They're all like me, people who want their comms without fuss or hassle, some backup apps that mirror what's on their laptops, and print media. I think what BB is trying to get across, if only the MSM would let them, is that they want to focus on the business functionality and not become a shill for "Frog Counter" or "Fart Machine". As the above post points out with (their) quarterly, the company is still in the black and I see no change because of or lack of the same interests of the supposed competition, which IMHO, there is none.
    10-08-10 07:44 PM
    Does anyone here travel overseas, used data connections, and paid the bill? I do all the time and the last thing I want is dependency on "the Cloud".
    And on these trips, on the airplanes, I see nothing but row upon row of BB's. They're all like me, people who want their comms without fuss or hassle, some backup apps that mirror what's on their laptops, and print media. I think what BB is trying to get across, if only the MSM would let them, is that they want to focus on the business functionality and not become a shill for "Frog Counter" or "Fart Machine". As the above post points out with (their) quarterly, the company is still in the black and I see no change because of or lack of the same interests of the supposed competition, which IMHO, there is none.
    Beautifully put!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-08-10 09:42 PM
    Word of the day: Minority
    10-08-10 09:52 PM
    I have to agree with Ol' Jimbo here. Many apps are nothing more than mere bookmarks but some are much more streamlined and make gathering info a bit easier.

All the apps I have are things that can't be accomplished via the browser or are a PITA to do like Facebook, Photobucket, Pandora, etc. I personally don't need a gazillion apps when I can access the same and fully featured content via the web on my Evo (on my Pre or iPhone 3G...not so much). Things like games, media players obviously need apps. But people aren't like me...they want a ton of apps, but I don't find a need to have every ******* app in existence lol.

Still the web will be where we do the majority of everything, so a strong browser like those on Android (fully featured, with Flash unlike Apple) is a big component. In my honest opinion the web browser on a device should be atleast half of the focus, with the other half being a robust system for applications and development of said apps. This 2 prong attack is something RIM has been failing miserably for the last 3 years now. The iPhone has been great in these 2 areas, as well as Android. RIM needs both, not just one. In all honesty if the browsing and apps AND hardware were as good as my Evo (well a 3GS at the time i left BB) for RIM maybe I wouldn't have jumped shipped from RIM.

10-08-10 09:52 PM
    All good points. Apps due deliver web content same as a browser. But I see them more as niche between mobile web sites that streamline info delivery but at a lesser user experience vs full web sites that give all the info, plus a lot more. And in some cases it is easier to open an app and get what you need then to open the browser hit a bookmark etc.

As there is more support for flash and HTML 5 Jim's vision may become more of a reality. However you could just view apps as another II for the web based content.

10-09-10 06:53 AM
    I'm on Android and I only have about a dozen apps, most for specialized things, such as a wifi analyzeer to see what networks are around, what channel they're using, and relative signal strength displayed graphically. Also, an app to monitor how much data I've sent/received over the cell and wifi networks. A game or two here and there.

I don't need apps for anything I do on the web, including facebook which I can load the full html page just fine on the native android browser in about the same amount of time my native BB browser could render the cb wap page.

I think RIM has dramatically underestimated how important the web is these days in terms of communication. Luckily other companies have picked up the ball and started to run with it. This is an exciting time for any technology nut, as I suspect we'll see smartphone innovation wars just like the processor speed wars on desktops and laptops.
    10-09-10 08:51 AM
    I think RIM has dramatically underestimated how important the web is these days in terms of communication.
    Up until now, yes. They have underestimated its importance. But the browsing experience that they plan to bring to the PlayBook (and eventually to BB phones) will eliminate the need for many apps.
    10-09-10 03:07 PM
    I have a different reaction to the article. I think that RIM's spokesmen are trapped by their company's failure to keep pace with the competition (browser, processors, screen resolution, apps, memory availability and so on).
    So instead they engage in doublespeak, since they cannot talk about any meaningful, exciting upcoming products.
    10-09-10 04:09 PM
    I have no access to the web when I'm in the air. I have no access to the web when I'm in remote communities, and here in Canada at least, when I'm driving between metropolitan centers. I have no access to the web when I'm in many buildings, in elevators or underground parking garages. Often I have very unreliable access to the web in developing nations.

When it's only on the web I have no control over when I can access it. And if the company whose web apps I'm using goes under or I have a fight with them, I have no guarantee of access to my data if I want to move it elswhere.

The cloud works for some things, but not for everything. If RIM is truly depending 100% on the web to replace apps they're going to lose.

- R.
    10-09-10 05:24 PM
    I have no access to the web when I'm in the air. I have no access to the web when I'm in remote communities, and here in Canada at least, when I'm driving between metropolitan centers. I have no access to the web when I'm in many buildings, in elevators or underground parking garages. Often I have very unreliable access to the web in developing nations.

When it's only on the web I have no control over when I can access it. And if the company whose web apps I'm using goes under or I have a fight with them, I have no guarantee of access to my data if I want to move it elswhere.

The cloud works for some things, but not for everything. If RIM is truly depending 100% on the web to replace apps they're going to lose.

- R.
    Jackass. You don't have a web in the conditions you are citing because you have no signal. When you have no signal that mobile device you have is a paperweight. It doesn't matter if it is based on a cloud or on RIM's NOC.

10-09-10 05:35 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD