RIM's Aggressive Leapfrog App Emulation, Porting Wizardry Jump-Starts Ecosystem - Seeking Alpha

Our takeaway is very bullish. RIMM can certainly reach the Goldman Sach's target of $17 per share before the BB10 launch later this month, assuming no external market breakdowns. The early reviewers are impressed with the hardware. CIOs appear supportive and receptive to the new device and platform because they are more concerned with security than ever before. Our earlier articles of a strategic buyout by Microsoft, Facebook, or even Carl Icahn could have worked if they acted faster. We think they missed their chance as the BB10 product seems to be catching interest and support from experts around the globe. And BB10 to be followed by a tablet product, which will only enhance the RIMM consumer offering. With the numbers of apps being downloaded and the prediction that television itself is at risk of quickly becoming obsolete by mobile devices, is there room for another player? We say absolutely, just like there was room for Mercedes and BMW in the U.S. after dominant GM and Ford.

Very long and well thought out article. Hit the link!
    01-09-13 10:29 AM
    Interesting piece.

"The naysayers in RIMM's future believe it's too late for it to catch up with the changing needs of smartphone users' habits."

But yet these no name small OS's like Tizen have likely success according to the same people? How is it not too late for them too????
    01-09-13 10:33 AM
    Interesting piece.

"The naysayers in RIMM's future believe it's too late for it to catch up with the changing needs of smartphone users' habits."

But yet these no name small OS's like Tizen have likely success according to the same people? How is it not too late for them too????
    Well for those people its never too late unless its RIM. They are just blinded by anti BB hate.
    01-09-13 10:45 AM
    I can see BlackBerry world having over 200k apps by the end of 2013 if everything goes to plan

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    01-09-13 12:12 PM
    I don't really understand why people here are so obsessed with the total number of apps. Being an Android users for ages, it is really not the total number that matters, but more about the quality and having timely new releases. There are bunch of creative new apps released every other months and I can tell you that most of them are on iOS exclusive first and then eventually Android get the port after few months of begging. BB10 is currently a even lower priority for most developers and that will eventually hurt its adoption.
    01-09-13 03:38 PM
    I don't really understand why people here are so obsessed with the total number of apps. Being an Android users for ages, it is really not the total number that matters, but more about the quality and having timely new releases. There are bunch of creative new apps released every other months and I can tell you that most of them are on iOS exclusive first and then eventually Android get the port after few months of begging. BB10 is currently a even lower priority for most developers and that will eventually hurt its adoption.
    I dont think people are obsessed with that, I think we understand its about perception. Even if BB10 has every single one of the top 1000 downloaded apps but had only 20k apps total the media would report BB10 has only 20k apps vs iPhone's 700k apps. We all agree having the top 1000 apps is far more important than the 99% of filler apps out there but for some reason it has become a competition on who can acquire the more apps regardless of quality.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    01-09-13 03:44 PM
    App count matters due there is a greater chance of me finding the 5 to 10 specialty apps (tier 2: not the most popular) I need if App World has 200K apps vs 100K.
    01-09-13 03:46 PM
    This will matter at first, the BB10 platform is stronger then this assumption. this idea will matter less and less at time moves on. With in one year we won't hear this anymore! You can bank on it!
    This issues has a lot more to do with the naysayers now as its one of the last items they have to hang on to and their loosing their grip!
    01-09-13 05:33 PM
    This will matter at first, the BB10 platform is stronger then this assumption. this idea will matter less and less at time moves on. With in one year we won't hear this anymore! You can bank on it!
    This issues has a lot more to do with the naysayers now as its one of the last items they have to hang on to and their loosing their grip!
    All you have to do is compare it to the WP8 launch.. MS launched it with only 5000 apps.. RIM is launching with over 70 000 apps and I can see the number going past 100k in the first month. RIM has their bases covered with apps for the most part.
    01-10-13 05:36 PM