I was doing my normal reading of blogs today and came across this article on techno buffalo and wanted to see what you guys think. I put my response to the article at the end.
    Will Android Support Help or Hurt RIM? | TechnoBuffalo

And for those who do not wish to leave the site to read it:
    With the rise of Android-powered devices, Google�s mobile operatingsystem has enjoyed a heightened level of developer support, an essential component in creating a modern software apparatus. Research In Motion (RIM), the Canadian consumer electronics manufacturer responsible for creating BlackBerries, has struggled to gain mass market appeal, but has held on to its core audience, enterprises.
    By releasing a slate with many of the security features that businesses have come to know and love, as well as a revamped, cleaner operating system, the BlackBerry PlayBook is poised to compete with the main competitors in the tablet niche. In recognizing the necessity for a noticeable developer presence at launch, RIM made the fateful decision to allow Android applications to run natively on its latest device. Is this a brilliant coalition, or will it spell doom for the company that paved the way for modern smartphone makers?

Apple�s head start in creating a formidable developmentplatform has become extremely prevalent with the increasing number of competitors. Many of these manufacturers have embraced Google�s Android platform to give users access to the 200,000 apps currently in existence. Other companies, notably HP, have decided to circumvent development presence completely, focusing on the integration of tablets into everyday activities. RIM executives revealed an apparent lack of confidence in the latest version of the company�s operating system when deciding to allow Android applications on BlackBerry devices.
    The native languages supported in app development for BlackBerry handsets are C and C++. Additionally, Flash, Java, and HTML5 are all supported on RIM�s devices, typically being used to power games. Android applications will be accommodated through a series of add-ons that will be made available through RIM�s app marketplace.
    Though Android support may increase hardware sales, there is no doubt that there will be serious repercussions for RIM if they choose to follow Google�s agenda. BlackBerry OS has stepped down from its mountain of prominence already, and with the recent shift to QNX, Android support gives current Android developers no reason to uphold RIM�s platform natively.
    Given the advantage of time, Apple has been given the ability to control its software platform, even with a seemingly-endless batch of developers launching applications on the device. Though RIM has invested in controlling its developerplatform, executives made the conscious decision to move away from an attached user experience. Android apps are less likely to utilize the processing power and user interface of the PlayBook, both of which have drawn significant attention from technology enthusiasts. RIM�s main challenge will become the integration of the PlayBook�s technologies with engaging functionality offered in third-party applications.
    In many ways, RIM has signed its proprietary operating system�s death warrant. As a developer, I would look at the situation and observe the lack of confidence in the unreleased tablet-oriented software and immediately shift my focus elsewhere. There is no longer any incentive for developers to stay with the company, pushing them to create applications on other platforms. RIM needs to make Android app support a last resort, but once the floodgates are open, there�s no telling how many applications will slip through its grasp. Perhaps the PlayBook is the end of an era and the beginning of a new one for RIM. Perhaps it signifies a shift from developing an operating system to focusing on delivering enterprise hardware to businesses while utilizing Google�s resources.
    But that is just one person�s opinion. What do you believe? Has RIM signed its own death warrant? Is there any way that this can turn out well for the Canadian consumer electronics manufacturer? Sound off in the comments below.
    This article is full of WHAT IF"s and bad reporting. RIM has in no way "abandoned" it's OS for the sake of using android apps. That's the way to spin you side of this but what it does is give RIM a platform to compete on. First of all they are not using the android market second they are showing the this little thing called QNX is not only capable of doing this but that by allowing android developers do this and get in on the ground level for free. This will also allow them to have other ways to get there apps out of the sand box and on to the native side of things without having to spend any money. Once you have an app in app world you (the developer) will have a number or upgrades to which will allow these developers to go natively.

Research is key, there is no way for apps to slide under the radar because these apps still have to go through the submission process so that security of said app is verified unlike the wild wild west of the android market. Like I said above when you are not spending a dime to get in and given the same privilege as any other developer with the amount of upgrades I as a developer will be able to than develope for the native side of things. Sign a death warrant, Really, you don't even believe that because it will increase the available number of apps while still pulling in millions of flash based developers. This will not only give RIM the best way to get the numbers (as it seems that number of apps is all that matters, quantity over quality) that RIM needs to seem like they have their **** together.

The one thing you got right in this article is that it is an end to the RIM platform that we know today hence the reason they are using a new OS. If the PlayBook was using Blackberry OS 6 all the reviews would be saying that they are still using an very outdated OS, but now that they have made a huge change in OS, UI, specs, and the capabilities of it's new environment they have signed a DEATH WARRANT! Now I know that this is just this sites and many others way to make everything RIM a thumbs down. Get your **** together and realize that the what RIM has managed to do in a year with QNX is in no way has been a small task but one that will make them very viable in the near future.
    Last edited by Sirhil; 04-18-11 at 06:05 AM.
    sf49ers likes this.
    04-17-11 03:19 PM
    It's spelled warrant NOT warrent
    04-17-11 03:23 PM
    What a terribly formatted and comically colored OP..

Mind reformatting that so that it's readable without causing eye damage?
    04-17-11 09:57 PM
    To the OP!

You need to look elsewhere for your facts.

My eyes hurt!
    04-18-11 05:30 AM
    hope that helps sorry for the misguided way of putting the article up.
    04-18-11 06:06 AM
    So by giving people access to apps from their platform AND Android they're showing that they don't think their software is good??? I'm confused.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-11 01:51 PM
    So by giving people access to apps from their platform AND Android they're showing that they don't think their software is good??? I'm confused.

The basic idea is that they're comparing this to what happened to IBM when they started allowing Windows 3.1 programs on their OS. Everyone just developed for Windows and IBM was forgotten.

Not saying I agree with it but that's a side of the argument.
    04-18-11 04:22 PM
    Based on this article and others in the theme, you'd think that app devs are the laziest bunch on Earth. Most are portrayed as too lazy to resubmit their apps even with the chance of a whole new revenue stream and no way would they actually use their skills and expertise to maybe make a native app for a new market in similar programming language to what they are used to using...
    04-18-11 04:42 PM
    Wow the media is stupid. This is a huge move and a good move IMO.
    04-19-11 01:48 PM
    I was doing my normal reading of blogs today and came across this article on techno buffalo and wanted to see what you guys think. I put my response to the article at the end.

And for those who do not wish to leave the site to read it:

This article is full of WHAT IF"s and bad reporting. RIM has in no way "abandoned" it's OS for the sake of using android apps. That's the way to spin you side of this but what it does is give RIM a platform to compete on. First of all they are not using the android market second they are showing the this little thing called QNX is not only capable of doing this but that by allowing android developers do this and get in on the ground level for free. This will also allow them to have other ways to get there apps out of the sand box and on to the native side of things without having to spend any money. Once you have an app in app world you (the developer) will have a number or upgrades to which will allow these developers to go natively.

Research is key, there is no way for apps to slide under the radar because these apps still have to go through the submission process so that security of said app is verified unlike the wild wild west of the android market. Like I said above when you are not spending a dime to get in and given the same privilege as any other developer with the amount of upgrades I as a developer will be able to than develope for the native side of things. Sign a death warrant, Really, you don't even believe that because it will increase the available number of apps while still pulling in millions of flash based developers. This will not only give RIM the best way to get the numbers (as it seems that number of apps is all that matters, quantity over quality) that RIM needs to seem like they have their **** together.

The one thing you got right in this article is that it is an end to the RIM platform that we know today hence the reason they are using a new OS. If the PlayBook was using Blackberry OS 6 all the reviews would be saying that they are still using an very outdated OS, but now that they have made a huge change in OS, UI, specs, and the capabilities of it's new environment they have signed a DEATH WARRANT! Now I know that this is just this sites and many others way to make everything RIM a thumbs down. Get your **** together and realize that the what RIM has managed to do in a year with QNX is in no way has been a small task but one that will make them very viable in the near future.
    If RIM allows their products to run programs from other operating systems, does this pose security issues?

Are they going to be able to gaurantee the tens of thousands of softwares to make sure each one is safe?

The one big thing I like about RIM for my applications, from what I have been informed the security is very high, and there is very little chance for me to have issues with this. I can operate my business and conduct my work without worry.

Jerry G.
    05-08-11 08:41 PM
    If RIM allows their products to run programs from other operating systems, does this pose security issues?

Are they going to be able to gaurantee the tens of thousands of softwares to make sure each one is safe?

The one big thing I like about RIM for my applications, from what I have been informed the security is very high, and there is very little chance for me to have issues with this. I can operate my business and conduct my work without worry.

Jerry G.
    android apps on the playbook are downloaded from appworld. the developers of these apps are subject to the same security qualifications required from other blackberry apps. additionally these apps run in a virtualized android environment, do if the app turns malicious its restricted to the android instance on the device. simply swipe up to kill the app and the instance of android, the device and personal data arent at risk.
    05-08-11 09:07 PM
    Personally I have had a similar worry. Although I know developers are not lazy, many work for businesses where time is money, if they develop an app for iOS and then port that code over to Andriod which can also run on the BB, why invest the money into developing for BB when you can invest into enhancements or new apps to bring in additional revenue? With the BB running the Andriod app there is already a revenue stream from the BB user's purchase, why invest more for the same revenue stream? For the same investment you get two revenue streams, thats a great business model for any development company.

I love BB, gave the IP4 a try it sits on my desk not being used as I moved back to my Torch and am typing this on my 32GB PB which hasn't had any issues from day one, so I hope this isn't a mistake on RIM's part.
    05-10-11 05:54 PM
    Is a developer less likely to code a native PlayBook app because the PlayBook will be able to run Android apps? Yes.

Does this mean developers will stop coding PlayBook apps? No.

Will there ultimately be fewer native PlayBook apps as a result of Android app compatibility? Probably.

Will any of the above matter if user needs are met? No. *

Easy!

05-10-11 06:16 PM
    in order for an android app to run on playbook it still needs to be converted over, then "signed", and submitted, and approved. you cant just take ANY andorid app and run it on the playbook. The Dev of the app MUST re-compile it for the playbook - rim just made this process VERY easy and no re-coding is needed.
    05-11-11 12:07 PM
    Kind of boggles my mind that basically porting an app over and making that porting process as simple as possible is now considered a death warrant for a platform?

Who gives a rats *** if the original code was QNX native or not, that was the whole point of porting the dalvik vm...

It's like the people who write these things have no clue what they're talking about...
    05-11-11 01:56 PM
    People just want to harp on RIM dying. I think their fine, I have my doubts sometimes because their decisions seem a little outlandish but to say that making Android Apps available to their phones and tablet is going to lead to their downfall.... That's outlandish.
    05-11-11 02:09 PM
    i think its because all those apps where designed for a 3-4.3 inch screen and not for a dual core processor. Honestly most of these apps work fine on an android tablet but there is also good room for improvement to make them a better tablet experience. Making so easy to port really takes away from the QNX development platform. there is no reason to redevelop apps when you can port and sell for the same price.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    05-11-11 03:35 PM
    I think that's kind of the point though. Without easy ports you have to "sell" the platform as a development time waster basically.

Now you don't. I think that arguing that RIM would be better off without the easy ports is not that easy of an argument to make...

A lot of wanted android apps are essentially "ports" of IOS apps, but they have to be ported the hard way.
    05-11-11 03:38 PM
    I think that's kind of the point though. Without easy ports you have to "sell" the platform as a development time waster basically.

Now you don't. I think that arguing that RIM would be better off without the easy ports is not that easy of an argument to make...

A lot of wanted android apps are essentially "ports" of IOS apps, but they have to be ported the hard way.
    i agree its not. BUT no one can complain when an android app gets ported and its real basic and doesnt really look or perform great on a bigger screen. Thats just the drawback RIM has created
    05-11-11 04:04 PM
    i agree its not. BUT no one can complain when an android app gets ported and its real basic and doesnt really look or perform great on a bigger screen. Thats just the drawback RIM has created
    And I think that's where the developer is committed. If they have already taken the "minimal" effort to port and there are users on Tablet OS that want improvements, then they have two choices, abandon or give customers what they want.

I think RIM is trying to set up a bait and switch here, re-compile your code in this environment, voila it works. But if you want to make it better for your users, they have to put some effort in.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    05-11-11 04:39 PM
    So porting apps over means we get sh*t, making it not wanted by tablet users
    Making them re-write native QNX means we don't get apps, making it not wanted by tablet users.

Seriously, RIM could release a tablet tomorrow with 1'000'000 native apps, 23982349834983498349803549hrs battery life, be 0.9mm thick, have a 512GHz processor, weigh in at 250g, have 1024TB HDD space, cost �500, and people would still say it's the worst thing ever. Even if everything worked perfectly. The media spin and twist everything to make RIM look weak and hated. Nothing RIM do is going to change that, no matter WHAT they do...
    05-11-11 05:23 PM
    To be honest it puts the PB in the same position as Honeycomb tablets, which is why it's not a real disadvantage...

They suffer from scaled up smartphone apps that are non HC tablet optimized. If they get optimized for Android tablet use, it's not a large differentiation to think that they (at least visually) would work fine on the PB.
    05-11-11 07:09 PM
    IMO I can only see the ability for RIM to run Android apps a plus for them and consumers.

Why would I buy an Android device if I can get Android + Blackberry rolled into one! Maybe I'm over simplifying it a bit, but you get the idea.
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    05-11-11 09:23 PM
    Ported apps will give the platform more appeal to consumers and lead to more sales since people buy into this whole idiocy that a platform is no use without 100k of apps you don't need.

Those higher sales will then make a bit more effort in optimising and enhancing apps for the platform more appealing since you will want your app to stand out from the crowd to get a larger share of that increased audience.
    05-12-11 03:58 AM
    The buzzword is ecosystem. Rim will now have two ecosystems to draw on, will the competition follow?

05-12-11 06:49 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD