RIM's sixth-largest investor to dump its entire stake

From BGR:
    Following RIM’s first-quarter earnings release on Thursday, the company’s sixth-biggest investor confirmed that it is giving up on the Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry maker. “They are resting on their laurels,” said Stephen Jarislowsky, chairman of Jarislowsky Fraser Ltd., on Friday in an interview with Bloomberg. “Steve Jobs is a much better marketer than RIM,” Jarislowsky added. ”We are on the way out. The stake has been reduced by more than 50% or even more.” As of the end of the first quarter, Jarislowsky Fraser Ltd. owned 10.2 million shares of RIM stock. Earlier on Friday, RBC Capital Markets said RIM still has some fight left in it. Sadly for RIM in this instance, it looks like not everyone agrees.

not a good sign.
    Last edited by brucep1; 06-17-11 at 11:09 AM.
    06-17-11 10:44 AM
    Rim will just have to take thier lumps and negative criticism until the new qnx phones come out and until they get more apps on the pb.
    brucep1 and eBud like this.
    06-17-11 10:47 AM
    Not surprising. Live by the numbers, die by the numbers!
    06-17-11 10:48 AM
    Rim will just have to take thier lumps and negative criticism until the new qnx phones come out and until they get more apps on the pb.
    I hope that this isn't a sign of more things to come...It may not be able to survive if it isnt
    06-17-11 10:48 AM
    The only ones who will be interested in the QNX devices that will be released in 2012 will be the existing BlackBerry users. It won't lure people on iOS and Android to jump ship and move to BlackBerry.
    big_time2, Machzy and revo2001 like this.
    06-17-11 10:50 AM
    Bad news keeps hitting. Can they ride the storm out?

I bet Lazardis and Basille are freaking out a little.

It makes me wonder if I should invest in BB for the next phone I buy. (which won't be for awhile.) Sad I love my phone.

Following RIM’s first-quarter earnings release on Thursday, the company’s sixth-biggest investor confirmed that it is giving up on the Waterloo, Ontario-based BlackBerry maker. “They are resting on their laurels,” said Stephen Jarislowsky, chairman of Jarislowsky Fraser Ltd., on Friday in an interview with Bloomberg. “Steve Jobs is a much better marketer than RIM,” Jarislowsky added. ”We are on the way out. The stake has been reduced by more than 50% or even more.” As of the end of the first quarter, Jarislowsky Fraser Ltd. owned 10.2 million shares of RIM stock. Earlier on Friday, RBC Capital Markets said RIM still has some fight left in it. Sadly for RIM in this instance, it looks like not everyone agrees.

Side note: Can we please make it a rule to copy and paste the article into the posts so we don't have to go read it somewhere else?
    06-17-11 10:51 AM
    The only ones who will be interested in the QNX devices that will be released in 2012 will be the existing BlackBerry users. It won't lure people on iOS and Android to jump ship and move to BlackBerry.
    That's opinion not fact. Tech users are fickle and we don't know what a finished QNX OS looks like. It's too early to tell.

By that same token bad news keeps coming and coming.
    06-17-11 10:52 AM
    That's opinion not fact. Tech users are fickle and we don't know what a finished QNX OS looks like. It's too early to tell.

Exactly, maybe the QNX on phones will be better than the PlayBook. No one really knows at this point.
    06-17-11 10:53 AM
    btw do not read the comments at the bottom of the article..i did and it just made me really angry
    06-17-11 10:58 AM
    btw do not read the comments at the bottom of the article..i did and it just made me really angry
    Standard comments you get from BGR readers.
    06-17-11 11:01 AM

You're right, it's just my opinion, but at the same time, there is a reason why RIM is in the position that it's in. I wouldn't hold your breath on how good a QNX powered device is, specifically with RIM's previous track record. Which is another reason why so many moved on to iOS and Android powered devices.
    06-17-11 11:07 AM
    It's BGR. What do you expect.
    06-17-11 11:08 AM
    This may end up being a good thing!!! RIM losing money may be the fuel that ignites the fire under their ***. Maybe this will force them to step their game up.
    06-17-11 11:09 AM
    Well if this is true then RIM knows where they can turn to when they begin to implement their share buy back plan.
    06-17-11 11:22 AM
    RIM should really focus on keeping customers happy and not wooing investors. Reacycling older devices in order to maintain profitability is hurting them right now. Shareholders will dump you as soon as you ran into trouble, loyal customer will stay by your side during tough times.

This message is approved by my transformer
    JoJoCal19 likes this.
    06-17-11 11:36 AM
    Not surprising. Live by the numbers, die by the numbers!
    Live Together, Die Alone
    06-17-11 11:39 AM
    You're right, it's just my opinion, but at the same time, there is a reason why RIM is in the position that it's in. I wouldn't hold your breath on how good a QNX powered device is, specifically with RIM's previous track record. Which is another reason why so many moved on to iOS and Android powered devices.
    Unfortunately for RIM your opinion is being shared by a lot more everyday!
    06-17-11 11:45 AM
    They're the 4th largest holder and they're dumping half of their stake. They will become the 6th largest after the sale.
    06-17-11 12:29 PM
    Exactly, maybe the QNX on phones will be better than the PlayBook. No one really knows at this point.
    It's almost irrelevant at this point if they aren't going to release it until 2012. It could fart gold, but it would be too late by then.
    06-17-11 12:54 PM
    What would make developers want to develop for the PB when RIM won't even release the number of PBs sold? That alone (as even stated by Kevin) gives the impression that there's give or take 200K PBs out in the wild. So the problem is that PB needs more and better apps, but who is going to develop them when the incentive isn't there?
    06-17-11 12:57 PM
    RIM should really focus on keeping customers happy and not wooing investors. Reacycling older devices in order to maintain profitability is hurting them right now. Shareholders will dump you as soon as you ran into trouble, loyal customer will stay by your side during tough times.

Completely agree.
    06-17-11 01:07 PM
    i don't see how qnx is going to save the day, i've read a plethora of articles and horror stories about developing for it, i can't see it overcoming the barren wasteland that is the app world to save anything. RIM needs to address concerns or everyone will bail.
    06-17-11 02:58 PM
    More bgr bs
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 03:01 PM
    i don't see how qnx is going to save the day, i've read a plethora of articles and horror stories about developing for it, i can't see it overcoming the barren wasteland that is the app world to save anything. RIM needs to address concerns or everyone will bail.
    Hopefully QNX will offer a uniformed experience and development platform which will make it easier for developer to make apps that can be used to all of RIM myrid devices,

Last edited by Ronindan; 06-17-11 at 03:46 PM.
    06-17-11 03:03 PM
    Hopefully QNK will offer a uniformed experience and development platform which will make it easier for developer to make apps that can be used to all of RIM myrid devices,

that would be ideal, at the end of the day, it's coming down to apps, unfortunately RIM seems to have totally fumbled in this scenario
    06-17-11 03:43 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD