Normally carriers have about 70 days inventory of BBs, however RIM's 6K filling shows only about 4 weeks inventory. Also RIM's management is forecasting the trend to continue next quarter.

Analyst ponders what this could mean:

RIM: Low Inventory, But Why? Ask Morgan Keegan - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

I think RIM is conserving cash and did not ramp up significant production due to shortage of components caused by Japan quake. RIM waited for better prices. Also perhaps RIM management wanted to gauge market sales of new BB 7 smartphones.

What do you think?
    09-20-11 08:08 PM
  2. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    interesting .. hopefully lots of new sales this quarter of the new bb OS7 phones will trigger an impressive performance this quarter which exceeds expectations! ....
    09-20-11 08:15 PM
    i think they are stuffing q2 with bad news (ie holding/not shipping inventory yet) so that q3 there will be a lot more 'sales'
    09-20-11 09:48 PM
    I'm just glad I am typing on my 9930 now. I feel sorry for those who waited, and now don't have any choice, but to wait more. They are missing out on the most enjoyable communication device to date.

I don't mind my phone being more exclusive for now
    09-20-11 10:22 PM
    Perhaps they are getting better at managing the channel so they don't need to have huge amounts of phones sitting in warehouses, which ties up capitol and costs them money.

It could also have been the carriers that demanded so much inventory, which may not have been really necessary.
    Last edited by SharpieFiend; 09-20-11 at 10:33 PM.
    09-20-11 10:31 PM
    It was certainly no fun running all around town trying to find a 9930 on my day off. Then again the more I couldnt find one the more determined I became not to go home without it! I won!!!
    Last edited by mom21; 09-21-11 at 06:06 AM. Reason: correcting mistakes made while 3/4 sleep
    09-20-11 10:34 PM
    This info alone is not enough to draw a judgement on RIM, since it could mean any of these (someone faster/smarter could have asked on their conference call and gotten the answer, but did not)...

--drawing down old inventory in advance of new OS7 entries, which will sell through quickly (to avoid getting stuck with old phones) - Good
    --slower production than wanted of new devices, resulting in shortage - Not Good
    --reducing cash consumption by tightening inventory - Not Good, but this is unlikely given their cash
    --improved supply chain needs shorter/smaller inventory - Good

Their comment about the trend continuing is just as broad without more info, although it could mean -- we'll be selling so fast as it arrives (and guidance indicted this) that the inventory will not have a chance to build

Again, just this one fact is not enough to indicate what is happening. But it does not seem to be a negative to me.
    09-20-11 10:46 PM
    My sister works at a VZW call center near Pittsburgh, PA in a town call Cranberry. Work as Tech and Global Support. She has heard multiple stores in the area have sold out of the 9930. Take that for what its worth (probably nothing, even if it is true) but its good to hear things like this!
    09-20-11 10:50 PM
    They're keeping inventory down due to capital constraints and better management. Historically, this year was an abboration. Inventory levels have been traditionally much lower. It looks like they're going back to those levels.
    09-20-11 10:59 PM
    Here is a suggestion: The new Bold 9930 is really an awesome phone so don't let your friends drone out into an apple store or droid device without showing them your Bold. So many of the people I've shown the Bold 9930 have gone out and picked up one or two BB for their families.
    Really, the processor is 20% faster, they have NFC, best keyboard ever, best e-mail, messaging and security. Also, they are built like tanks and just feel good. Lastly, when I played a youtube video for someone they almost started marching over to the Sprint store right then and there.
    If everyone of us Crackberry addicts shows their phone to one person then the user base will go through the roof. Being a compulsive type A I've already gotten 2 former BB users to come back, 2 new users and 3 upgrades.
    Maybe RIMM should pay me but I just love this new phones.
    09-20-11 11:38 PM
    Seriously??? No one has heard of lean practices? The savings realized from lower inventory costs make up for the few shortages...and shortage psychology encourages a hoarding trend that increases sales because no one wants to be without a product, buy now, rather than later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    menaknow likes this.
    09-20-11 11:40 PM
    My sister works at a VZW call center near Pittsburgh, PA in a town call Cranberry. Work as Tech and Global Support. She has heard multiple stores in the area have sold out of the 9930. Take that for what its worth (probably nothing, even if it is true) but its good to hear things like this!
    Cranberry Pitts? Honestly??
    09-21-11 03:30 AM
    I think RIM is conserving cash and did not ramp up significant production due to shortage of components caused by Japan quake. RIM waited for better prices. Also perhaps RIM management wanted to gauge market sales of new BB 7 smartphones.

What do you think?
    It is important to note that low inventory (as you noted) can be a sign of limited component availability. Consumer electronics isnt the only industry short on parts. A guy that works for me has a Chevy diesel truck (which has a duremax engine - which is an isuzu engine). He is months out on parts not in stock.
    09-21-11 06:18 AM
    It was certainly no fun running all around town trying to find a 9930 on my day off. Then again the more I couldnt find one the more determined I became not to go home without it! I won!!!
    Do not blame RIM for you running around town. Blame the carrier. If they ordered the devices from RIM they would have them.
    09-21-11 06:26 AM
    RIM is NOT out of devices. I would look at Verizon for the shortage. They order these from RIM and with even with only a 4 week supply, they are going to sell Verizon all they can pay for! It is likely the carriers being conservative in placing orders. Blackberry sales have not been the same at any carrier and the last thing they want is to get stuck with slow moving inventory. You know they got iPhones and Androids to sell too!
    Dapper37 likes this.
    09-21-11 06:34 AM
    Rogers is on back order in canada in their corporate sale channels
    09-21-11 09:58 AM
    RIM is NOT out of devices. I would look at Verizon for the shortage. They order these from RIM and with even with only a 4 week supply, they are going to sell Verizon all they can pay for! It is likely the carriers being conservative in placing orders. Blackberry sales have not been the same at any carrier and the last thing they want is to get stuck with slow moving inventory. You know they got iPhones and Androids to sell too!
    When did I say RIM was out of devices? Thats stupid. All i said was that VZW sold out of VZW's inventory at a few stores?! That means they'll selling. Period.

09-21-11 11:19 AM
    When did I say RIM was out of devices? Thats stupid. All i said was that VZW sold out of VZW's inventory at a few stores?! That means they'll selling. Period.

Where did I say you said that RIM was out of devices?

I said it, NOT YOU!

Reading comprehension is your friend!
    09-21-11 12:01 PM
    anyone else have the nagging feeling that a large part of this is due to people exchanging?
    it seems like every other person on these forums (incl me) have had to do at least one swap to get a non-defective 9900/9930.
    09-21-11 02:09 PM
    anyone else have the nagging feeling that a large part of this is due to people exchanging?
    it seems like every other person on these forums (incl me) have had to do at least one swap to get a non-defective 9900/9930.
    Not sure, but on this forum, you will find this type of thing with almost every new BB release.

I went through 5 9700s in 2 weeks do to faulty hardware. I went through 2 8330s (which wasn't a big deal). The only BB I had that never had hardware problems was my Bold 9000. Worked (hardware wise) beautifully out of the box and I bought one of the first batches from AT&T. I got it on release.

When the Storm first came out, some of the threads were ridiculous. Some people were going through 7+ Storms.

IMO BBs since the 9000 have been going further and further down in QC. My 9700s felt like a POS compared to my 9000. Every one had a noisy bezel, cheap clicky keyboard and a trackpad that was basically recessed into the device so far that it was way too annoying to use. I have played with the 9930 and it feels pretty nice in hard, but it IMO still doesn't feel as good as the 9000 and below.
    09-21-11 02:25 PM
    US Carriers are probably playing it safe with Blackberry stock in store. Better to not buy enough and sell out, and then get more than to order too many and have lots sitting on the shelves. With all the bad media stories and probably the low sales of Blackberry in the US for last few quarters who can blame them. If the OS7 devices continue to sell well then the orders and stock on hand will improve. I think AT&T is selling the 9810 so low because they had to order so many from RIM to keep exclusivity and they want to sell them as quick as possible so that they can carry the bold too while not risk sitting on a ton of 9810's. Anyway I think RIM sales will improve in the US because of OS7, and they will continue to grow international.
    09-21-11 02:51 PM
    Not sure, but on this forum, you will find this type of thing with almost every new BB release.
    I hadn't realized this. The reason I swapped mine out was because the plastic film covering the trackpad (and row of buttons) had a gap at the top and felt abrasive against my thumb when moving between the screen and the touchpad. Everything else was fine with the device.
    09-21-11 03:08 PM
    I hadn't realized this. The reason I swapped mine out was because the plastic film covering the trackpad (and row of buttons) had a gap at the top and felt abrasive against my thumb when moving between the screen and the touchpad. Everything else was fine with the device.
    Well it says you joined last year, but I don't know how long you have actually been viewing the site.

The 8900 and Tour forums were filled with complains as well. My friend went through 4 Tours because the trackball would stop working/moving/sensing anything. I believe the 8900 had these problems as well. The 9000 had a lot of complaints too (creaky bezel on many units, pressing volume, call, end, BB and back keys would screen with the LCD screen making ripples).

Every device has problems, but on forums you will see them the most.
    09-21-11 03:19 PM
    combination of things maybe? I've listed in order what I think are the reasons

1-Not get stuck with a bunch of overstock they cant sell (ie the playbook rumored to have 800k units sitting in inventory) Not ordering a large amout until they have a sense of the demand.
    2-Lotsa swaps for defective hardware
    3-Not tying up cash in inventory.
    4-Slow production
    5-Lack of components or waiting for better pricing
    09-21-11 03:44 PM
    Cranberry Pitts? Honestly??
    Yes. Cranberry outside of Pittsburg, PA. You can go get a job there with her too if you'd like: [LINK]
    09-21-11 08:36 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD