Regarding the article:

BlackBerry 7: Dead on Arrival? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A letter against the trolling media:

------------------------------------------------------
    Dear PCMag,

After reading the opinion piece titled "Blackberry 7: Dead on Arrival?" by Sascha Segan, I felt a sense of bias against Research in Motion and its new Blackberry phones. I understand it is an opinion piece where authors are free to give their views on current issues. However, the tone of the article would insist the opinion is similiar to those shared in the mainstream of technology media: RIM is dead. As a frequent reader of PCMag, I am disappointed that the one of the authors of PCMag reiterated the same fate for new Blackberry products before the public has the chance to buy them or the author has a chance to review them.

The facts are clear that these new devices are on par with the current smartphone competition. The features of all Blackberry devices such as easy email integration, BBM, efficient data usage, and great battery life are completely disregarded on top of substantial hardware and software improvements.

It is also clear the past year has seen reduced market share and stock value in the US for RIM. The company has made some layoffs and has been criticized for their lackluster phones. Some of this criticism is justified, while most is not. Their growth in international markets is substantial, their profit is among the best, and their phones are indeed very well made despite some shortcomings.

The opinions stated through PCMag have an impact on the public. I believe that opinion's expressed on a reputable media outlet such as PCMag requires the writings of an unbiased author backed up by relevant facts and sources. The strong suggestion by Mr. Segan that the new unreleased Blackberry 7 products are "dead on arrival" ignores an author's commitment to their audience and undermines the integrity of both themselves as an author and PCMag as a trusted technology source.

In the extremely competitive business of smartphones, I am asking for more objectivity on the issue at a time where there seems to be very little in the mainstream. I believe that effort in this regard will go a long way to re-affirming PCMag's reputation as a trusted source as others media outlets turn to favoritism and fear-mongering to generate an audience. While Mr. Segan has also mentioned the potential of RIM in the future due to carrier ties, the quality of the new Blackberry devices are independent of this fact. The last part of the opinion piece appears like a forced back-handed compliment to RIM's carrier relationship while using this to justify the dismissal of their smartphone quality.

I am hoping that this opinion based on a lack of reliable information or sources is not characteristic of PCMag's content or viewpoint. I sincerely hope that in the future, opinions on the viability of smartphone manufacturers be distinctly different from the quality of their products.

Thank you for you time,

Sincerely,

Chiefbroski

---------------------------------------------------

I encourage others to send letters to companies employing these journalists who engage in trolling and misleading the public on Blackberry products.
    01itr, shupor, Bobcat665 and 16 others like this.
    08-04-11 12:46 PM
    The poor author is being ripped to shreds in the comments. EDIT: Just because I Said poor, it does not mean I agree or am defending him.

I'm hoping this brings PCMag's attention to the subject.

Tech media is such a mess these days I don't even bother reading stuff. :/
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-04-11 at 12:58 PM.
    08-04-11 12:54 PM
    Regarding the article:

BlackBerry 7: Dead on Arrival? | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

A letter against the trolling media:

------------------------------------------------------
    Dear PCMag,

After reading the opinion piece titled "Blackberry 7: Dead on Arrival?" by Sascha Segan, I felt a sense of bias against Research in Motion and its new Blackberry phones. I understand it is an opinion piece where authors are free to give their views on current issues. However, the tone of the article would insist the opinion is similiar to those shared in the mainstream of technology media: RIM is dead. As a frequent reader of PCMag, I am disappointed that the one of the authors of PCMag reiterated the same fate for new Blackberry products before the public has the chance to buy them or the author has a chance to review them.

The facts are clear that these new devices are on par with the current smartphone competition. The features of all Blackberry devices such as easy email integration, BBM, efficient data usage, and great battery life are completely disregarded on top of substantial hardware and software improvements.

It is also clear the past year has seen reduced market share and stock value in the US for RIM. The company has made some layoffs and has been criticized for their lackluster phones. Some of this criticism is justified, while most is not. Their growth in international markets is substantial, their profit is among the best, and their phones are indeed very well made despite some shortcomings.

The opinions stated through PCMag have an impact on the public. I believe that opinion's expressed on a reputable media outlet such as PCMag requires the writings of an unbiased author backed up by relevant facts and sources. The strong suggestion by Mr. Segan that the new unreleased Blackberry 7 products are "dead on arrival" ignores an author's commitment to their audience and undermines the integrity of both themselves as an author and PCMag as a trusted technology source.

In the extremely competitive business of smartphones, I am asking for more objectivity on the issue at a time where there seems to be very little in the mainstream. I believe that effort in this regard will go a long way to re-affirming PCMag's reputation as a trusted source as others media outlets turn to favoritism and fear-mongering to generate an audience. While Mr. Segan has also mentioned the potential of RIM in the future due to carrier ties, the quality of the new Blackberry devices are independent of this fact. The last part of the opinion piece appears like a forced back-handed compliment to RIM's carrier relationship while using this to justify the dismissal of their smartphone quality.

I am hoping that this opinion based on a lack of reliable information or sources is not characteristic of PCMag's content or viewpoint. I sincerely hope that in the future, opinions on the viability of smartphone manufacturers be distinctly different from the quality of their products.

Thank you for you time,

Sincerely,

Chiefbroski

---------------------------------------------------

I encourage others to send letters to companies employing these journalists who engage in trolling and misleading the public on Blackberry products.
    What lack of reliable information? You said it yourself, it is an opinion piece. Why don't you write letters to all the journalists who speak badly about RIM? It's not just this journalist. Everyone is down on RIM. Until they do something to drastically change public persona, I don't see these articles stopping anytime soon.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-04-11 12:59 PM
    Lack of reliable information = Nobody but RIM has completely reviewed the Blackberry 7 lineup and the author dismisses the phones as inadequate and having an outdated OS. This is ignorance.

Also, I know its an opinion piece, but when you write for a media corporation, your writing reflects on that company. All I'm asking is if PCMag acknowledges their article's content. I'm inquiring whether PCMag thinks that this author's views are in line with their principles.

If so, then we can deduce that PCMag is against RIM, not just the author.

I'm trying to get some accountability from the companies who hire these journalists. The same goes for news agencies.
    08-04-11 01:10 PM
    Good for you.
    08-04-11 01:14 PM
    First off, you (and many other fanboys) need to cool it with this "you are either with us or against us" stuff. Reporting information that reflects negatively upon RIM, or, gasp, writing an opinion piece that has validity (if you are not wearing RIM tinted glasses) is not reason to proclaim that a media source has it out for RIM. The rejection and immediate dismissal of "anti" RIM material by this community makes me think that many of you might enjoy living in North Korea or Cuba... "All is well, nothing to see here, we have it all under control, etc."

Dismissing what is essentially OS6.1 as outdated is not ignorance, it is acknowledging the truth that RIM is behind the times. What IS ignorance is your immediate dismissal of the claim because you don't want to hear it.
    More than once we said we know RIM and the BlackBerry platform has issues. Nobody is denying that.

Saying that OS7 phones are dead on arrival without having a go with them is ignorance. It's like saying you don't like apples (no pun intended) when you never ate one.

I was going to skip the whole 7 lot and wait for QNX, but the 9860 had me doubting my resolve... That phone is on pair (if not better) than my friends' Androids. Lacking on the apps side, for sure, but that's about it.
    08-04-11 01:24 PM
    First off, you (and many other fanboys) need to cool it with this "you are either with us or against us" stuff. Reporting information that reflects negatively upon RIM, or, gasp, writing an opinion piece that has validity (if you are not wearing RIM tinted glasses) is not reason to proclaim that a media source has it out for RIM. The rejection and immediate dismissal of "anti" RIM material by this community makes me think that many of you might enjoy living in North Korea or Cuba... "All is well, nothing to see here, we have it all under control, etc."

Dismissing what is essentially OS6.1 as outdated is not ignorance, it is acknowledging the truth that RIM is behind the times. What IS ignorance is your immediate dismissal of the claim because you don't want to hear it.
    People are just hella tired of hearing it. I mean how many articles a day are written on it? 20 or 30. Every. Single. Day. It gets old. What's annoying is that without giving a product/company a true chance they really are contributing to the decline of a company.

Biased reporting is becoming the norm for every subject matter. There is no objectivity in the media anymore and blogs are pawned off as news articles. It's really disgusting to me and has been a complaint of mine for the past 3 years.
    08-04-11 01:34 PM
    I think I was pretty diplomatic in my letter in saying that I acknowledge the difficulties RIM is having. As a Storm user, I know first-hand the problems they have with their handsets. I believe in waiting for an actual review or source talking about the drawbacks of the BB7 devices before suggesting them as "dead on arrival".

I didn't see a big difference between iOS versions, but they still gave it a new version number. Apple has done a fine job and can call it whatever they like.

I'm not asking for a RIM-praising story.There's nothing wrong with writing something negative about the current Blackberry devices as they have many drawbacks and carry inferior hardware. But the OS7 devices? These meet the hardware specs of the average high-end smartphone and have the responsiveness.

Oh, and cxg331, there's a difference between a fanboy and a hater. You, good sir, are the latter.
    Buzz_Dengue and Jake Storm like this.
    08-04-11 01:40 PM
    More than once we said we know RIM and the BlackBerry platform has issues. Nobody is denying that.

Saying that OS7 phones are dead on arrival without having a go with them is ignorance. It's like saying you don't like apples (no pun intended) when you never ate one.

I was going to skip the whole 7 lot and wait for QNX, but the 9860 had me doubting my resolve... That phone is on pair (if not better) than my friends' Androids. Lacking on the apps side, for sure, but that's about it.
    In what categories?

I am not picking an argument, either. I am truly curious for personal reasons.
    08-04-11 01:42 PM
    In what categories?

I am not picking an argument, either. I am truly curious for personal reasons.
    -Screen resolution is above average for high-end smartphones.
    -768mb of memory (which is neccesarily higher for bbs so it doesn't matter too much as long as its over 512mb)
    -HSPA+ is average (some are other phones are LTE and hence faster there)
    -1.2Ghz is maybe slightly below average, but nowhere near inadequate (see iphone's cpu)
    -Camera is about average
    -Browser is above average for suuuure (check sunspider, html5, and page loading times, the 9900 is quick)
    -Battery life.....I can't say for sure, but I'd put some money on the bb lasting longer than the equivalent android
    -720p video is pretty average

All in all, its about as middle of the pack for high-end smartphones as for as specs go. (please correct me if I'm wrong)
    diegonei likes this.
    08-04-11 02:03 PM
    -Screen resolution is above average for high-end smartphones.
    -768mb of memory (which is neccesarily higher for bbs so it doesn't matter too much as long as its over 512mb)
    -HSPA+ is average (some are other phones are LTE and hence faster there)
    -1.2Ghz is maybe slightly below average, but nowhere near inadequate (see iphone's cpu)
    -Camera is about average
    -Browser is above average for suuuure (check sunspider, html5, and page loading times, the 9900 is quick)
    -Battery life.....I can't say for sure, but I'd put some money on the bb lasting longer than the equivalent android
    -720p video is pretty average

All in all, its about as middle of the pack for high-end smartphones as for as specs go. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

This means very little on the current blackberry OS. Period.
    08-04-11 02:11 PM
    1) I was just trying to help out a fellow member

2) I think it means I can:

-Take better pictures than my Storm
    -Load web pages faster
    -Read text clearer
    -My phone lasts longer throughout the day (arguable)
    -Install more apps
    -Record higher quality video
    -Reduce lag
    -Open web pages I couldn't read before

So it means a lot to me.
    08-04-11 02:28 PM
    What does this mean? Were you hoping to upgrade?
    08-04-11 02:34 PM
    People are just hella tired of hearing it. I mean how many articles a day are written on it? 20 or 30. Every. Single. Day. It gets old. What's annoying is that without giving a product/company a true chance they really are contributing to the decline of a company.

Biased reporting is becoming the norm for every subject matter. There is no objectivity in the media anymore and blogs are pawned off as news articles. It's really disgusting to me and has been a complaint of mine for the past 3 years.
    PCMage wasn't always ****. Blogs are their competition and they have to do anything they can to put food on the table. I rationalize it as a race to the bottom, the lowest common denominator. Reporting used to be respectable now its the paparazzi. It's who can yell the loudest the longest. These reporters are not reporters they are mouth pieces looking for 10 cents a click
    08-04-11 02:42 PM
    Apps seems to be the biggest sticking point at the moment, and with that argument no one will ever be able to compete with Apple or Android. Because you need to start some where and starting means not as many apps. Take away the apps and put these new BBs next to the competition with what they come with out of the box and I think the new BBs would compete well and outshine in many areas. Also will be interesting with the new data caps how the BB could save people money.

If I want to play games I will get an iPod Touch.
    bAAx likes this.
    08-04-11 03:33 PM
    Not a great analogy. None of us have to go hands on with every OS7 device to understand how these devices will fit into the market. We've had apples before. In fact, we've had these same apples before.
    Meaning? If you're gonna argue, then argue. Don't just come and say little to nothing and expect us to agree.

He didn't have the phones. Period. He can't say anything about them BUT speculation. I know for one, the videos had me sold on the 9850. If I can get the device cheap, I'll go for it. Prior to that, I was bent on waiting for QNX phones.

Wikititude alone says a lot about wikitude the devices and their potential.

OS 7 devices might not be the <insert favorite brand here>-killer, but it does put RIM back in the right direction.

And you know what? I don't want competition-killers. Competition is awesome.
    08-04-11 03:36 PM
    Yes the non professionalism of some of the media gets to me. I was watching a fairly popular video blog/webcast the other day. Of course RIM's new line up was a topic. When the moderator brought it up, you could hear in the audio one of the panel members (off camera) purposefully snickering into the microphone. I thought wow that's really childish. I mean, if you have negative comments that is one thing. But to act like a 12 year old just because you are living in "iPhone land" or whatever is silly.
    sf49ers likes this.
    08-04-11 04:22 PM
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. You obviously think that these devices offer something new (hence your apples analogy), while I think the opposite.
    you are no different than the PCMag author just nothing but speculating without even using one.
    08-04-11 05:08 PM
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. You obviously think that these devices offer something new (hence your apples analogy), while I think the opposite.
    There was no analogy. Change it to acaraj�s. Forget the apples.

Apple (with a capital A) is competition and as I said, competition IS great. The more the merrier. They fight, we win. If you knew me, you'd know I have nothing against the other platforms. RIM pretty much invented the smartphone. Apple took it to the next level, inventing the smartphone experience people everyone has been trying to duplicate. I have nothing against them.

That said, I wish we could live in Round Robin spirit all year. :/

EDIT: Darn cxg331! Now I am craving an acaraj�!
    Last edited by diegonei; 08-04-11 at 05:22 PM.
    08-04-11 05:16 PM
    The only way to justify the price for such a device would be to build a time machine and go back to 2010. The new phones don't compare to the worst of androids offerings.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What an intelligent post! I am so glad you are on these forums! Yay! It'll be great to have you here!
    08-04-11 06:02 PM
    "Originally Posted by Super Droid 55: The only way to justify the price for such a device would be to build a time machine and go back to 2010. The new phones don't compare to the worst of androids offerings."
    I see a "Thank" and "Like" button. Where's the "Ludicrous" button? Please add. Thanks.
    Last edited by southlander; 08-04-11 at 06:09 PM.
    08-04-11 06:06 PM
    Easy way to fix the lack of apps is match dollar for dollar every dollar spent on an app in app world.. It would entice developers to build BBos apps.

OR pay developers of popular apps to produce the apps for the BBos.

Or better Yet, Make it completely free for Devs to sell their apps in appworld.. Ie don't take a cut off the top.
    08-04-11 09:54 PM
    Easy way to fix the lack of apps is match dollar for dollar every dollar spent on an app in app world.. It would entice developers to build BBos apps.

Or better Yet, Make it completely free for Devs to sell their apps in appworld.. Ie don't take a cut off the top.
    I actually agree... something atypical to spur development.
    08-04-11 10:35 PM

You must be kidding not to take a cut off the top. Might as well kill App World and get developers to publish their apps themselves on some obscure website. The cut is justified for the exposure and marketing App World gives. It takes time and money to screen/approve apps, provide a storefront which is easily accessible, backend hardware maintenance to ensure there's no downtime etc.

First off, like Android, there are so many screen sizes for a single app you write. Then there's BBOS4/5/6/7. Ice Cream Sandwich will solve this since there's no hardware requirement, meaning every Android phone out there will have the same OS version. RIM is also looking forward to this solution, aka the Highlander "there can only be one" OS we heard of some time ago, but nobody knows when it'll come. And even when they announce it, it'll take even longer to arrive.
    08-04-11 11:49 PM
    I think an introductory period where developers get 100% of proceeds could work.
    08-04-11 11:56 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD