So RIMM got killed in after hours trading the other day..anyone worried about RIMMS future? I love RIMM and Blackberry but their taking a beating!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-11 09:43 AM
    So RIMM got killed in after hours trading the other day..anyone worried about RIMMS future? I love RIMM and Blackberry but their taking a beating!
    RIMM is taking a hit right now, but it could be worse. Anybody who's been following RIM/BB over the last year or so could have predicted this. They're in a much needed rebuilding stage (and should be retooling too, but that's another debate), so lower stock value is to be expected. Now it remains to be seen if they successfully return to the competitive market; which IMHO they will. Unfortunately, it's a long process to complete as they can't just go Willy Wonka and close their gates and remain unseen until they're finished.

Its spelled rim=research in motion
    When referencing it in the stock market, it's RIMM. So the OP is correct. And if you're going to correct someone's spelling... your use of "its" should have been "it's".
    Last edited by rmjones101; 04-30-11 at 10:01 AM.
    04-30-11 09:58 AM
    I think the new devices coming out will really have to set the stage for the next few years to come. Plus paired with the new OS and all the features, RIM should fair well!

04-30-11 10:17 AM
    Anatomy of failure: Mobile flops from RIM, Microsoft, and Nokia | Phones - Page 1 | Macworld

This is one of the most insightful pieces I've read on the subject. It is a long read, but well worth it.
    04-30-11 11:30 AM
    Anatomy of failure: Mobile flops from RIM, Microsoft, and Nokia | Phones - Page 1 | Macworld

This is one of the most insightful pieces I've read on the subject. It is a long read, but well worth it.
    Oh yeah, an article from MacWorld is going to be very enlightning, lol.
    04-30-11 12:02 PM

While there is no doubt Apple is enjoying a lot of success right now and others are struggling to keep up, I have to say that is one of the worst written articles I have ever read. I would have gotten less of a headache if a 6 year old had writen it.

04-30-11 12:37 PM
    Not to mention that it should be "they're" taking a beating - not "their".
    04-30-11 02:27 PM
    Anywayyyysss

They sure are taking a beating right now. I wish they would change it CEO structure to only one. Having two makes things wayyy too difficult.

04-30-11 02:41 PM
    I've had the stock for many years. I will start to worry in about 7 years. At that time I predict they will be defunct or on top of the heap.

Either way as a consumer, it doesn't make any difference to me. I usually don't buy products by consulting the finanials within the company's annual statement, unless they are doing something against my grain, then I don't buy their product period.
    Last edited by i7guy; 04-30-11 at 04:31 PM.
    04-30-11 04:26 PM
    Oh yeah, an article from MacWorld is going to be very enlightning, lol.
    It was very enlightening! Taught me to never read anything from there again. I don't have a Playbook yet but even I know the featured game on it is not Tetris(even though I do love that its on there!!). They should put a little more effort into their writing. Not that it seems they care about having the right facts. It's those sort of articles that give people the wrong impression. They must know people that visit that site will believe what they are saying, then go off to their friends and tell them.

04-30-11 07:59 PM
    Anywayyyysss

They sure are taking a beating right now. I wish they would change it CEO structure to only one. Having two makes things wayyy too difficult.

I totally agree with this. A single CEO model is always the best, there should be no confusion in leadership and it should be clear who is in charge.

RIM is a very good technology company which holds lot of enviable IP. But the problem has been the ability of it's leadership to deliver right products at the right time. Also, they tend to over-promise and under-deliver.
    BBC fiasco and PlayBook launch fiasco clearly shows the media management skills of the company is far from desired.

OEMs like HTC, Samsung, LG have very short product development lifecycle. The speed at which they can bring a new product to the market is quite amazing. There are lot of products out there which haven't gone through best engineering process like HTC Evo or Thunderbolt which have got ridiculous battery life. But unfortunately they have got the X factor that general public looks for and they are managing good sales.

Apple doesn't have such a short product development lifecyle, but they delivery product which is quite current or ahead in features. They have amazing media management skills, very good marketing and they understand the consumer better than any other tech company.

RIM IMO has all the potential to become one of the biggest tech companies in terms of valuation. But will it's management execute things in the right way in this fiercely competitive market needs to be seen.
    howarmat likes this.
    04-30-11 08:40 PM
    Changing the CEO structure is only the beginning. I'm of the opinion that changing CEOs is what is needed. They just don't "get" it, they need someone with vision/ambition.
    04-30-11 08:43 PM
    Either way as a consumer, it doesn't make any difference to me. I usually don't buy products by consulting the finanials within the company's annual statement, unless they are doing something against my grain, then I don't buy their product period.
    One obvious point to make about their financials, they are a rather different thing than their stockprice because they keep having record quarters even through this transitional phase that has seen the stockprice go down.
    05-01-11 05:23 AM
    I totally agree with this. A single CEO model is always the best, there should be no confusion in leadership and it should be clear who is in charge.
    Weird, how nobody was declaring such things all the time the current setup was continuing to grow.

PlayBook launch fiasco clearly shows the media management skills of the company is far from desired.
    Fiasco in what sense? They entered a completely new market for them with a product that will have knock-on benefits to their core area in the future, got reviews that were critical but had many positives and proceeded to outsell any tablet not made by apple. Now obviously, there were things they could and should have done better and I am sure they would be happy to admit that, but to term the launch a fiasco is nothing more than unfounded hyperbole.

OEMs like HTC, Samsung, LG have very short product development lifecycle. The speed at which they can bring a new product to the market is quite amazing. There are lot of products out there which haven't gone through best engineering process like HTC Evo or Thunderbolt which have got ridiculous battery life. But unfortunately they have got the X factor that general public looks for and they are managing good sales.
    I am sure that reducing time to market for new products is bound to be a primary concern for rim and seeing them move to almost all of their new products being based on the same chip seems like one way they are addressing that issue.

As far as managing good sales, have you looked at how many devices rim are selling each quarter? The way some people talk it was like these companies were selling billions and rim was lucky to sell double figures when the reality is somewhat different.
    05-01-11 05:36 AM
    If this transition phase they are in now doesn't produce results when QNX hits the handheld then RIM will be done and bought. You get one shot and they are already behind because they waited so long to start this transition.
    05-01-11 08:50 AM
    Weird, how nobody was declaring such things all the time the current setup was continuing to grow.

Fiasco in what sense? They entered a completely new market for them with a product that will have knock-on benefits to their core area in the future, got reviews that were critical but had many positives and proceeded to outsell any tablet not made by apple. Now obviously, there were things they could and should have done better and I am sure they would be happy to admit that, but to term the launch a fiasco is nothing more than unfounded hyperbole.

I am sure that reducing time to market for new products is bound to be a primary concern for rim and seeing them move to almost all of their new products being based on the same chip seems like one way they are addressing that issue.

As far as managing good sales, have you looked at how many devices rim are selling each quarter? The way some people talk it was like these companies were selling billions and rim was lucky to sell double figures when the reality is somewhat different.
    Dual ceo model might have worked in the past when competition wasn't this fierce. One other company I know which used dual-ceo model is Wipro. This model back fired and the company lost market share from other companies which have leaner management and faster decision making. Recently both the CEOs were shown door and a new CEO has taken charge.

i call PlayBook launch a fiasco because I strongly believe that it is by far the best tablet out there. if the media management and marketing skills were as good as it should have been the product should have got very good reviews and sales should have kicked off in a big way. The product is selling well on its own merits.

The number of handsets being sold is still good because
    a. RIM is doing well in mid and low end smartphone market
    b. doing well in non-US markets

Sales in the high end market is far from desired. unless the company can get new products out there in the high end segment much faster than they have been doing RIM will continue losing market share in this segment and it will hurt profits and also investor and media perception of this company.

ps: managed to type this on my lovely PlayBook although it could have been easier with auto-correction feature. If they can put the qnx based phone project on steroids that can change everything.
    05-01-11 09:55 AM
    RIM's problems are based in the shortcomings of Blackberry devices. The shortcomings of Blackberry devices are far more do with perception than reality. Mike and Jim have failed badly to arrest the flawed perceptions surrounding the quality of the Blackberry platform.
    We've seen with Ryan Biden how a strong clear coherent voice can do a good job in presenting the platform. It's time for Mike and Jim to just shut up. Say nothing and let polished coherent voices like Ryan Biden represent the public face of RIM.
    05-01-11 01:40 PM
    Wow great article there, Stevie J!

05-01-11 03:52 PM
    Perception VS Reality Really????????...Rimm has been circling the drain for at least 2 years now and is well on there way to being equal to palm. There devices are underpowered and are a POS compared to Android and Iphone. Management at Rimm should be fired for there debacle of not keeping up with technology. I would almost believe they were being bought off behind the scenes by Google. All of the phones Rimm is currently making are several years behind Android...Wake uo folks RIMM Sucks these days..Time to jump ship to a real phone
    I'll wait for the OS7 phones coming out soon and make my own judgement, thank you. Why is it everyone who leaves Blackberry for Droids or iPhones think they need to come back here to Crackberry to "convert" us?
    05-01-11 04:36 PM
    Perception VS Reality Really????????...Rimm has been circling the drain for at least 2 years now and is well on there way to being equal to palm. There devices are underpowered and are a POS compared to Android and Iphone. Management at Rimm should be fired for there debacle of not keeping up with technology. I would almost believe they were being bought off behind the scenes by Google. All of the phones Rimm is currently making are several years behind Android...Wake uo folks RIMM Sucks these days..Time to jump ship to a real phone
    First off, Android doesn't make phones; several other manufacturers make phones that run the Android OS. And for the most part, the hardware that runs those phones has to be higher spec to run Android. 'Underpowered' is relative. There are plenty of new phones being produced, many by the same manufacturers that build Android-powered devices, that are not top-spec. Are they all years behind the technology too?

Secondly, all that being said, I'll argue that the Torch is not years behind iPhone or the phones that run Android. The processor in the Torch is actually rated at 1 ghz but has been under-clocked to provide what RIM considers adequate battery life, because they don't believe their users should be shackled to a charger.

Six months ago, I had my choice of phones. I could have gotten an iPhone or any number of higher-spec'd Androids, but I stayed with BlackBerry because I simply prefer how it works. And if I had to make the same choice today with the Atrix and T-bolt that weren't out back then, I'd still pick the Torch. It's not all about the spec sheet.

Yes there are things that could be improved on BlackBerry phones; but they still work and do everything that many people need a phone to do. And yes, they have been too slow to keep up with technology, and they are now getting clobbered for that. Misstep? For certain. Fatal? Hardly. Not everybody makes all the right decisions every step of the way. Google has certainly had its share of miscalculations (Wave, Answers, and Orkut, just to name a few); and let's not forget that it wasn't all that long ago that Apple was on death's doorstep, to be saved by an influx of cash from, of all places, Microsoft.

And finally, RIM is on 'their' way, not 'there' way, if you really want to be taken seriously.
    bcso48 likes this.
    05-01-11 04:43 PM
    The next year for RIM will be extremely crucial if they are to succeed and prosper in the mobile device arena. I consider myself to be the average informed consumer so let me explain my decision making process so far this year.

Playbook:
    I want one. I really do. However I cannot bring myself to spend $500 on something that is just not remotely close to being done in my mind. If RIM can get the bugs worked out and get some good apps on the device they will have my $500. But as it is right now that $ is still in my pocket

Bold Touch:
    I want one. I really do. However I cannot bring myself to spend $200+ dollars and sign a 2 year contract for a 3G device. 2011 is the "year of the 4G" or whatever you want to call it... why is RIM behind on this? Also, will the Bold Touch run the QNX OS? The bottom line is I am not going to buy the Bold Touch and within a year be looking at a 4G QNX beast of a phone through the window wishing I could get one. I will wait so yet again my $ stays in my pocket.

I just outlined my personal experience this year but I am guessing I am not in this boat alone. If RIM could answer the questions I have above and provide me with a device that would meet my needs the $ would no longer be in my pocket.

As it is I will probably make a playbook 2/bold "yet to be announced" purchase sometime in mid-2012. RIM's loss not mine.

-Stone
    05-02-11 03:21 PM

Still taking a beating today in a mostly up market, especially premarket.

Isn't it odd that their so called "big news on Monday," was only a bold touch shown without even an estimated release date?

Stock has no positive catalyst and they even sold off after a disappointing BB World.

Wait until the market finally realizes how bad our debt and inflation truly are and quit covering it up.
    05-02-11 04:02 PM
    Just posting another article opinion..I'm staying neutral myself..

The fat lady has sung: The end of BlackBerry | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld
    05-03-11 10:01 AM
    Just posting another article opinion..I'm staying neutral myself..

The fat lady has sung: The end of BlackBerry | Mobile Technology - InfoWorld
    This article writer seems pretty misinformed, too.

"That hope is the Balance, the code name for the BlackBerry Bold 9900 device expected this summer that will run BlackBerry OS 6.1, an update to the major 6.0 release of last summer. Its browser is supposedly improved, and it supports near-field communication, such as for use in wireless payments. RIM is also touting its ability to support separate management of corporate and personal assets, but that was actually a capability introduced in BlackBerry OS 6 last summer."

The Balance device??? Is he talking about the Bold Touch or the Balance app??
    05-03-11 01:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD