I was playing with Google's search trends just a few minutes ago and noticed something kind of funny.
    This is the ranking of cities that have searched the word "droid" most often.

1. Waterloo, Canada
    2. Reston, VA, USA
    3. Phoenix, AZ, USA
    4. Richardson, TX, USA
    5. San Diego, CA, USA
    6. Denver, CO, USA
    7. Los Angeles, CA, USA
    8. Washington, DC, USA
    9. St Louis, MO, USA
    10. Philadelphia, PA, USA

Now the questions is, did Google plant this data or is RIM worried?
    I am a S1 user.

Here is the site link: h t t p://w w w .google.com/trends?q=droid (i can't post links)

(edit: fixed acronym for the confused)
    Last edited by totaldis; 12-31-09 at 07:42 AM. Reason: fix.
    12-30-09 05:16 PM
    Maybe there's just a big population of loser Star Wars fans in Waterloo
    12-30-09 05:25 PM
    Interesting results.. very ironic Waterloo is numero uno..
    12-30-09 05:53 PM
    Thank You, I'm still laughing!
    12-30-09 05:55 PM
    So if RIM isn't worried they should be...

I was able to spend some time with a version of droid coming to AT&T in a couple of months. This device is in field trial currently and is improved over the version currently out with Verizon.

My own opinion is that folks at Apple should be concerned, folks at RIM should be very worried because while RIM has a fairly loyal following in the business community that's not enough and they know it. This is why (IMO) they have been turning out devices geared more towards the consumer market. The trouble is that if Droid devices make some inroads against Apple RIM will find itself marginalized.

PG
    12-30-09 06:02 PM
    Why can't people just say RIM? We're not on the exchange board - jeez.

I don't see why they'd be worried. I'm not even a fan of touchscreens, I'm a fan of candybard style qwerty pdas such as almost all BlackBerry devices are, and non-touch WinMo, etc... Why? Because I need email, word/ office editing, and business functions. A lot of other people are like me in that regard.

Other than that - the Storm 2 is very solid, and I could pick it up and use it. There would be a learnig curve, but to be fair there is with everything.

So far everyone that uses it has given me a positive image of the device. That is if they like BlackBerry to begin with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-09 06:05 PM

I don't see why they'd be worried. I'm not even a fan of touchscreens, I'm a fan of candybard style qwerty pdas such as almost all BlackBerry devices are, and non-touch WinMo, etc... Why? Because I need email, word/ office editing, and business functions. A lot of other people are like me in that regard.

Other than that - the Storm 2 is very solid, and I could pick it up and use it. There would be a learnig curve, but to be fair there is with everything.

So far everyone that uses it has given me a positive image of the device. That is if they like BlackBerry to begin with.

Understood but I am speaking from a big picture perspective. I am a device tester and I test almost every device that AT&T releases, Blackberry's, WinMo, iPhones, etc. The business market likes the reliability of Blackberries, but more and more business types are trying devices like the iPhone. Yes some of them don't like it but many do....

I have been in this industry a long time and believe me when I say RIM has a reason to be concerned...

PG
    12-30-09 07:15 PM
    12-30-09 07:20 PM
    RIMM?
    Research in Mo Motion?
    12-30-09 07:35 PM
    Understood but I am speaking from a big picture perspective. I am a device tester and I test almost every device that AT&T releases, Blackberry's, WinMo, iPhones, etc. The business market likes the reliability of Blackberries, but more and more business types are trying devices like the iPhone. Yes some of them don't like it but many do....

I have been in this industry a long time and believe me when I say RIM has a reason to be concerned...

PG
    If this AT&T version is anything like the Cliq, RIM has a lot to worry about.
    12-30-09 07:49 PM
    It's supposed to make everyone think they follow the stock markets
    12-30-09 07:57 PM
    ROFL.

As to the OP RIMM uses Bing. ; )

12-30-09 08:00 PM

PG
    Your concerns about marginalization are misplaced IMO. What device sold the most units last quarter? The Curve. Which company *still* holds the worldwide #2 spot for smartphones? RIM(M). And that's in the face of four (4) "different" iPhone models, now selling in virtually every corner of the world. Where's RIM(M)'s greatest exposure? "Consumer" (read: BIS) market. So why have they still grown their share in that market? Someone's buying their devices.

And flying high above the consumer fray that will hit us face on in 2010, RIM(M) has the enterprise and government sectors locked down tight. As I've posted elsewhere, the day I see an FBI agent, Customs agent, ICE agent, field op for an undisclosed agency located on the outskirts of DC carrying an iPhone on his or her hip I'll contribute my entire portfolio (which, yes, includes a lot of RIMM) to the Glenn Beck Foundation. And I'm a liberal.

RIM(M) must stay on their game, eyes on the ball, focused on putting into production what they demoed and gave seminars on at DevCon. I personally believe they will, because, in large part, Jim Bastille knows his isht, and has a very strong team behind him.

And as a side note, if you search "blackberry outage" in /trends Waterloo is #1 as well. So they're keeping an eye on their own game, as well.
    Last edited by jlsparks; 12-30-09 at 08:05 PM.
    12-30-09 08:02 PM
    if you search motorola driod it comes back washington
    12-30-09 08:05 PM
    It's supposed to make everyone think they follow the stock markets
    I was eating a piece of mango as I read that and it made an unplanned exit
    through my nose after I was done reading that.
    12-30-09 08:05 PM
    if you search motorola driod it comes back washington
    What happens when you spell "droid" correctly?
    12-30-09 08:07 PM
    The next BlackBerry will be the iPhone/Droid killer. President Omaba has it.

12-30-09 10:37 PM
    I thought president omaba had the driod?

12-30-09 11:35 PM
    Wrong. Presidents carry BlackBerry's 10 years ahead of release dates.

12-31-09 12:10 AM
    I severely doubt RIM is worried about the Droid more than it is Android in general, we expect hardware improvements the big boost in software is because of the iPhone OSX and Android.

The Droid is pure garbage compared to the Nexus One (look on Engadget for the 10 minute overview of the UI). This is where Google is looking to take the Android platform. Google isnt putting its eggs in one basket, and neither is RIM.
    12-31-09 02:16 AM
    i came from the tour to the hero because as of right now RIM isnt going anywhere. OS 5.0 isnt anything special and the fact that blackberrys are so good at everything just turned me off. android is very mixed in its pro's and cons which honestly i like. while Google was adding widgets and sense UI and updating their OS to something much more efficient, RIM added sms threading. something my gf's LG rumor has.

Open GL for BB isnt going anywhere till at least Q2 while the 2 year old G1 and every other android device uses it.

I love BB+RIM. but until they revolutionize something i just cant go back.

btw the fact that it really is the most searched word in waterloo is crazy. im surprised cnet or someone else hasnt mentioned this yet.
    12-31-09 03:25 AM
    RIMM?
    Research in Mo Motion?
    lol

+10char
    12-31-09 04:00 PM
    The next BlackBerry will be the iPhone/Droid killer. President Omaba has it.

Who is President Omaba and why is he stealing President Obama's BlackBerry?!?!
    12-31-09 04:10 PM
    pretty funny google trend stat. waterloo is also first for searching "blackberry"

maybe they search one, then the search the other. lol
    12-31-09 04:19 PM
    You should define that statement to say, "...FBI agent, Customs agent, ICE agent, field op for an undisclosed agency located on the outskirts of DC carrying a 'Government issued' iPhone..."

Because, I happen to know a few Homeland guys and a gal who carry iPhones (usually in their pockets), but not government issued.
    I don't doubt that. What I said is they have a lock on government. Not on the private lives of government employees.
    12-31-09 04:33 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD