Presuming an electronic device can be "sexy" and suspending reality momentarily the BlackBerry Bold 9900 cannot rightfully be called sexy unless you have very low standards. On the other hand, the concept mock-up of the BlackBerry Blade smartphone could be called sexy. Back to the real world where electronic devices are just inanimate objects without feelings or self-awareness.
    How do I get to this world?
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-25-12 04:45 PM
    The LTE Playbook? The one that RIM didn't market, didn't make available through carriers and barely sold.
    No, I didn't forget it. RIM forgot about it.

Apple and "Android" don't survive on their monthly revenue model. Those dedicated 80mm BB customers pay a monthly fee. Apple thrives on their application model and huge payments from carriers. Androids thrive on their sheer volume.

THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE.
    I would agree that the Apps model is profitable but the carrier fees are under attack. The days of Apple controlling carrier fees are long gone.
    11-25-12 08:38 PM
    He figures that the new Blackberry will sell for an average of $375.00?
    ...He means what RIM will sell the devices to the carrier for, right?
    11-25-12 08:42 PM
    When it comes to business, my father said there were only two things of importance. Do you have good management and do you have a unique product or service. The rest are details. RIM has both. Nothing more needs to be said.
    11-25-12 08:48 PM
    the thing is BB10 phones are not going to be cheap. Off contract 500-700 and on contract 200-300 probably. The reason you get lots of BB sales now is the low end curves and what not in nations where they cant afford expensive devices. IMO this is why you will still have strong BB7 sales and why bb10 isnt going to sell more.
    Have you even remotely thought that BB10 is being marketed (atleast initially) to a different consumer segment. Hello, enterprise users. I mean really, think about you are saying, dude. You might also want consider that the vast majority of the world isn't consumed with North America's fascination with mindless Apps. They value reliability. Think about it...............carefully.
    11-25-12 09:11 PM
    If you have to ask what my point is you have no idea how profits work.
    I would bet I have a better idea than you, your lack of an answer proves my point!
    11-25-12 09:19 PM
    So right now, taking commissions into account, you are break-even.
    Guess that makes you a better investor than Prem Watsa. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

In any event, I hope you make money. I never want anyone to lose money in the market.

I'm not emotional, I think the discussion is hilarious!
    You kinda sound emotional, relax bro its just a phone. I would hate to see how you react to the big things in life. Look out!
    11-25-12 09:27 PM
    [/b] ;7747065]Have you even remotely thought that BB10 is being marketed (atleast initially) to a different consumer segment. Hello, enterprise users. I mean really, think about you are saying, dude. You might also want consider that the vast majority of the world isn't consumed with North America's fascination with mindless Apps. They value reliability. Think about it...............carefully.
    what you are saying would support my theory then. If they arent going to push the consumer segment at first they probably wont sell as many new devices.

And its not all about apps, i didnt mention it in my post at all. Its about cost. If RIM wants to make $375 on each BB10 device then its not going to cater to people in countries where the median income is a little above what US calls "poverty level".
    morales0416 likes this.
    11-25-12 09:35 PM
    I would bet I have a better idea than you, your lack of an answer proves my point!
    Neither of us knows how much the other person really knows.
    11-25-12 09:56 PM
    RIMM will sale many millions of bb7 in developing nations or in lower end markets until end of 2013 and will sell many millions of BB10 in developed counties so 35 mil is not over estimated. I know my work is wating for BB10 and just about to replace Trellia MDM solution with BES10 that will manage iCrape, BBs and Anroid.
    11-26-12 01:16 AM
    what you are saying would support my theory then. If they arent going to push the consumer segment at first they probably wont sell as many new devices.
    And its not all about apps, i didnt mention it in my post at all. Its about cost. If RIM wants to make $375 on each BB10 device then its not going to cater to people in countries where the median income is a little above what US calls "poverty level".
    I believe mid and low BB10 devices will address that. I even believe it will be the surprising segment ... Imagine a curve running BB10 ... what could compare to ? In that segment, BB10 should be a big hit. Now, about revenues, theses are usually sold with specific contracts notably including BBM, emails and some social apps (FB, TW ...). This is wide but core target with captive plans and generates revenues.
    Moreover, Heins stated the BB10 "production line" has been improved so that I believe many components will be shared across the range. The more you buy, the lowest the price ... and this will count for devices profitability.

Target is : hyper connected + massive use of social networks + need of organization tools (calendars like) + apps usage = far from average phone user = mobileized people
    11-26-12 02:08 AM
    Hopefully this so called "blackberry 10" platform sells well. The previews of the cellular telephone devices appear promising to me.
    11-26-12 04:10 AM
    You make money by selling new consumers devices, not selling new devices to old customer's.
    You make money by selling new devices to existing customers as long as the hardware margins are positive enough to cover the costs of getting the existing customer to upgrade. Based on the math in the original article, a BB10 sale to a existing customer would be worth around $375 * 30% = $112.50 in gross profit margin.

The only way you would not generate a profit by selling an existing customer a new device is if your incremental cost of getting that customer to upgrade from your current device is at least $112.50, which is extremely unlikely to be the case.

A new customer would likely provide more profits (the $112.50 + a new stream of service revenues for that customer), but the difference is harder to figure out since you are also likely spending substantially more in acquisition costs vs. an existing customer.
    11-26-12 04:33 AM
    They got to test their LTE stack in real devices in the market across carriers. Worth it to make sure the BB10 launch is rock solid. Reduces carrier certification time as well.
    Indeed, by this point that was probably the main benefit to the lte playbook and any sales are probably a bonus rather than a major expectation, it wouldn't surprise me if they also had a cdma/lte prototype hidden away too that was used for similar testing on Verizon's network.
    11-26-12 05:27 AM
    I think RIM will start pushing the PlayBooks again once BB10 is released to run on them.
    For now, they have the issue of a low app count. Once the new environment/ecosystem is out, it will be very competitive, especially at $150.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    11-26-12 08:01 AM
65 123