You might think it is "an amazing piece of tech for them", but if it does not make them money it will hurt them big time. I think RIM has been putting is R&D resources into the PB and ignored their bread and butter, the phones!
    While Rim will have been putting some of its R&D into the playbook it will have been mostly the guys at qnx and not detracting from their main development teams at this point, you also have the point that they are taking the longer term view that it will benefit them once qnx transitions to the phones and indeed if you look at the way things are setup with the playbook there does seem to have been a plan that would simplify that process, firstly they have the wifi-only version meaning they don't have to worry about radio performance quite so much, next they'll bring out the 3g/4g versions clearing out one of the other issues before it is ready for the phones and then finally you will have the qnx-based phones where the issues will be optimising things for a smaller screen and a smaller battery.

If people stopped for a second to think about what was taking place with the playbook, you have Rim entering a new and potentially highly profitable market while also helping the transition to their new smartphone platform without having to make the jump in a single step.
    05-02-11 11:03 AM
    TBH, after the Torch 9800 OS6 only scam, I'm (in my complete inexperience of stocks) expecting RIM shares to go down to $15 a share... They're ignoring the customers, and the customers are responding, by letting their money do the talking. It is making me want to drop RIM now, and simply get an Android then work out a dual-boot into BB OS for the BlackBerry Presenter.
    05-02-11 11:13 AM
    TBH, after the Torch 9800 OS6 only scam, I'm (in my complete inexperience of stocks) expecting RIM shares to go down to $15 a share... They're ignoring the customers, and the customers are responding, by letting their money do the talking.
    Given that most of the new features are hardware-related who cares if existing devices can't get software with a new version number, would it make you any happier if the next updates for os6 were instead labelled os7 even if they didn't include anything extra than you would get from them as an os6 update?

As far as the share price, that has very little to do with the actual customers given that sales of blackberries remain high and their entire customer base has not abandoned them as some doom mongers on here would try to have us believe.
    05-02-11 11:44 AM
    As you said, time will tell- this seems all-too-familiar to the release of the Torch, which didn't redeem them [RIM]. My point was more that there will be a surge in sales when the Bold Touch comes out, which should improve the stock value, if very briefly (briefly enough that he can sell his shares )

IMO, the Bold Touch will make or break RIM's reputation; I think they know they need to "make good" with this phone and the pressure is on; however, if it is received by the public the way the Torch was, they will suffer for it. (This is observation only; I'm one of the few[er] who still believe RIM is solid as a business phone, and personally, I do not even use its media capabilities.)
    I still like using my Torch better than my Thunderbolt, even though hardware spec wise it's lower in basically every regard...

Bold touch + new hardware specs is a win, the only hesitation is going from LTE to EVDO rev a... If it's LTE then there's no hesitation, but I seriously, seriously doubt it...
    05-02-11 01:38 PM
    TBH, after the Torch 9800 OS6 only scam, I'm (in my complete inexperience of stocks) expecting RIM shares to go down to $15 a share... They're ignoring the customers, and the customers are responding, by letting their money do the talking. It is making me want to drop RIM now, and simply get an Android then work out a dual-boot into BB OS for the BlackBerry Presenter.
    We've known these new phones have been coming for months, and you had to have known before you bought your Torch. Torch is noted for having minimal hardware improvements over the other GSM BB and no GPU. My 8830 didn't get OS5, my Tour didn't get OS6 (and it has a GPU), so why should your Torch get OS7. It is doubtful that any of these OS7 phones will get OS8 based on QNX. This is why I didn't bite on getting a 9650 because I knew it was going to suffer the same fate and it didn't offer much of an upgrade. You were a late adopter of a phone that was behind at it's release. I'm really hoping that RIM can make an OS8 for these new OS7 devices, but if I go based on history, then I know that expecting it not to be supported is a winning bet.
    05-02-11 02:27 PM
    We've known these new phones have been coming for months, and you had to have known before you bought your Torch. Torch is noted for having minimal hardware improvements over the other GSM BB and no GPU. My 8830 didn't get OS5, my Tour didn't get OS6 (and it has a GPU), so why should your Torch get OS7. It is doubtful that any of these OS7 phones will get OS8 based on QNX. This is why I didn't bite on getting a 9650 because I knew it was going to suffer the same fate and it didn't offer much of an upgrade. You were a late adopter of a phone that was behind at it's release. I'm really hoping that RIM can make an OS8 for these new OS7 devices, but if I go based on history, then I know that expecting it not to be supported is a winning bet.
    I came from a Curve 8520. That phone was driving me nuts. The 9650 got OS5 to OS6. Which continues my point further. As I said, give me my mobile WiFi Hotspot (even though chances are I'll never use it, but need it there for when it comes to it), and my HTML5 browser (although I can forgive RIM if this genuinely isn't possible) and I'll be happy. I have 2 years to wait despite not signing a contract with the phone... So yeah. What should I have done, stuck with the 8520 that was driving me to the point of slitting my throat? Jumped ship and lost compatability with all my BB stuff that would have driven my mum insane and resulted in me also slitting my throat? I was in check, and the only move out of check was the new phone. I tried a 9700, got a dodgy one, which lost my confidence in the Bold series, so got a Torch instead (no chance in heck was I touching the Storm series!)
    05-02-11 04:55 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD