I had enough faith in this company to invest in it over two years ago. My investment is DOWN about 80%. Out of 20+ stocks I currently own, this one has been the biggest disappointment by far. I have made money on EVERY other one, many of them tech. stocks. Missed targets, weaker forecasts, and bad press may be the final destruction for this company. We are over a year plus away from exciting new products (smartphones) with QNX, etc. And by THAT time, it will be the familiar story- too little too late, as the competition will have MORE exciting products, complete and ready to go to market BEFORE they are released, unlike the Playbook debacle. Stock down about ANOTHER +/-15% as of 10AM this morning. I have SOOOO far to climb now, truthfully, I am hoping for a takeover down the road that might put some vitality back in this company. Along, of course, with a change in management.
    I have been a RIM fanboy for several years, but frankly, I am very pessimistic about the future of this company.
    Sorry for the rant.
    04-29-11 08:51 AM
    When you bought in, how much was the stock?
    04-29-11 09:47 AM
    When you bought in, how much was the stock?
    Hi RollingRock,
    Check out this chart link (if it works properly) This is the 2- year view. I purchased it a few times between $65 and $85/ share when analysts loved the stock
    Research In Motion Limited Stock Chart | RIMM Interactive Chart - Yahoo! Finance
    04-29-11 09:53 AM
    Damn. I am sorry.

I'd see what happens Monday. If it goes up you may want to sell.

I'd also see if they discuss carriers and launch dates---- to me that's a good indicator of future performance.
    04-29-11 09:57 AM
    As an investor my self and a long time BB fan I also hate to see RIMM's stock do so bad. But you also have to remember the technology sector is the most volatile of them all. The release of new products don't always show the stock price any justice and of course you know that press and management change can make or break any stock. If your down that much just on RIMM (especially being down over 13% just today) I would pull out and possibly wait to see what the next earnings announcement brings which is "tentatively" June 16th. Just my 2 pennies.
    -NismoT-
    04-29-11 10:00 AM
    Ouch. It's going to take quite a turn around to get back to $85.

Tech is so fickle. That's why Buffet doesn't do tech. Bricks, trains, paint, razor blades and Coke. Stuff we need and things that aren't easily exported and things that don't change much over time. Predictable.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 10:04 AM
    I bought at $50 over five years ago and sold mine at $130 something, never made so much in a short time. I sold because I could see corp American falling and knew that RIM would be hurt badly.

It is back to LESS than $50 but I am not buying. Too much competition and the PlayBook is going to hurt them in the end.
    04-29-11 02:26 PM
    I bought at $50 over five years ago and sold mine at $130 something, never made so much in a short time. I sold because I could see corp American falling and knew that RIM would be hurt badly.

It is back to LESS than $50 but I am not buying. Too much competition and the PlayBook is going to hurt them in the end.
    I disagree with the "PlayBook is going to hurt them in the end". It is going to be an amazing piece of tech for them. Its already amazing people and it just came out. After it is out for a while its going to be even better. Then will come the second version. I think the second version will be an extraordinary tablet.

04-30-11 01:58 AM
    it's too early to say about PB. At least they are trying to catch up with the others. RIM should give more to its loyal users if they are serious about going back on track. BIS users should have more of BES features such as contact and calender sync.
    04-30-11 02:21 AM
    It was below $40 last year...
    04-30-11 02:43 AM
    I disagree with the "PlayBook is going to hurt them in the end". It is going to be an amazing piece of tech for them. Its already amazing people and it just came out. After it is out for a while its going to be even better. Then will come the second version. I think the second version will be an extraordinary tablet.

I hope you are right but only time will tell. RIM has the money to keep pushing the PB but we will see how successful they will have been by the end of the year. The PB could have been way more, lets see if they can take advantage of it.

I returned mine as it could not replace my iPad2 for an Internet appliance, not even if RIM keep working on it to improve and fix the flaws.
    04-30-11 06:02 AM
    Now is the time to buy, under $50 is a double-play IMO.
    04-30-11 07:39 AM
    No one seems mention what if rim does meet there year end estimate of 7.50 earnings then what they just lowered the quarter not the year total they had the chance and they didn't there are things we don't know about them and the carriers . The carriers are waiting for the new stuff and if they are going to release juneish then they already know what the orders will be and not to lower the years guidance and actual come higher then when the street thinks then the orders are big the only problem is they want ship this quarter it ends mid june I believe that's why the lower guidance I am guessing for a late june release for these products. A months rely made a big difference they were hopping for a mid may or release closer to there big event BBW.
    If they had they wouldn't lowered there guidance and they might of beat big to .
    04-30-11 08:12 AM
    Hang in there until the Bold Touch comes out If all the hype is true, it'll be RIM's saving grace...if not, well at least the stock will go up a little in value surrounding the release, since it seems like every member of Crackberry.com wants one, lol.
    04-30-11 08:41 AM
    I agree that this is a time to buy!! It was interesting how a leak of the Bold Touch came this week via their website!

04-30-11 11:07 AM

hey man, let just first start off by saying i'm rooting for the playbook, truly, but who exactly is it amazing? i have yet to read one good review of it, and they aren't really flying off the shelves. i'm pretty unbiased in these matters, i've owned nokia phones, palm, bb's android, iphones... but this 'just wait it's going to be awesome soon' talk is all to familiar. not just here, but it's identical to the talk on every nokia forum not so long ago. they constantly had a device on the horizon that was going to save them. this field doesn't have time for year long waits anymore. once the stock starts to slide fast like this what exactly is going to stop it?

i mean if it keeps dipping for a year you're going to be looking at a firesale, and at that point you won't be seeing new devices, you'll be talking about buyout options. it's not all doom and gloom yet, but when you consider the next year's outlook what is rim going to do to keep people from totally bailing on them? adding email support to the playbook isn't going to change the damage that not having it has already done. in the tech worlds eyes the playbook is already just another device that came out. it won't draw anyone that doesn't have a blackberry to it since it's operation is pretty dependent on having a blackberry.

it's a shame really, because the playbook is honestly pretty cool. even if qnx turns out to be really awesome there's already bad news due to the stocks, seems carriers are bailing on qnx support.
    Last edited by katiepea; 04-30-11 at 12:10 PM.
    04-30-11 12:03 PM
    Hang in there until the Bold Touch comes out If all the hype is true, it'll be RIM's saving grace...if not, well at least the stock will go up a little in value surrounding the release, since it seems like every member of Crackberry.com wants one, lol.
    seems interesting right? however i can't imagine using a small screen as a touchscreen. and given RIM's track record with touch devices, coupled on an already terrible pinch to zoom experience and slow os (seeing as how it won't be qnx) how well can this device really be received? let's be honest here, this phone will have a very recognizable OS, the same lack of development community, and all the usually 'this is going to save us hype' so if it is anything other than stellar it will be a let-down. so is it stellar? time will obviously tell but the question to be asked is, is it going to keep anyone from switching, and will it bring anyone from iOS or android to bb?

can we honestly answer that as yes?
    04-30-11 12:07 PM
    seems interesting right? however i can't imagine using a small screen as a touchscreen. and given RIM's track record with touch devices, coupled on an already terrible pinch to zoom experience and slow os (seeing as how it won't be qnx) how well can this device really be received? let's be honest here, this phone will have a very recognizable OS, the same lack of development community, and all the usually 'this is going to save us hype' so if it is anything other than stellar it will be a let-down. so is it stellar? time will obviously tell but the question to be asked is, is it going to keep anyone from switching, and will it bring anyone from iOS or android to bb?

can we honestly answer that as yes?
    As you said, time will tell- this seems all-too-familiar to the release of the Torch, which didn't redeem them [RIM]. My point was more that there will be a surge in sales when the Bold Touch comes out, which should improve the stock value, if very briefly (briefly enough that he can sell his shares )

IMO, the Bold Touch will make or break RIM's reputation; I think they know they need to "make good" with this phone and the pressure is on; however, if it is received by the public the way the Torch was, they will suffer for it. (This is observation only; I'm one of the few[er] who still believe RIM is solid as a business phone, and personally, I do not even use its media capabilities.)
    04-30-11 01:27 PM
    While the screen might be small, there will be plenty of times when it improves your interaction with the phone, but for other times you obviously still have the options of the trackpad or the great qwerty keyboard. As far as the os being slow, that should be addressed by the increase in memory and the drastically increased processor speed.

With regards to 'this is going to save us' hype, they do not actually need saving if you look at their financials and certainly wouldn't expect a single model to do so since their approach for many years has been to offer a range of devices. The main things that the bold touch and the other new models have to do are to ensure that the mainstream high end part of the market does not have to leave rim due to poor specs and others who had left for that reason would not be taking a step back if they returned.

Now obviously with these phones they are still going to lose out on the niche that chases the very highest specs, but the odds are they lost those a while ago and as much as the gadget blogs would like to have you think otherwise that is not the most desirable part of the market compared with the mainstream of the highend where margins are still high and volumes are quite a bit higher.
    05-01-11 06:05 AM
    While Bold Touch might be a great phone for the current BB fan I do not think
    it will be RIMs "saving grace".

The PB along with the QNX touch phones could bring them back to
    even, but with no forward camera, no innovative concepts seen
    they will do good just to keep up.

They need a ground breaker to get ahead.
    Do they have one that will drive non-BB users into the stores and drop their Droids and IPhones in the trash?

That's the question. I dont see the answer yet....keyword, yet.

Tim
    05-01-11 07:02 AM
    This is the time to buy, in my estimation. But this is me, and I don't advise anyone.
    Looking at the chart which supposedly depicts the death, demise, destruction, obliteration of RIM, here is what I see - along with all those dips there are also recoveries. Blips. This, coupled with the billions that RIM nets, gives me high confidence that this is a downward turn that will turn into a recovery as it has since 2006.
    The other thing I note is that investing in the stock market is not for the faint hearted. You don't put an enormous of money or buy a large number of shares on a commodity that is as volatile as the technology sector.
    I also note that investing in a volatile market is for the long term, and one should be prepared to put expendable cash on volatile markets, cash that one is prepared to lose. Then you ride it out. If you see net profits dropping then you cut your losses. If you continue to see expansion in the net profits then you don't sell.
    To sell at a downward turn is cutting off your nose to spite your face. You buy low and you sell high. At this point, given RIM's history of dips and recoveries, if I have stock, I ride it out. Because over previous years I have recovered enough of my expendable cash to ride out the dips and recoveries.
    The only investor who would be peeved would be the ones that bought in July '08. But then again, you don't buy high, so if you did, you made a mistake. And that's not RIM's problem, that is simply not understanding the market.
    As for analysts - they're simply opinions. Like anyone else. Those who make it big in the market have the brass b@lls to ride out the corrections. And they use expendable cash to buy into tech.
    Just my opinion, as any of those analysts'.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-01-11 at 09:08 AM.
    05-01-11 08:40 AM
    Is it time to buy or is it going lower?
    05-01-11 08:50 AM
    Nobody of any integrity would answer that.
    05-01-11 08:52 AM
    4 long-time bullish analysts downgraded RIM significantly on Friday. Here's why I feel they overreacted and panicked: Investing Blog: Analysts overreact to RIM guidance adjustment
    05-01-11 01:13 PM

You might think it is "an amazing piece of tech for them", but if it does not make them money it will hurt them big time. I think RIM has been putting is R&D resources into the PB and ignored their bread and butter, the phones!

Even after all of us waited for months and months, the PB arrived "half baked". Only a few more months will tell, I suspect it will only be weeks to to see how sales are really going. Many of the retailers are not putting in orders in the quantity that RIM would like to see, so . . . . . . .

I would not buy just yet, it can and will go lower. Wait till after the "show".
    05-01-11 05:30 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD