Looks like the stock got a bit of a "pick me up" today with the announcement of the new devices. Lets see if it keeps it up tomorrow of it loses everything it gained today.
    08-03-11 01:38 PM
    The initial decline in share value was a result of poor smartphone sales from RIM. I think we're going to see a steady incline in response to more of a focus on their smartphones. It really depends on how well they are perceived. I'm glad RIM held out a little longer to polish these new handsets so they can get better recognition. They look amazing. I hope the general public sees that and we see record sales. That will really get RIM back on track and lead in to their QNX era nicely.
    01itr likes this.
    08-03-11 02:03 PM
    I agree, I think we will start to see the stock stabilizing and maybe crawling upwards at a steady pace, maybe some sharp upticks on the release dates of the new phones and the (potential) announcements of Playbook updates (native email and such). Lets go RIM!
    08-03-11 03:03 PM
    The initial decline in share value was a result of poor smartphone sales from RIM. I think we're going to see a steady incline in response to more of a focus on their smartphones. It really depends on how well they are perceived. I'm glad RIM held out a little longer to polish these new handsets so they can get better recognition. They look amazing. I hope the general public sees that and we see record sales. That will really get RIM back on track and lead in to their QNX era nicely.
    Assuming none of the products get out ther ewith massive defects or bugs. Lets hope the delays was for polishing purposes.
    08-03-11 03:29 PM
    Very true, I posted this on another thread that's been locked:

Bought 150 shares @ 34.89 today. Feeling good
    euro2low, RIMM closed at 28.40 today. After eight days you've lost $973.50, or almost 20% of your investment. Still feeling good?
    So, RIMM closed at 24.15 today. euro2low spent $5233.50 (not including trading fees) and his RIMM holdings are now worth $3622.50 for a loss of $1611.00. In a month and a half he's lost almost 31% of his initial investment; if you include transaction fees he's lost probably almost a third of it.

Wonder if he's still feeling good?

And for those people saying "Well it's gonna go to $85 some day he just has to hold," I say the following:

If it gets to $85, euro2low will gross $12,750 on his 150 shares. If he'd waited a mere 6 weeks, he could have bought 216 shares for his same initial outlay. If RIMM gets to $85 those 216 shares will be worth $18,360, meaning that he would have grossed an additional ~$5500 by simply waiting less than two months.
    And of course the point is that people who disregarded my advice and bought when I suggested they dont... are losing money. And those who continue to buy RIMM stock will continue to lose money.
    08-03-11 05:46 PM
    @Furballz

Everybody that has bought and sold stock says the same 3 things...
    Would of
    Could of
    Should of!

Hind sight is 20/20
    Some people believe in averaging down too. Not my money tho
    08-03-11 06:40 PM
    And of course the point is that people who disregarded my advice and bought when I suggested they dont... are losing money. And those who continue to buy RIMM stock will continue to lose money.
    Maybe you should call up and advise Donald Yacktman, mutual-fund manager of the Number 1 US Mutual Fund, who just purchased 1.5 million shares. Who are you again?
    08-04-11 07:52 AM
    1) You realize that 1.5 million shares at RIM's current trading price is a drop in the bucket for his fund, right?
    I don't think he gets to the position he is in now by throwing money at stocks, even small amounts.

2) You toss around phrases like the bolded, for which you have no idea if it is true and/or what it actually means, when there is a perceived positive for RIM, yet to discredit any such phrases when they are not in favor of RIM.
    Just what I got from this Top-rated U.S. mutual fund snaps up RIM shares

If you don't agree, you can always give counter-arguments, instead of fallacious rebuttals. Fallacy: Ad Hominem
    08-04-11 09:05 AM
    Looks like the stock got a bit of a "pick me up" today with the announcement of the new devices. Lets see if it keeps it up tomorrow of it loses everything it gained today.

up 5% yesterday, down almost 5% today. It's like riding a rollercoaster after having a bottle of jack for breakfast
    08-04-11 10:26 AM
    up 5% yesterday, down almost 5% today. It's like riding a rollercoaster after having a bottle of jack for breakfast
    Ugh yeah it does look pretty bad, but then I looked at the Related Companies on Google Finance. Looks like everyone is down today. GOOG and APPL are both down >2% as of right now.

Research In Motion Limited (USA): NASDAQ:RIMM quotes & news - Google Finance
    08-04-11 10:33 AM
    I would be trading it on options. Spread collar with bearish outlook imo.
    08-04-11 10:37 AM
    Ugh yeah it does look pretty bad, but then I looked at the Related Companies on Google Finance. Looks like everyone is down today. GOOG and APPL are both down >2% as of right now.

Research In Motion Limited (USA): NASDAQ:RIMM quotes & news - Google Finance
    Speaking of which, did anyone else notice how AAPL, GOOG and RIM graphs were almost identical in ups and downs yesterday?
    Last edited by TheMimic; 08-04-11 at 11:01 AM.
    08-04-11 10:42 AM
    Speaking of which, did anyone else notice how APPL, GOOG and RIM graphs were almost identical in ups and downs yesterday?
    Didn't even think of looking at that. Btw, don't look at RIMM now...
    08-04-11 10:54 AM
    Didn't even think of looking at that. Btw, don't look at RIMM now...
    Lost everything it gained yesterday and then some.
    08-04-11 11:02 AM
    I don't think he gets to the position he is in now by throwing money at stocks, even small amounts.

Just what I got from this Top-rated U.S. mutual fund snaps up RIM shares

If you don't agree, you can always give counter-arguments, instead of fallacious rebuttals. Fallacy: Ad Hominem

The Yachtman fund or however it's spelled has one, and only one, strategy: many diverse high-risk investments (even its bond holdings are somewhat risky.) This can work, and has for this fund, because if you hold enough high-risk stuff then the 9 that fail when you bought them low will be offset by the 1 that shoots up (or back up) through the roof.

However, if the fund gets unlucky and chooses a bunch of stocks that die, it will lose a huge amount of money very, very quickly.

I'm not saying that the strategy doesn't work, but I'm saying it's somewhat risky AND that they have a rather diverse portfolio. Shmucks here aren't going to be investing in 50 different risky stocks, they might be investing in a couple. If so, RIMM shouldn't be one of them.
    Last edited by Furballz; 08-04-11 at 05:48 PM.
    Shlooky and 01itr like this.
    08-04-11 05:45 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD