Hi

for majority of you guys, you might not realize a major issue that RIMM has since you live in United States & Canada.

I live in United Arab Emirates, and a major user of BB since 2005.

I just tried to register for the Beta Zone, and guess what? I can't since I don't live in "United States" or "Canada".

I seriously don't know how these executives think they can grow when they limit themselves to those two countries.

An additional thing is of course the BlackBerry App World, again it doesn't work in our region.

It has been over a year now that we hear it will come, and it never did.

Now, RIMM is releasing PlayBook which again will highly depend on App world.

For us, this PlayBook will be useless.

I'm a big BB fan, but I don't believe any longer, and I can make the switch to Android or iOS anytime soon, because of these ignorant mistakes by RIMM.

I wish I have the CEO's email of RIMM so I can shoot an email and tell him to open up if you want to stay in the battle of mobile devices!

I'm really pissed at these limitations we have.
    04-09-11 09:33 PM
    I am in the Beta Zone and do not live in the US or Canada. Why are they hurting themselves by restricting Beta zone members?
    04-09-11 09:37 PM
    And for this RIM will die a slow, painful and agonizing death. Come on. All of these things have to be negotiated with every foreign government they work with. Sometimes they just can't come to an agreement. I am sorry for users in places that don't have access to all services, but it happens with all manufacturers of all kinds of goods that are distributed globally.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    flipkc likes this.
    04-09-11 09:45 PM
    You assume that RIM doesn't want to do business in your country but that would be idiotic. Obviously, they would love to expand their reach but the governments get in the way of these things, unfortunately. I'm not saying that UAE isn't allowing App World but maybe they're making RIM pay a fee to operate there and it would cut too much into their profit or don't see a high enough gain from there. Look at how much they've had to deal with in India.

I'm sorry that you're being limited in your products but we also need to be reasonable of how much pull some multinational corporations have. Sometimes they need to conform to the demands of the places they operate in and their policies need to vary from place to place. It happens all the time.
    04-09-11 09:59 PM
    I live in Malaysia and god I hate it when I couldn't use good apps which are just meant for the States and Canada. Well, I couldn't blame them but again, I really hope RIM find a workaround to get this done. I am too actually thinking and deciding heavily to move on to Android in the coming months but seriously, Asia is a huge market. If RIM doesn't use this advantage fully, they are going to lose out real soon.

04-09-11 10:40 PM
    Its not RIM but ur country telecom's law which blocks that. I am in india & have access to beta zone app world .. everything that RIM has to offer.
    Even if i did not , the bb is the best office phone & thats the reason i bought it.
    04-09-11 10:55 PM
    Can't you get a lot of the AppWold apps here on Crackberry or through Mobihand's store?
    04-10-11 01:12 AM
    It's Etisalat and Du that are restricting access to App World in UAE. i'm sure App World is coming to the UAE. The testing phase was a really good sign that our carriers are finally coming around.
    04-10-11 01:17 AM

I'm a big BB fan, but I don't believe any longer, and I can make the switch to Android or iOS anytime soon, because of these ignorant mistakes by RIMM.

I wish I have the CEO's email of RIMM so I can shoot an email and tell him to open up if you want to stay in the battle of mobile devices!

Blame your carriers, that is where the issues are. You really think RIM doesn't want your money? You should also note the Android Market - Paid App Availability.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    04-10-11 01:35 AM

I seriously don't know how these executives think they can grow when they limit themselves to those two countries.

ok so appworld is available in 101 countries. like others have said it your carriers.

i have their emails na seriously though, google is full of stuff if you go looking for it, im just worried that when google turns 13 years old later this year it`ll make like a teenager and not answer anything!!
    04-10-11 01:42 AM
    Well, RIM has to make additional efforts. Don't get me started on our carrier (Etisalat specially since I dont use DU).

Thanks though for your comments and feedback.

I thought it's RIM who has full control of this issue.
    04-10-11 03:18 AM
    Google is your friend You can easily find OTA links to most apps.
    04-10-11 03:19 AM
    got a question, can i make my BB work via VPN?

I have a private VPN which is based in the US.

If i can fool the BB to act as if im in the states, then i'm good to go.

let me know
    04-10-11 03:21 AM
    Google is your friend You can easily find OTA links to most apps.
    Well, google is always my friend, and sure I can find any OTA. But it would feel good when you can centrally get anything you want, doesn't it?
    04-10-11 03:22 AM
    Well, RIM has to make additional efforts. Don't get me started on our carrier (Etisalat specially since I dont use DU).

Thanks though for your comments and feedback.

I thought it's RIM who has full control of this issue.
    I'm with Du's unlimited data plan on my Blackberry and no problems so far. I heard that Etisalat doesn't allow YouTube access via 3G, is that true? Our carriers are so limiting IMO, and Etisalat is so expensive! Their "offers" always seem to have a catch. I've been trapped a couple of times
    04-10-11 03:30 AM
    I'm with Du's unlimited data plan on my Blackberry and no problems so far. I heard that Etisalat doesn't allow YouTube access via 3G, is that true? Our carriers are so limiting IMO, and Etisalat is so expensive! Their "offers" always seem to have a catch. I've been trapped a couple of times
    Etisalat is the worst ISP ever. I totally agree with you on their offers, there is always a catch.

yah, you pay for youtube over 3G.
    04-10-11 03:33 AM
    Don't know about VPN but no doubt someone here does.
    04-10-11 03:35 AM
    ok, will keep asking till i get it

mashkoorah
    04-10-11 03:43 AM
    Only US/Canada for the BB Beta Zone? I'm with O2-UK, as a Brit, living in Britain. Also, I registered as a Brit, and got into the BETA Zone. I'm using their Facebook 2.0 BETA as well. Very swish! I can guarantee you will like it. When it comes out, I'll see if I can create a zip file for it, or find an OTA link.
    04-10-11 04:04 AM
    Hi

for majority of you guys, you might not realize a major issue that RIMM has since you live in United States & Canada.

I live in United Arab Emirates, and a major user of BB since 2005.

I just tried to register for the Beta Zone, and guess what? I can't since I don't live in "United States" or "Canada".

An additional thing is of course the BlackBerry App World, again it doesn't work in our region.

It has been over a year now that we hear it will come, and it never did.

Now, RIMM is releasing PlayBook which again will highly depend on App world.

For us, this PlayBook will be useless.

LOL!!!! Well you could always go back to the 3 watt analog phones or a motorola star-tac... those are FLY and all the way live!
    04-15-11 11:07 AM
    Someone doesn't know about all the paperwork you have to go through to sell things in foreign countries...
    04-15-11 04:48 PM
    It's not RIM's fault. It's all in the hands of your fearless leaders!

04-15-11 05:14 PM
    It's not RIM's fault. It's all in the hands of your fearless leaders!

There ya go!

RIM just follows the rules in each country they operate.

One of the benefits of freedom!
    04-15-11 06:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD