You would think by now that both Mike and Jim would be banned from any public speaking/appearance by the larger shareholders.

The best of CEO's know to keep their mouths shut and not make appearances after a couple failed/embarrassing encounters. Even the dumbest world leaders (well, most of them) are smart enough to recognize when their largest weakness is in PR, and allow somebody else more eloquent and articulate to sit in for them.
    04-13-11 05:28 PM
    brb, currently throwing my BB in the trash
    also, could somebody inform my as to why exactly that was an unfair question?
    Last edited by jlspeed29; 04-13-11 at 05:57 PM.
    04-13-11 05:44 PM
    I have no problem with that interview. I thought he handled it fine. I guess I'm not so sensitive.
    04-13-11 06:05 PM
    I think Mike could have done worse. Some interviewers really need to layoff and stop being such pricks. It's ok to want to know about something but there's a way to go about it and this BBC guy clearly doesn't know it.
    04-13-11 06:42 PM
    Wow. Can't wait to watch this.

And you can flip the "no comment" right back on the media and make them look dumb for asking those questions.

He should have asked the interviewer to explain what security issues he is referring to.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Embedded video plays great on my DX.

I think the co-ceos have an ego issue and want to BE the company that they founded. Unfortunately , it's hurting them.

04-13-11 07:57 PM
    I believe this is one of those cases where if you read the transcript you feel the response was appropriate, but the delivery left much to be desired

He needs to prep better. Or get a spokesperson.
    04-13-11 08:30 PM
    spokeswoman....they always are better imo lol
    04-13-11 08:32 PM
    I say Dan dodge from QNX should handle all pr engagements from now on. That hit was charged up at Dev con.

And @hootyhoo that just aint fair. You rocking the gb leak? Reading about that has been a lot more intresting than BB lately.

04-13-11 08:39 PM
    [Homersimpsonvoice]
    hmmm....spokeswomen...
    [/homersimpsonvoice]

04-13-11 08:41 PM
    Anti RIM people who probably don't even own blackberry and are totally hypnotized by the fake glimmer shimmers of apple and android, rejoice.

RIM lovers, heads up and shrug dem haters. Haters gon hate right
    04-13-11 09:32 PM
    I could see Mike sweating on that question.

It's VERY interested that he's avoiding the question 'Can you safely say that user's in India will still be able to use the BlackBerry's?'

The way I'm viewing this:

1. India and the middle east already is already logging all calls/texts/data from the users and it's a confidentially agreement that is making Mike avoid the question. Yes, RIM came to an agreement, but at what costs? Are BlackBerry users in that location being monitored although claiming that they are extremely secure?

2. Plans with India are falling through and an agreement is not happening and India will force RIM to shut down not allowing BlackBerry services to continue.

With India having a population over 1 billion people, I'm sure this agreement is the biggest and most nerve-racking decision RIM's ever had to made. Losing all those people, can seriously cripple the company overseas.
    04-13-11 10:25 PM
    Just so guys know....India is one of the biggest growing markets for RIM...not only due to the corporate world out here but also due to the growing population of youngsters having BB's, I mean even 10 yr olds have one now, its pretty common.

I got my first BB when this whole debate popped up, and truth be told RIM is not gonna shut its services here. They know the potential in India and I am sure they came to some agreement with the government probably a few months back. This problem probably arose due to the terrorist attacks and fear of terrorists being able to use encrypted smartphones, which is also the reason why most copy cat China made phones were banned as well due to their IMEI numbers not being able to be traced. Even after doing so, a lot of the public has access to these China made phones so IMO it hasnt changed anything, hence I dont see it getting banned here.
    04-14-11 01:39 AM
    You're right! All we have to do is wear a shirt that's strategically unbuttoned, a higher hemline, stilettos, bat our eyelashes a bit, and you guuys loset your train of thought!!!

04-14-11 03:50 AM
    I think the problem isn't so much in the question, but either A.) Snooping is possible, and RIM doesn't want to say it's already sold out it's users in attempts to still look secure, or B.) They are afraid other nations may jump on the anti-Rim bandwagon and start banning services.

Either way Mike could have simply stated no comment and or RIM doesn't comment on rumors and speculation.

I'd like to know what the full interview was about.
    04-14-11 05:41 AM
    You're right! All we have to do is wear a shirt that's strategically unbuttoned, a higher hemline, stilettos, bat our eyelashes a bit, and you guuys loset your train of thought!!!

I'm sorry, what were we just talking about??
    BBMINI and CanuckBB like this.
    04-14-11 05:42 AM
    Maybe it's just me but I prefer a human being with emotions instead of a robotic CEO that says no comment and dishes out crap. Honesty goes a long way. If anything he came across natural and I appreciate that.

And nobody can deny Rim has been picked on in the media in the last 1-2 years. They have been singled out and media seems to take some sick pleasure out of trashing RIM

Maybe BBC forgets who has handled they're communications for years now and kept them secure.

Very very unprofessional that reporter, if he would've talked like that to Jobs he would've been out of a job by now.

04-14-11 05:54 AM
    There was nothing unprofessional about the interview, but the response was unprofessional.

When you're legally unable to answer the question, the honest thing to do is say "I can't comment on that, sorry."

The CEO got pissed because he could not guarantee anything and he thought it would make the company look bad. He should not have wigged out, he should have just said I cannot comment on that and bitched off camera.

He seriously looked like a crybaby.
    04-14-11 06:58 AM
    There was nothing unprofessional about the interview, but the response was unprofessional.

When you're legally unable to answer the question, the honest thing to do is say "I can't comment on that, sorry."

The CEO got pissed because he could not guarantee anything and he thought it would make the company look bad. He should not have wigged out, he should have just said I cannot comment on that and bitched off camera.

He seriously looked like a crybaby.
    But the question wasn't about national security issues, it was about blackberry security issues, if you say you can't comment on that you admit to it, the question was all wrong. The question implied that Rim has security problems where the problem is that they're too secure for some countries.

There was no graceful escape from that situation.

04-14-11 07:02 AM
    Have you sent in your Resume, yet? :P
    I am in no way a PR person!

I'd love to do it, but I am too quick to quip back at people with things that shouldn't be the face of a company!
    04-14-11 07:05 AM
    There was no graceful escape from that situation.

"RIM does not have any security problems, period. I cannot comment any further on this topic".

He confirms his company has no security problems that way, and comment no further and keeps the middle east and India out of the subject completely. That would have been much better than saying "this isn't fair". If I was him, I would have been pissed too, but I would not let me emotions get the best of me.
    04-14-11 07:08 AM
    I think that presenter interviewed too many politicians.

04-14-11 07:08 AM
    Buy the way, the uk taxpayer pays for that bbc reporter, where do I complain? We have to pay tv license every year for BBC, I don't agree with his conduct and there must be a way of complaining about it.

04-14-11 07:10 AM
    @dR -yah but if that avatar is an indication of what you look like you'd have half the audience at your command.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 04-14-11 at 07:19 AM.
    04-14-11 07:16 AM
    "RIM does not have any security problems, period. I cannot comment any further on this topic".

He confirms his company has no security problems that way, and comment no further and keeps the middle east and India out of the subject completely. That would have been much better than saying "this isn't fair". If I was him, I would have been pissed too, but I would not let me emotions get the best of me.

IF I was in the Interview I would have handled it similar.

When the interview asked "lets move on to the problems you've had with security and the various governments in the middle east, is that anywhere near to being sorted out"

Mike said, That isn't a Fair question. but didn't battle that comment quickly enough.

my Response would have been.

Hold on, RIM does not have any Security problems, that question isn't fair, if you are asking about the Middle east, that is a governance and national security issue, so I can not comment on that. Your question implies it is a RIM security problem, it is not.

When the Interviewer continues to Press Middle east/India issues, then I'd say
    "clearly you don't respect India's National security, so either we move on to other topics or End this interview, I respect the rights of each nation that RIM deals with"

so then he can play with his playbook on TV!! and that is all we want to see!
    04-14-11 07:21 AM
    IF I was in the Interview I would have handled it similar.

When the interview asked "lets move on to the problems you've had with security and the various governments in the middle east, is that anywhere near to being sorted out"

Mike said, That isn't a Fair question. but didn't battle that comment quickly enough.

my Response would have been.

Hold on, RIM does not have any Security problems, that question isn't fair, if you are asking about the Middle east, that is a governance and national security issue, so I can not comment on that. Your question implies it is a RIM security problem, it is not.

When the Interviewer continues to Press Middle east/India issues, then I'd say
    "clearly you don't respect India's National security, so either we move on to other topics or End this interview, I respect the rights of each nation that RIM deals with"

so then he can play with his playbook on TV!! and that is all we want to see!
    See, that would have been much better. RIM stays in the clear and doesn't disrespect the Middle East or India.
    04-14-11 07:24 AM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD