sorry if posted already. rim getting hit hard on the market today. already down 8.25%.

from bloomberg:
    April 3 (Bloomberg) -- BlackBerry maker Research In Motion Ltd. was accused of infringing six patents owned by NXP Semiconductor NV for technology including ways to expand the range of data transmission.

NXP, Europe’s third-largest chipmaker, filed the complaint yesterday in U.S. federal court in Orlando, Florida. The Dutch chipmaker, based in Eindhoven, Netherlands, seeks cash compensation and a court order to block further use of its inventions.

RIM products including the BlackBerry Torch, Playbook, Curve and Bold are using the patented inventions without permission, NXP contends. The other patents cover computer bus systems, mobile phones with GPS receivers, circuit manufacturing, the polishing of the surface of wafers, and patterning of layers on the wafer.

Marisa Conway, a spokeswoman for Waterloo, Ontario-based RIM, said the company doesn’t comment on pending litigation.

RIM fell $1.16, or 8.1 percent, to $13.21 as of 12:31 p.m. in New York trading, the biggest decline in more than two months, as investors speculated that potential acquirers are losing interest.

The case is NXP BV v. Research in Motion Ltd., 12cv498, U.S. District Court for the District in Orlando (Florida).

To contact the reporter on this story: Susan Decker in Washington at
    [email protected]
    To contact the editor responsible for this story: Bernard Kohn at
    [email protected]
    ===
    Sent from Bloomberg for Blackberry. Download it from the Blackberry App World!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 12:44 PM
    I guess the day fall is more about some speculators taking their benefits ...
    I don't think this law suit is a valuable explanation of today's ... bad day.
    CDM76 likes this.
    04-03-12 12:50 PM
    *waiting for the conspiracy theorists to declare yet again that the world is against rim*
    04-03-12 01:30 PM
    I doubt the lawsuit is causing the drop in stock price. They have been sued many times before. It is common in the tech business.

The stock drop, as stated in the article, is more related to the drop in excitement that there might have been an impending sale of the company on the horizon.
    scorpiodsu and Laura Knotek like this.
    04-03-12 01:30 PM
    A Dutch chip maker files suit in the US District Court in Orlando against a Canadian company. That is certainly the long way around the loop to get to patent litigation.
    04-03-12 01:48 PM
    *waiting for the conspiracy theorists to declare yet again that the world is against rim*
    Yeah, the line will be something like: Apple is paying them.
    04-03-12 05:50 PM
    Ha!

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    04-03-12 05:59 PM
    A Dutch chip maker files suit in the US District Court in Orlando against a Canadian company. That is certainly the long way around the loop to get to patent litigation.
    If the patents in dispute are US patents (and they probably are), then filing in a US district would be more of a straight avenue and not a long way around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    04-03-12 06:07 PM
    Google and Apple were being sued for something else last week and their stock prices went up.
    04-03-12 06:48 PM
    If the patents in dispute are US patents (and they probably are), then filing in a US district would be more of a straight avenue and not a long way around.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    1) It is called sarcasm.
    2) Last I checked, the US Courts still get very annoyed when lawyers attempt to drag them into patent disputes between international companies when the plaintiff wants a decision that extends beyond US jurisdiction, and typically only enforce rulings within the territorial boundaries of the United States.
    3) In this case, the Dutch company is clearly looking for a quick score since they do not appear to have followed the normal path to even get to the district court, which usually involves complaint and appellate processes through the Patent Office, appeals board, etc.. They also apparently are claiming triple monetary damages without further specification in their complaint.
    4) I expect this is yet another version of patent trolling, in this case by a struggling spinoff of Phillips. After RIM's 2001 - 2005 patent mess, I seriously doubt that they missed multiple patents for technology in the 2011 Playbook....
    04-03-12 07:06 PM
    1) After RIM's 2001 - 2005 patent mess, I seriously doubt that they missed multiple patents for technology in the 2011 Playbook....
    Well... they missed the trademarks of bbm and bbx. That was pretty recent I believe.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    04-03-12 09:01 PM
    Patent trolling at its finest...
    04-03-12 09:21 PM
    If the shoe fits...
    But in this case, the article refers to patent trolling, rather than forum trolling by...
    04-04-12 12:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD