Rim would not be in so much trouble today if they had...

1. Updated the Bold 9000 a long time ago. This was the best phone RIM ever produced with a huge fan base in the corporate and personal markets. Yet, it has taken years to relaunch it – and only after thousands of people requested them to do so, in online forums like this and consumer petitions.

2. Kept their phones a decent size. By the time the 9700 series arrived the keyboards and screens were so small that they were unusable for many people. The last ‘full sized’ Blackberry was the Bold 9000. Whoever pushed RIM’s design studio to make their phones so small should be fired.

3. Reduced the number of Blackberry models down to two – yes two. A corporate model (ie Bold 9000/9900 form factor) and a personal model with more emphasis on multi media. This means RIM could concentrate their efforts on making these two models as great as possible instead of fragmenting their efforts. If Apple can dominate the market with a single model iPhone (with different capacities) then so can Blackberry.
    K Bear likes this.
    06-20-11 12:19 AM
    That's a nice wish list for maybe a handful of people. There are all kinds of strategies and approaches that RIM could have followed to avoid the situation they are in, but I don't think they're any of these listed here. Whatever they could have done, they did not because of a single monumental miscalculation starting over four years ago and meandering through their decision-making for at least two more years: the failure to recognize how popular the iPhone would be and how it would revolutionize the entire smart phone market. They did eventually see the error of their ways, but you can't just blink competitive phones into existence when you're starting at least two years too late.

Die-hard BB users for the most part aren't leaving the brand because the Bold hasn't been updated; they're sticking with their BlackBerry's because, underpowered or not, they still work better for them than the alternatives. It's on-the-fence users who could take or leave the trademark keyboard and are tired of waiting for a quality touch-screen experience on the BlackBerry platform, and it's new smart-phone users who see these slick new touch-screens everywhere else who probably would not have chosen a candy-bar form factor anyway no matter what kind of horsepower it were packing.

As for the size of the phones, that resulted from people complaining that the 9000 was too big. And reducing the number of models to two is just ludicrous. RIM is not Apple. Name one other major phone maker that only offers two models; it is simply not a viable strategy for the customer base that RIM primarily markets to. Whatever RIM does to attract new customers, it would be certain death if it came at the expense of their current bread-and-butter, which is exactly what would happen if they offered only two models.
    06-20-11 12:49 AM
    BlackBerry definitely should have listened to the people and brought updated models when the demand was the highest. The competition eventually crept up on the multimedia, interface, features and other device related fronts. The BlackBerry OS also needs a makeover, and not just a cosmetic makeover but it requires a redesign. Full faith in RIM's abilities to deliver such an interface with the os7. Yes, I would have been more inclined to blackberries if they had those bigger screens and keyboards. Issues with the Blackberry os?? well when you handle something that secure and complicated issues happen ... and we are always here to help..
    06-20-11 05:12 AM

1. Updated the Bold 9000 a long time ago. This was the best phone RIM ever produced with a huge fan base in the corporate and personal markets. Yet, it has taken years to relaunch it – and only after thousands of people requested them to do so, in online forums like this and consumer petitions.

2. Kept their phones a decent size. By the time the 9700 series arrived the keyboards and screens were so small that they were unusable for many people. The last ‘full sized’ Blackberry was the Bold 9000. Whoever pushed RIM’s design studio to make their phones so small should be fired.

3. Reduced the number of Blackberry models down to two – yes two. A corporate model (ie Bold 9000/9900 form factor) and a personal model with more emphasis on multi media. This means RIM could concentrate their efforts on making these two models as great as possible instead of fragmenting their efforts. If Apple can dominate the market with a single model iPhone (with different capacities) then so can Blackberry.
    1). I compeletly disagree. The 9000 was a huge phone, far too large. I am 6' 2" and have large hands. I owned a 9000 for 3 days and returned it.

2). The 9700, the Curve and indeed the Pearl are a range of decent sized phones. Many people like the Pearl form factor because it is small and fits into pockets and purses.

3). RIM makes the Bold, Curve, Pearl and Storm phones. These are made in GSM and CDM variants and are constantly updated. When you look at the 4 phones and understand their numbering system, there is not the plethora of devices that may, at first appear to one who does not understand what RIM is doing. Remember that all BlackBerrys work pretty much alike and if you own one, you can very quickly migrate to another.

I think that RIM have got it right.
    06-20-11 06:11 AM
    1). I compeletly disagree. The 9000 was a huge phone, far too large. I am 6' 2" and have large hands. I owned a 9000 for 3 days and returned it.

2). The 9700, the Curve and indeed the Pearl are a range of decent sized phones. Many people like the Pearl form factor because it is small and fits into pockets and purses.

3). RIM makes the Bold, Curve, Pearl and Storm phones. These are made in GSM and CDM variants and are constantly updated. When you look at the 4 phones and understand their numbering system, there is not the plethora of devices that may, at first appear to one who does not understand what RIM is doing. Remember that all BlackBerrys work pretty much alike and if you own one, you can very quickly migrate to another.

I think that RIM have got it right.
    Agree 100% with the OP. The 9700 is great for some. But they lost a bunch of people when they refused to update it. I just don't see why they didn't focus on that formfactor versus the storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-11 06:50 AM
    Agree 100% with the OP. The 9700 is great for some. But they lost a bunch of people when they refused to update it. I just don't see why they didn't focus on that formfactor versus the storm.

Probably because after the iPhone first dropped, everybody and their mother was screaming for a full touch-screen phone.

06-20-11 02:49 PM

I agree with you.

People/companies that try to be good at everything tend to be good at nothing.

Blackberry is making too many different devices, too many different carrier customizations, and too many versions of their OS for the many devices.

I say make a Bold 9000 form factor (high end) and a Curve or Pearl. Don't bother trying to compete with the touch devices of Apple and Android - they can't win there.
    06-20-11 07:47 PM
    Not news, or rumor.
    06-20-11 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD