Anyone have any insight as to what these "smart accessories" are?

This is interesting! I wonder what RIM has up their sleeves....

When RIM acquired QNX they mentioned they would develop "intelligent peripherals"....I'm very curious as to what is coming our way!

http://n4bb.com/6300/rim-working-on-...rt-accessories

We need to investigate!
    04-28-11 07:00 PM
    Interesting. My guess would include the Mobile Wallet idea, local coupon options based on GPS + NFC, and who knows what else. RIM has said repeatedly that they're jumping into the NFC game aggressively, so it'll be fascinating to see what evolves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-29-11 05:46 AM
    NFC opens up a lot of opportunities for services and hardware.

Time will tell how far they can go.
    04-29-11 07:20 AM
    One option I see is an expansion of the whole Park Mobile mobile electronic payment system. In addition to just using the app to pay (like I do), there could be a kiosk you walk by, wave your phone at it, and go.....

Things like that.....
    04-29-11 08:05 AM
    Heart monitors, keyboards, credit card readers, media devices (both to and from BB), headsets, ....
    04-29-11 10:57 AM
    . . . garage door opener, front door lock/unlock, car starter and on and on and on. Pretty wild to think about what each of our smartphones could become (and potentially replace).
    04-29-11 12:47 PM
    All of this in good time! Just hope RIM survives as it's stock is below $50 a share and falling.
    04-29-11 02:28 PM
    . . . garage door opener, front door lock/unlock, car starter and on and on and on. Pretty wild to think about what each of our smartphones could become (and potentially replace).
    And what kind of trouble we're going to be in if(when) it gets lost or stolen.
    04-30-11 12:10 PM
    ^^^ Yep. I'd think that remote lock/wipe would become a pretty important feature, but I'd also figure that as various NFC apps are developed security will hopefully be a default consideration.
    04-30-11 04:21 PM
    Is there actually a garage door opener app?

04-30-11 05:00 PM
    ^^^ Yep. I'd think that remote lock/wipe would become a pretty important feature, but I'd also figure that as various NFC apps are developed security will hopefully be a default consideration.
    The security will be there, but it will be the user's responsibility to make sure the security is enabled. This will be a horrible thing for so many people, because so many people don't take security seriously.

05-01-11 09:39 AM
    And what kind of trouble we're going to be in if(when) it gets lost or stolen.
    The security will be there, but it will be the user's responsibility to make sure the security is enabled. This will be a horrible thing for so many people, because so many people don't take security seriously.
    Fingerprint Scanners will become a basic staple of smartphones.
    05-01-11 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD