It seems factual that Nortel, another Canadian company, was bought out so I'd say that could be regarded as a fact used in katiepea's defense. Building on that for those of you who don't see her side of this, what makes RIM any more highly regarded than Nortel to the point where they wouldn't let RIM go? Was Nortel the red-headed step-child of Canada?
    compared to RIM yes, RIM is definitely the golden child, and as much as the canadian government clearly wouldn't want them to go, they've stated before they don't think they could stop it, not that they wouldn't try, but it seems it would be out of their hands

Would the Canadian Government block the sale of RIM? | Cantech Letter
    09-16-11 08:16 PM
    RIM needs to figure out why people are buying iDroid products instead of BlackBerries.

Clearly I'm too dumb to figure this out because I question why people buy iDroids over BlackBerries.

I'm sick of hearing analysts say "RIM needs to innovate, they need better handsets, blah blah". The handsets work just fine and the latest lineup is on par with the competition.
    09-16-11 10:28 PM
    RIM needs to figure out why people are buying iDroid products instead of BlackBerries.

Clearly I'm too dumb to figure this out because I question why people buy iDroids over BlackBerries.

I'm sick of hearing analysts say "RIM needs to innovate, they need better handsets, blah blah". The handsets work just fine and the latest lineup is on par with the competition.
    well, i can tell you why, because they're priced at the same pricepoint as iphones and androids with significantly less features. it would seem most people like to get the most for their money, sure fads and trends weigh in, but what is going on here is just what you said, RIM has failed product launch after product launch and waited too long to get with the times, this is the aftermath
    09-16-11 10:30 PM
    What features does the iPhone have that the Torch and other new OS7 phones don't?

Or by features are you talking about 3rd party apps?
    09-16-11 10:38 PM
    What features does the iPhone have that the Torch and other new OS7 phones don't?

Or by features are you talking about 3rd party apps?
    475,000 apps, although if you had me pick between iphone and blackberry, i'd choose blackberry, i pretty much hate apple
    09-16-11 10:41 PM
    475,000 apps
    Most of them useless. I'd rather have a keyboard than half a million 99 cent apps that I can download and play with once.

I'm starting to think that the problem with RIM isn't really a problem with RIM - it's a customer problem. They like pretty little white things with pictures of someone's half-eaten snack on them.
    09-16-11 10:45 PM
    I'm starting to think that the problem with RIM isn't really a problem with RIM - it's a customer problem. They like pretty little white things with pictures of someone's half-eaten snack on them.
    Really?

RIM isn't doing well because it's all the customer's fault. AMAZING.
    09-16-11 10:48 PM
    Most of them useless. I'd rather have a keyboard than half a million 99 cent apps that I can download and play with once.

you're really going to say that MOST of 475k apps are useless? if that's the case i suppose you won't ever be using the android player on qnx right? because why would you apps are useless who wants those?

well, most people, that's who, apps expand the functionality of your phone, i find it very hard to argue against their existence, i would have to assume you wouldn't find it a bad thing if app world had 475k apps.
    09-16-11 10:48 PM
    Really?

in a sense i'd go along with that, i think that people being blind to these flaws for years, and pretending like everything is ok let RIM get way to comfortable.
    09-16-11 10:49 PM
    you're really going to say that MOST of 475k apps are useless? if that's the case i suppose you won't ever be using the android player on qnx right? because why would you apps are useless who wants those?

well, most people, that's who, apps expand the functionality of your phone, i find it very hard to argue against their existence, i would have to assume you wouldn't find it a bad thing if app world had 475k apps.
    I'm sure there are plenty of useful apps that will run in the Android player, but I can only think of a few that I actually need, not half a million. All I really need is a good PDF reader and a decent note taking app. Not 50,000 angry birds.
    09-16-11 11:03 PM
    Really?

I've been in sales and customer service long enough to know that many customers are sheep. They'll buy whatever big brand name they heard 10 times the day before on the TV. A big part of RIM's troubles are customers buying into the belief that iToys are somehow "better".
    09-16-11 11:05 PM
    I've been in sales and customer service long enough to know that many customers are sheep. They'll buy whatever big brand name they heard 10 times the day before on the TV. A big part of RIM's troubles are customers buying into the belief that iToys are somehow "better".
    Do you realize that there are BB "sheep" or rabid fanboys here as well? There are plenty of BBtoys as well, such as the 9860, except that the toys that RIM make suck badly as compared to iToys.

Anyway it's amusing that people are putting the blame on the customers rather than on RIM. Made me chuckle I guess that's the reason why RIM is going downhill, refusing to acknowledge their flaws and whatnot.
    09-16-11 11:12 PM
    well they've been around for years now, and iphones have the highest customer return, next phone purchase out there, blackberry has the lowest between the 3, so they must actually like the devices better, otherwise i would think people would be flocking back
    09-16-11 11:14 PM
    Well,....those iToys are very rapidly vaporising RIM. They had better find a way to survive.
    09-16-11 11:42 PM
    I own an iPhone. Does that make me livestock?
    09-16-11 11:44 PM
    well they've been around for years now, and iphones have the highest customer return, next phone purchase out there, blackberry has the lowest between the 3, so they must actually like the devices better, otherwise i would think people would be flocking back
    And where did these facts come from????

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-11 11:51 PM
    And where did these facts come from????

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    40 Percent of U.S. Mobile Users Own Smartphones; 40 Percent are Android | Nielsen Wire
    09-17-11 12:22 AM
    Are people buying iPhones because the ads are frequent or because they believe the product is better? There is a distinction there.
    09-17-11 12:31 AM
    Many of us WANT to return to the blackberry platform, but can't.

Never in my life have I heard that a companies problems were caused by the customers being, how did someone put it? Sheep? Amazing.

It's quiet simple why people are leaving blackberry. Simply put- I get more bang for my buck on another platform. I like some of the 475,000 apps available and DO NOT want to lose them. Why should I? Some are fun, and others help me manage my day.
    09-17-11 12:47 AM
    Are people buying iPhones because the ads are frequent or because they believe the product is better? There is a distinction there.
    Is there really a distinction?
    If Joe Dirt sees enough frequent ads telling him " if you don't have an iPhone... well, you don't have an iPhone" he's gonna start believing the product is better. Especially if there are few/none ads from the competition disputing this fact.

RIM/Google/MS should be advertising "if you don't have an iPhone... you're smart for doing some research and buying the best phone for your needs."
    09-17-11 12:55 AM
    Many of us WANT to return to the blackberry platform, but can't.

Never in my life have I heard that a companies problems were caused by the customers being, how did someone put it? Sheep? Amazing.

It's quiet simple why people are leaving blackberry. Simply put- I get more bang for my buck on another platform. I like some of the 475,000 apps available and DO NOT want to lose them. Why should I? Some are fun, and others help me manage my day.

i couldn't agree with this more, this is where i am at with android, i never intended to keep android. i bought a nexus one when it came out with full intentions of switching when the torch launched. that phone was so bad i returned it and kept the nexus one, which i kept for a year, still the whole time waiting for RIM to draw me back, this simply hasn't happened. i'm more than willing to keep an open mind about QNX but i'm so into android at this point, i completely love the integration of my phone with my computer and other daily tasks, that it will be hard to leave. i can be at dinner and download a torrent at home from my phone for a show to watch later, or program my DVR, and given this is an enthusiasts forum, and people like to play with their phones, android provides an extreme customization experience from installing different keyboards, to sms apps, to changing the OS entirely from a port from a totally different phone altogether. RIM has a lot of catching up to do, i won't say they need to be like either apple or google, but they need to provide a rich experience for users.

the upcoming sleeper i would predict to really change things is going to be microsoft, android and iOS are solid, but microsoft is getting ready to roll out some totally game changing stuff, a seamless experience between pc, tablet, and phone that is getting nothing but rave reviews and anticipation. if microsoft takes off as a strong #3 then RIM really is in serious serious peril.

if you're interested in looking at the competition coming from microsoft look here: http://www.bgr.com/2011/09/13/sorry-...t-post-pc-era/

there are big time developers banking on windows at this point, even working on apps for wp7 before iOS and android.
    Last edited by katiepea; 09-17-11 at 01:01 AM.
    09-17-11 12:57 AM
    I own an iPhone. Does that make me livestock?
    There was a good example of livestock on the news tonight.

Reporter asked people on the street what they liked better, iPhone or BlackBerry.

One sheep answered "iPhone, cuz I like the iPod app and loud speaker it has".

For F%#K sake, the BlackBerry Torch has a fine music player app, and the speakers is plenty loud enough.

Sheep, livestock, whatever you want to call them they've all fallen victim to Apple's marketing.
    09-17-11 01:17 AM
    There was a good example of livestock on the news tonight.

Reporter asked people on the street what they liked better, iPhone or BlackBerry.

One sheep answered "iPhone, cuz I like the iPod app and loud speaker it has".

For F%#K sake, the BlackBerry Torch has a fine music player app, and the speakers is plenty loud enough.

Sheep, livestock, whatever you want to call them they've all fallen victim to Apple's marketing.
    victim? come on, if RIM was advertising and people flocked to them would you say the same thing? apple makes good products, while i despise the company, what they're doing works, and quite frankly it doesn't matter WHY, RIM is still forced to compete with it.
    09-17-11 01:20 AM
    I can't stand Android. Not just the stupid honeybread and gingercomb names, but I just find the phones stupid and confusing. Nothing is where you want it, the whole interface is too dynamic. Social feeds clutter up practically every screen with unnecessary "I just farted and it smelled" posts from friends of friends on Facespace and Twitbook reports of some girl you don't know blabbering on about her itch "down there".

There's nothing cute about the stupid green robot either. his alien identity crisis is starting to **** me off.

BBOS is clean, straight to the point and functional. The only thing RIM needs to do is market it better and convince a few good app developers to give them the time of day.

I'd rather have a few good functional apps than angry bloody birds.
    i7guy and Jake Storm like this.
    09-17-11 01:24 AM
    Is there really a distinction?
    Yes, there is.

If Joe Dirt sees enough frequent ads telling him " if you don't have an iPhone... well, you don't have an iPhone" he's gonna start believing the product is better.
    If that's the case, why doesn't RIM run ads stating the "If you don't have a PlayBook, then you don't have a PlayBook?" Solved.

RIM/Google/MS should be advertising "if you don't have an iPhone... you're smart for doing some research and buying the best phone for your needs."
    So your argument relies on the assumption that RIM, Google and MS are smart enough to create top flight products but not sharp enough to counter iPhone ads. Not encouraging.
    09-17-11 01:35 AM
363 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD