Millions actually... but who's counting.
    I'm counting, HTC is the #5 phone maker and their revenue for q2 was over 4 billion http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_posts_record_profit_revenue_in_q2_expects_more _of_the_same_in_q3-news-2859.php
    Samsungs is higher

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 06:39 PM
    I'm counting, HTC is the #5 phone maker and their revenue for q2 was over 4 billion HTC posts record profit, revenue in Q2 2011 - GSMArena.com news
    Samsungs is higher

You're looking at revenue, not net income. If you spend 10billion, your revenue is 10.5billion, you raked in 500 million.
    08-06-11 06:55 PM
    You're fooling yourself if you don't think Google, apple, and especially MS will get government security clearances soon. MS is ready for it. Exchange is fantastic, and so is wp7, it wont always be how it is now. And from the words of the BES managers I know, they'd rather be using exchange

Cool! Will this happen before or after the QNX handsets are out, the TabletOS Native SDK is out, Android OS App for TabletOS is out, and the Native PIM and e-mail is available for TabletOS? Also when those platforms get FIPS certification and you can't root or Jailbreak them, will they be as attractive to the respective user bases?

Also the article you linked said
    HTC has a net income of $608 million
    . So RIM made more for the same Quarter.
    Last edited by lnichols; 08-06-11 at 07:10 PM.
    08-06-11 07:05 PM
    Cool! Will this happen before or after the QNX handsets are out, the TabletOS Native SDK is out, Android OS App for TabletOS is out, and the Native PIM and e-mail is available for TabletOS? Also when those platforms get FIPS certification and you can't root or Jailbreak them, will they be as attractive to the respective user bases?

Also the article you linked said . So RIM made more for the same Quarter.
    Facts don't support her argument, so they have no place in this discussion.

Funny how the DOA playbook is FIPS certified already, yet the ipad isn't.

08-06-11 07:24 PM
    HTC has BEEN making quality handsets. My barber was stunting (showing off) his pocket pc just the other day. Lmao. He pulled out a stylus and wrote his name in cursive.. the phone recognized it and put it in text format. Keep in mind that phone is a good 5 years old! HTC + Android. HTC + Windows gives the consumer great variety. I think previous pricepoints held them back. Wasn't surprised at all when I heard about the record profit. *My bad for getting off topic*

Last edited by West Coast Flavor; 08-06-11 at 08:07 PM.
    08-06-11 08:04 PM
    Facts don't support her argument, so they have no place in this discussion.

Funny how the DOA playbook is FIPS certified already, yet the ipad isn't.

you don't start using facts till your 20's in arguments I think
    08-06-11 09:05 PM
    you don't start using facts till your 20's in arguments I think
    Pathetic personal attacks are getting really old, it makes you look stupid, and is off topic, funny how the die hardship are the trolls now. Feel sorry for you

08-06-11 09:58 PM
    Unfortunately katiepea, most on this Blackberry forum think your pathetic attacks on RIM are getting old. They make you look stupid, biased and immature.
    08-06-11 10:42 PM
    You're fooling yourself if you don't think Google, apple, and especially MS will get government security clearances soon. MS is ready for it. Exchange is fantastic, and so is wp7, it wont always be how it is now. And from the words of the BES managers I know, they'd rather be using exchange

Android is nowhere near FIPS certification and iOS has been trying to no great success for several years.
    As long as iOS and Android continue to offer only OS that are easily rooted or jailbroken they will be considered vulnerable to attack and will not receive certification.
    The BES managers and IT staff in my division understand that their personal choices have no bearing on what the federal government will allow to be used behind its firewalls and exchange is nowhere near the monitoring, accountability and traceability functionalities of BES. Android and iOS will need entirely different flavours that do not allow for rooting or jailbreaking before they are FIPS certified.
    Jake Storm and Branta like this.
    08-06-11 10:43 PM
    Android is nowhere near FIPS certification and iOS has been trying to no great success for several years.
    As long as iOS and Android continue to offer only OS that are easily rooted or jailbroken they will be considered vulnerable to attack and will not receive certification.
    The BES managers and IT staff in my division understand that their personal choices have no bearing on what the federal government will allow to be used behind its firewalls and exchange is nowhere near the monitoring, accountability and traceability functionalities of BES. Android and iOS will need entirely different flavours that do not allow for rooting or jailbreaking before they are FIPS certified.
    Android will never be fips certified.

08-06-11 10:59 PM
    Pathetic personal attacks are getting really old, it makes you look stupid, and is off topic, funny how the die hardship are the trolls now. Feel sorry for you

Your misinformation, false claims of knowing insiders, and overall negativity toward the platform this forum was designed to celebrate are getting old too. You often post inaccurate statistics and false information for the sake of proving something. That something seems to be that you don't like BlackBerries. I think we get that.
    maddie1128 and Jake Storm like this.
    08-06-11 11:11 PM
    Unfortunately katiepea, most on this Blackberry forum think your pathetic attacks on RIM are getting old. They make you look stupid, biased and immature.
    Where are these pathetic attacks on rim again? I love blackberry, just think they can't afford any more mistakes and want them to be better, faith doesn't win the game

08-06-11 11:12 PM
    Your misinformation, false claims of knowing insiders, and overall negativity toward the platform this forum was designed to celebrate are getting old too. You often post inaccurate statistics and false information for the sake of proving something. That something seems to be that you don't like BlackBerries. I think we get that.
    Show me something I've said that's not accurate, and I likely own more bb's than you, would like nothing more than to see rim thrive. Whining like babies because they're taking a beating is the worst thing you could do to help

08-06-11 11:15 PM
    100% agreed

Jake Storm likes this.
    08-06-11 11:20 PM
    Show me something I've said that's not accurate, and I likely own more bb's than you, would like nothing more than to see rim thrive. Whining like babies because they're taking a beating is the worst thing you could do to help

Within this thread alone you have stated revenue as profit for two companies in an attempt to bolster your argument. Why would I need to point that out? It was presented to you on the last page. Are you hoping we aren't paying attention?
    Jake Storm likes this.
    08-06-11 11:25 PM
    Ok I'll bite

Its over 500,000 activations daily now, must be a lot of people in pure misery, especially considering a HUGE amount of those activations are ex BB users, surely they'll be coming back
    500,000 activations daily and claiming a huge amount of those are ex blackberry users, is showing lack of fact checking, and certainly isn't right, RIM has increased it's user base quater over quarter which is a fact, and when looking that approximately 20% of the device sales equate to new user subscriptions that would say that their ISN'T a 4.5million Blackberry users defecting to Android every quarter ( assuming one counts 10% as a "Huge" percentage)

for reference see: nokia, motorola, palm
    replied to this once here
    None of which ever had 3 Billion in liquid assets and no debt during their decline.
    so something not accurate yet again and blatantly Negative on RIM

so the playbook has the android app player and email through android before a native email client... the irony of this is pretty fantastic
    Android Player has yet to be released
    Nothing Ironic in the entire process

you're totally right, mediocre is giving it the benefit of the doubt too, claiming it's potential is also a total joke, webOS has more potential than QNX and it's failing just as badly. i'm sorry, for a company who is known for email, to release a tablet, that doesn't even do email, well that makes the playbook actually worthless.
    eMail is not the end all and be all of a tablet, Thus the PlayBook is not worthless, and actually has assistet me in making a lot of money since it's release.

It is after midnight and I'm not gonna pull anything else out.
    maddie1128 and Jake Storm like this.
    08-06-11 11:34 PM
    What about her "supposed" friends, family members, etc who work for Rim and are on this site......

Jake Storm likes this.
    08-06-11 11:42 PM
    No, not that old. Maybe Windows 98
    The OS7 browser is 200% faster than OS5 devices and 40% faster than OS6 Devices because of the graphics accelerator, new processor, and software update.

People who insist hardware is everything are the first people to get suckered into buying the Droid of the month or iPhone of the year.

Please stop telling everyone a wing and fart box will make your phone faster. It really is a steaming pile of crap.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 08-07-11 at 12:18 AM.
    08-07-11 12:15 AM
    Rim is not going any where any time soon. Rim is still making money & I believe they made about 700 million last quarter. Rim doesn't own any money & they are coming out with the new phones soon & I have notice that they are rolling out software up dates faster. Don't count Rim out yet & yes I have been pissed off to about new phones not being out but they are on the way any time now they will be here. Rim can make a come back but they better not screw up again any time soon

08-07-11 12:24 AM
    Ok I'll bite

500,000 activations daily and claiming a huge amount of those are ex blackberry users, is showing lack of fact checking, and certainly isn't right, RIM has increased it's user base quater over quarter which is a fact, and when looking that approximately 20% of the device sales equate to new user subscriptions that would say that their ISN'T a 4.5million Blackberry users defecting to Android every quarter ( assuming one counts 10% as a "Huge" percentage)
    BlackBerry quarterly smartphone share began to dip right when Android took off. I have to believe that, but for Android, RIM's market share would be much higher than it is, especially since WP7 isn't succeeding at all and iOS does not offer any device with a physical keyboard. So yes, it's probably fair to say that RIM isn't "losing" 4.5 million users a quarter to Android, but only if we're defining "losing" as people who have previously owned a BB device. If we include people who would buy BlackBerry devices if there was no Android, the 4.5 million number may be conservative.
    08-07-11 12:45 AM
    BlackBerry quarterly smartphone share began to dip right when Android took off. I have to believe that, but for Android, RIM's market share would be much higher than it is, especially since WP7 isn't succeeding at all and iOS does not offer any device with a physical keyboard. So yes, it's probably fair to say that RIM isn't "losing" 4.5 million users a quarter to Android, but only if we're defining "losing" as people who have previously owned a BB device. If we include people who would buy BlackBerry devices if there was no Android, the 4.5 million number may be conservative.
    I do not deny the loss of BlackBerry users to Android, that is clearly the case just by this forum shows and peoples needs change, RIM doesn't meet the same needs as Android, as Android doesn't meet the same needs as BlackBerry, there is cross over, but they are different demographics.

My post was purely at the "HUGE amount of those activations are ex BB users" claim which by the numbers just can't be factual. seeing as my 4.5million is based on 10% of Android activations in a 90 day quarter, which still can't really be classified as a huge proportion if you take a global smartphone growth sampling the number of new entrants is staggering.
    08-07-11 01:24 AM
    So, just thought I'd throw a couple things out here:

1. A market share decline in a rapidly expanding market with added competitors isn't the doom and gloom people make it out to be; it just means that they're not adding customers as fast as others are adding customers. You can still have growth while losing market share.

2. If you were to take all branding off of Android-based smartphones, could anyone actually tell the difference in handsets? They nearly all have identical form factors with screen size being the only real distinguishing characteristic (apart from the few with physical keyboards stashed in various places). I'm not sure why people insist on bashing RIM while praising HTC, Motorola, et al and Apple for incrementally refreshing the same form factor (especially since's Apple's last foray into 'innovative redesign' killed the phone aspect of their smartphone). Apple hasn't even changed their screen size despite the much larger screens their Android competitors are sporting. I've yet to hear even rumors of anything groundbreaking coming on the next iPhone in the hardware arena (faster processor, more RAM, sound familiar?), just some updates to iOS that will be available on older devices too. Despite this, people are STILL claiming the iPhone 5 (if it's not just a 4S) is going to be the death blow to the rest of the market.

3. All the reasons hardcore users love Android are the same reasons the platform can never really be taken seriously. Anything 'hackable' or 'rootable' or however you want to phrase it, cannot and will not ever be a first choice for anybody with serious security concerns (corporations, governments, etc...)

4. If Apple was successfully able to prevent jailbreaking (and this one I think could actually happen), if deployed in a corporate environment, companies would certainly lock down most everything that makes an iPhone worth using. The games it does so well? No place for them on a corporate phone. The music? It'll probably stay, but good luck convincing the IT department that you need access to the iTunes store in order to do your job.

5. iOS is still a LONG way from Blackberry OS in terms of robust features without having to add an 'app for that'. Notifications are getting better with iOS5 (supposedly), but their core services still lack refinement. The networking in iOS 4.3.5 is atrocious. When logged into my company WiFi using MSCHAP / PEAP, only Safari will work through the company firewall. None of the apps function across the proxy (and the sites aren't blocked if that's what you're wondering. ESPN loads fine in Safari, but the app is DOA). And don't get me started on when I have to change my login credentials every 45 days... iOS botches this simple task at an #EPICFAIL level: 20 seconds on my BB, 4-5 days of retyping my credentials every time I open Safari until the change finally sticks.

So I guess what I'm saying is USE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU BUT DON'T EXPECT ME TO CHANGE JUST BECAUSE YOU LIKE SOMETHING I DON'T. And I don't expect you to use what I like either, I just ask you move along ;-) lol
    08-07-11 02:10 AM
    3. All the reasons hardcore users love Android are the same reasons the platform can never really be taken seriously. Anything 'hackable' or 'rootable' or however you want to phrase it, cannot and will not ever be a first choice for anybody with serious security concerns (corporations, governments, etc...)

4. If Apple was successfully able to prevent jailbreaking (and this one I think could actually happen), if deployed in a corporate environment, companies would certainly lock down most everything that makes an iPhone worth using. The games it does so well? No place for them on a corporate phone. The music? It'll probably stay, but good luck convincing the IT department that you need access to the iTunes store in order to do your job.

Thanks for bringing the thread back to sanity.

It is obvious, Android OS and iOS are not fit for purpose in a secure environment and should not pass certification with unresolved software issues allowing phones to be rooted or jailbroken respectively. These bugs allow an unprivileged user to achieve elevation of privilege to allow execution of arbitrary code and commands. In other words, they are critical bugs which create an inherently insecure system.

Worse... these bugs have been known almost since release and there is no sign of any real effort by Google or Apple to close the loophole. That raises serious concerns about the overall quality of the software, the ability of the programmers, and the will of the companies to apply a fix which will undoubtedly annoy many consumer level users and potentially hurt sales.
    08-07-11 09:01 AM
    i hate to even imagine what these "analysts" would say if RIM ever posted a quarterly loss. Until that happens I'm not going to worry..
    08-07-11 07:24 PM
    That raises serious concerns about the overall quality of the software, the ability of the programmers, and the will of the companies to apply a fix which will undoubtedly annoy many consumer level users and potentially hurt sales.
    Based on the number of discounted Android devices and the number of iOS devices sold, nobody cares about "security on pocketable mobile devices" in 2011 as they did in 2006. This is because in 2006 it was unthinkable that a desktop class OS can be put in a device smaller than a deck of cards.

The new "phones" and tablets are actually PC's and should be categorized as computers and not as "smartphones" or "superphones". It's a shame that RIM's executive team doesn't realize this.

The "phone" part of these devices is now just another app.
    08-07-11 10:25 PM
363 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD