The statement "Its BlackBerry smartphone platform may be stable and secure, but it is slow to add features, and isn't as flexible as the platforms being offered by the competition" in the article cited above is a credible synopsis of RIMs ongoing problems in the smartphone market.

It also appears to hold true for the Playbook.
    I dont understand this. I have used every OS i mean all of them and BB out the box has more features than any. Well except maybe windows (not wp7). Android has the option to download apps to customize but out the box BB lets you change a lot.( ringtones- system wide fonts)I must be missing something.
    08-06-11 07:46 AM
    I do not agree with this because they released there lineup of O.S 7 devices so I think those will hold people up until QNX comes out.
    08-06-11 07:50 AM
    Wow...

Guess those 450,000 activations a day are just a bunch of ticked off people with their completely useless and "buggy" phones huh?

I'm amazed those phone companies and Google are still in business.
    with a said 40% return rate also wasnt it. Just sayin
    08-06-11 08:53 AM
    I do not agree with this because they released there lineup of O.S 7 devices so I think those will hold people up until QNX comes out.
    Dedicated BB users yes, but outside of that there is a chance of disappointment. Most people don't want to be simply "held over".
    08-06-11 08:53 AM
    OS7 will sell very well I think, both in US and the rest if the world, and definitely give them steady revenue till QNX phones are ready and hit the market. The browser on the 9850/60 looks better than what I've seen from the competition and the new BBM integration for apps looks awesome. Unfortunately I think so many analcysts, I mean analysts, have assumed and sold RIM and OS7 short and told clients to bail that they have to keep up with the negativity. Very few of these clowns have predicted anything right about anything before.
    08-06-11 08:56 AM
    I love all the "analysts" bashing the new phones and producing supposedly insightful comments which are exactly the same as all the others. These are the very same folks who previously (like last week) were bemoaning the outdated phones and lack of innovation at RIM. All of this really doesn't matter until purchasers listen to stock analysts to make buying decisions. which unfortunately many do.

Moving beyond the recent product announcements, I think RIM has made some wickedly smart moves in the past few months that flew largely under the radar. The Balance software is truly genius and will enable large corporations to manage the user's two "worlds" like no other provider. Unique products like this enables RIM to maintain and grow it's key corporate market

The actions they have taken to help the developer community build new apps and more importantly, migrate existing apps is simply outstanding, relative to where they were. We will be seeing the effects of this in the near future.

There are many more small but critical developments that are happening largely behind the scenes which will make RIM a key player for some time to come.

Unfortunately, RIM is the target of an organized smear campaign that doesn't seem to have an end in sight which seems to have started the day the iPhone was announced.
    08-06-11 09:36 AM
    The stock market is like a fairy from Peter Pan. if you don't believe in it it will die but if you believe and clap enough they will flourish. People have to start believing in RIM and have patience in the company. Yes they do take awhile to do things and yes they aren't good on their time frame promises but in the end they have pulled threw for us and will continue doing so as long as we believe in them and keep clapping.
    08-06-11 09:51 AM
    Every time I read another clueless analyst's opinion I wonder how many shares of Apple they own. Does anybody else find it interesting that the only analysts we ever seem to hear about, as far as RIM is concerned, are the negative ones? Where's the positivity? Look, it's obvious to everyone with half a brain that RIM has had a very poor market year but they're not "dead in the water". Give me a break. RIM is thriving everywhere BUT the US. It would certainly help their rep but based on their earnings alone they clearly don't need the US market to make steady/rising profits.

If anything the QNX transition should provide a positive outlook for the year ahead, not a negative one. RIM only purchased QNX around this time last year, and from an OS standpoint look what they've managed to do already (it'll only develop further when they release their NDK to developers). Assuming they have all their teams in place there's no reason to believe we can't anticipate a QNX phone within 6-8 months as Mike L. promised.

These analysts all beat the same dead horse regarding RIM's incremental updates, washed-up form factors, etc. Hasn't every iPhone update been incremental? Isn't that form factor the same? I don't understand how, why, or where this clearly-organized smear campaign originated but it's gotten quite sad.
    08-06-11 11:11 AM
    that's a good question, where in fact IS the positivity? unless you consider the fact that most analysts are now watching google, expecting them to purchase RIM in hopes of gaining IP
    08-06-11 11:16 AM
    that's a good question, where in fact IS the positivity?
    The media doesn't have time for this "positivity" you speak of.
    08-06-11 11:17 AM
    I agree with Buzz !
    08-06-11 11:52 AM
    You must be in constant misery with your phone cuz all you do is hang around here in the blackberry forums shooting off your mouth. They do have forums for your wonderful phone-why don't you go look that up????
    Hmm, pretty sure forums exist for "shooting off your mouth" that's called. CO MMUNI CAY SHUN. I own 9 bb phones, and plan on getting more, regardless of that commenting here has nothing to so with my state of misery, at least my post was on topic and not telling people they shouldn't speak

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-11 11:57 AM
    Frankly I will gladly accept RIM's stable/secure/slow OS over an platform with so many security risks that there are monthly articles reporting vulnerabilities. I need my information, transactions and activities secure more than I need to watch movies or play games on my phone....God created laptops for those.
    In the month I used my Atrix I had two phishing incidents. None before, none after. What a coincidence...
    Those who do care about a secure and stable OS, like me, will continue to buy BB devices. Oh...guess who that also includes...the U.S. Federal government, which iOS an Android still can't penetrate since they still haven't got certification.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Rim would be purchased before they relied solely on govt/sec sales. My father in law works for the govt and has an issued BB. It has a scroll wheel on the side, that's how often they purchase new devices

08-06-11 12:00 PM
    Rofl no, that was proven to be completely made up. Obviously. What company could survive with return rates like that ? Samsung and HTC are raking in billions

08-06-11 12:03 PM
    You must be in constant misery with your phone cuz all you do is hang around here in the blackberry forums shooting off your mouth. They do have forums for your wonderful phone-why don't you go look that up????
    Thank you!

08-06-11 12:07 PM
    From July 7th of this year

/yawn. Next
    So Jackson shorted the stock and made a killing on the way down. Holds none now and will likely be all in if the new 7 phones perform. If they are buggy or sluggish, RIM is in trouble.
    08-06-11 12:54 PM
    Rim would be purchased before they relied solely on govt/sec sales. My father in law works for the govt and has an issued BB. It has a scroll wheel on the side, that's how often they purchase new devices

Well obviously your father-in-law is representative of the entire government. I see plenty of Torches and 97XX here in DC metro area. I'm sure I'll start seeing plenty of OS7 devices here too. Also the millions being sold worldwide to consumers every quarter, they'll be eating these phones up too. People seem to forget that RIM is MAKING lots of money, and has plenty in the bank. I'm also pretty sure that Mike and Jim also have enough control of the company to prevent any purchases from the outside.
    08-06-11 01:04 PM

I never said that it would rely solely but the government and secure corporate sector will always choose security over flashy specs. There are consumers who value security. Unbelievable as that may seem to some.

As to your father in law's situation...that's extremely unusual...those phones were retired a long time back and replaced with 88xxs and or with 83xx Curves. The oldest Curves I see now are the 85xx series.
    My agency is currently using 9650s from Verizon with no cameras as needed based on the sensitivity of the position and AT&T's 9700s.
    The reason I know this is because my division handles the contracts for fleet services.

Actually, still using a device that has a trackwheel speaks a great deal as to the durability of the device. I haven't seen one of those in years.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 08-06-11 at 01:42 PM. Reason: forgot about the work issued 8830WE I had from 2008 until the Tour and then 9650
    Blacklatino likes this.
    08-06-11 01:10 PM
    Who better to give an accurate assessment than a hedge fund manager who likes to short RIM? And what better place to run this interview than a website run by a man who is barred from trading securities because of fraud?
    08-06-11 01:49 PM
    Wait....WHAT?!?!?!?!??
    08-06-11 01:53 PM
    OS7 will sell very well I think, both in US and the rest if the world, and definitely give them steady revenue till QNX phones are ready and hit the market.
    As long as RIM can report a revenue increase while profit decreases, "steady revenue" is not what RIM needs.
    08-06-11 02:06 PM
    Well obviously your father-in-law is representative of the entire government. I see plenty of Torches and 97XX here in DC metro area. I'm sure I'll start seeing plenty of OS7 devices here too. Also the millions being sold worldwide to consumers every quarter, they'll be eating these phones up too. People seem to forget that RIM is MAKING lots of money, and has plenty in the bank. I'm also pretty sure that Mike and Jim also have enough control of the company to prevent any purchases from the outside.
    People usually buy other companies while they're still making money otherwise it'd be a rather terrible deal. What makes companies acquisition targets is a trend of slowing revenue and loss of competitiveness, which is indeed the current situation

08-06-11 06:27 PM
    That report has already been debunked as unsubstantiated rumor. Any manufacturer with a return rate that high would be out of business rapidly.
    08-06-11 06:29 PM
    I never said that it would rely solely but the government and secure corporate sector will always choose security over flashy specs. There are consumers who value security. Unbelievable as that may seem to some.

As to your father in law's situation...that's extremely unusual...those phones were retired a long time back and replaced with 88xxs and or with 83xx Curves. The oldest Curves I see now are the 85xx series.
    My agency is currently using 9650s from Verizon with no cameras as needed based on the sensitivity of the position and AT&T's 9700s.
    The reason I know this is because my division handles the contracts for fleet services.

Actually, still using a device that has a trackwheel speaks a great deal as to the durability of the device. I haven't seen one of those in years.
    You're fooling yourself if you don't think Google, apple, and especially MS will get government security clearances soon. MS is ready for it. Exchange is fantastic, and so is wp7, it wont always be how it is now. And from the words of the BES managers I know, they'd rather be using exchange

08-06-11 06:29 PM
    Rofl no, that was proven to be completely made up. Obviously. What company could survive with return rates like that ? Samsung and HTC are raking in billions

Millions actually... but who's counting.
    08-06-11 06:37 PM
363 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD