The statement "Its BlackBerry smartphone platform may be stable and secure, but it is slow to add features, and isn't as flexible as the platforms being offered by the competition" in the article cited above is a credible synopsis of RIMs ongoing problems in the smartphone market.

It also appears to hold true for the Playbook.
    Some may argue that the reason it is "stable and secure" is because it has been slow (read: careful) to add features and be as flexible as the others.
    08-05-11 08:50 AM
    I'm sure some analysts like this guy must have predicted that Apple would be dead by 2000. The same analysts predicted that an event like 2007 cannot happen and the US economy will have unlimited access to debt. Shows how much these analysts know.
    The smartphone industry is in a huge flux and like any human endeavour it is inherently unpredictable.
    This guy has either chosen to ignore news about the industry or has purposely omitted information to make his shot in the dark sound reasonable.
    The fact is that there are huge markets like India where the iPhone does not have the fan following it has in North America. BB has a huge brand value here and people will try the QNX phones when they come out. And just like any fad, it only takes a small time to sell millions if something takes hold.
    I'm surprised that this analyst has not factored in the income from patents that RIM now hold along with Apple, Microsoft. Google missed out completely on the Nortel patent sale, and the effect is yet to manifest.
    Google is already crying foul about it.
    Google lawyer slams Apple, Microsoft over patents - The West Australian
    Thing is if Google had been successful in buying those patents they wouldn't have talked about fairness and other fanciful ideas.
    Fair or not this event certainly has Google worried. I'm not saying that Android will fail. The point here is that it's too early to call what will happen in this industry.
    And analysts like this who are already short a particular share might be indulging in rumor mongering so that they can make an extra buck. Either that or they are plain incompetent as analysts tend to be. With their track records analysts can be called every name in the book and all will fit them.
    Last edited by sam_b77; 08-05-11 at 09:56 AM.
    08-05-11 09:22 AM
    "Speaking to Business Insider, Jackson said of RIM, "It's a bad software company" and RIM's "not going to change their stripes over night." More to the point, Jackson blames RIM's co-CEOs, Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie, for its troubles. The company has "bad co-founders, and they're going to drive this company straight into the ground," said Jackson. "

I couldn't agree more with this statement. Their lack of vision, awareness and ability to execute have taken RIM down.

The only hope I see for RIM is one or both of the CEOs are forced to leave. That the new QNX phones are rolled out better then the PB was/is, that folks begin to tire of their Droids and IPhones and want something different.

With the continued down turn in the world economy and the probable further
    lowering of RIMs stock price it does make them open to being bought up.

Even the roll out of the new OS7 phones was not done as well as it should of been. most folks don't even know their are new phones on the way. (if you can call them new) OS7 is like running Windows 95 on a quad core PC machine. A fast old operating system. Yes the current BB users and loyalist will love it, but the defection from RIM to other platforms will continue.

As far as depending on smaller countries to keep RIMs bottom line good, they will
    see that fall off as well as services improve and people want more from their phones.

To deny most of this is to deny reality and Mike and Jim are not living there.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 08-05-11 at 10:43 AM.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    08-05-11 10:09 AM
    i want what phone this analyst uses of wait a BLACKBERRY!!!!!!!!!
    What?

Tim
    TheIgster and scorpiodsu like this.
    08-05-11 10:10 AM
    They currently have a stock buy-back program....However are only "legally" allowed to buy-back 5% per year.....Which is very unfortunate
    They are doing this now.

Tim
    08-05-11 10:11 AM
    I've been critical of RIM but that's just ludicrous. RIM can survive in international 2g markets alone and enterprise. They do not need the US 3g/4g markets.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    That's not how things work in the business world. Surviving on other markets is no guarantee your stock won't fall. North American market share shrinkage so far has driven the stock value down. If it drops any further then a takeover is more likely.
    08-05-11 02:12 PM
    OS7 is like running Windows 95 on a quad core PC machine. A fast old operating system.

Tim
    No, not that old. Maybe Windows 98
    08-05-11 02:21 PM
    Not sure how a company could blow through $3 BILLION in cash (with no debt) in a year and a half... and thats only if they dont make ANY more money. lol

Next.
    for reference see: nokia, motorola, palm
    08-05-11 02:24 PM
    Not sure how a company could blow through $3 BILLION in cash (with no debt) in a year and a half... and thats only if they dont make ANY more money. lol

Next.
    They don't have to blow their reserve to fail. The stock value could drop even more and someone could take them over.

BTW, $3B is peanuts in the corporate world.
    08-05-11 02:34 PM
    They are still making money (approx $700 Million) every quarter with $3 Billion cash. If they were losing money an eating into the cash I'd be worried, but I think they will have a strong fourth quarter this year because they actually have something to sell in the US and the devices look exciting. Finally a quick web browser in a BB phone.
    08-05-11 02:49 PM
    but I think they will have a strong fourth quarter this year because they actually have something to sell in the US and the devices look exciting. Finally a quick web browser in a BB phone.
    Actually they don't. The new phones are just that...phones. Everyone else (iOS and Android) are selling computers. People want apps. The new Blackberry "phones" don't.

RIM's browser reputation is even worse than Internet Explorer. Besides, do you know who developed the WebKit Tools to begin with and released them to Open Source in order to combat Microsoft's Explorer?

Sorry, but RIM did this to themselves.
    08-05-11 04:38 PM
    None of which ever had 3 Billion in liquid assets and no debt during their decline.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-05-11 04:40 PM
    Exactly. Analysts are like weathermen...............

At least meteorology is based on science ...
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    08-05-11 04:41 PM
    Three cell companies that struggled...well yeah, it's always the same each time.
    08-05-11 04:44 PM

RIM's browser reputation is even worse than Internet Explorer. Besides, do you know who developed the WebKit Tools to begin with and released them to Open Source in order to combat Microsoft's Explorer?
    Yeah let me know the next time someone backdoors you with a trojan executed by exploiting security holes in the blackberry browser. Until then... internet exploder?
    08-05-11 04:45 PM
    Actually they don't. The new phones are just that...phones. Everyone else (iOS and Android) are selling computers. People want apps. The new Blackberry "phones" don't.

Sorry, but RIM did this to themselves.
    My last two android "computers" either couldn't get a gps lock, froze and crashed on average twice a day, with the stock battery lasted seven to eight hours of use, had horrible speakers and in all honesty given battery issues you really want to avoid doing much beyond the most basic and learn to love stand by like your mother, did not receive phone calls 30% of the time on one and 20% of the time on the other two, and were sporadic on messages sent and received in regard to timing. Looking back, my android computer seemed more like a buggy phone.
    08-05-11 04:51 PM
    My last two android "computers" either couldn't get a gps lock, froze and crashed on average twice a day, with the stock battery lasted seven to eight hours of use, had horrible speakers and in all honesty given battery issues you really want to avoid doing much beyond the most basic and learn to love stand by like your mother, did not receive phone calls 30% of the time on one and 20% of the time on the other two, and were sporadic on messages sent and received in regard to timing. Looking back, my android computer seemed more like a buggy phone.
    Luckily for Google Samsung HTC Motorola LG , this isn't the experience for majority of users, including me, whatsoever.

08-05-11 04:54 PM
    Wow...

Guess those 450,000 activations a day are just a bunch of ticked off people with their completely useless and "buggy" phones huh?

I'm amazed those phone companies and Google are still in business.
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    08-05-11 04:56 PM
    Wow...

Guess those 450,000 activations a day are just a bunch of ticked off people with their completely useless and "buggy" phones huh?

I'm amazed those phone companies and Google are still in business.
    Its over 500,000 activations daily now, must be a lot of people in pure misery, especially considering a HUGE amount of those activations are ex BB users, surely they'll be coming back

TheIgster likes this.
    08-05-11 04:58 PM
    I want to find out this guy's stock pick's so I can go short on them...

RIM will be around long after this analyst's career is over...
    Not likely. Look at a chart for a year(long time for tech) and tell me all the money was not made on the short side or with puts.

While Rimm continues to falter, someone will try to buy them given their very low P/E. Someone will take a chance imo.

Even with their future lower estimates, the value should be right for someone to acquire.

Trying to catch a falling knife never seems to work with tech, neither do value plays that are covered with shorts.
    08-05-11 06:02 PM
    You know, I have NEVER heard about "Analysts" before I got into Crackberry.com

I guess I'm not much into the stock game, but I'd like to think it's a good thing. I am quite content living from the WORK I actually do with my own hands....
    homer1475 and sam_b77 like this.
    08-05-11 10:20 PM
    Its over 500,000 activations daily now, must be a lot of people in pure misery, especially considering a HUGE amount of those activations are ex BB users, surely they'll be coming back

You must be in constant misery with your phone cuz all you do is hang around here in the blackberry forums shooting off your mouth. They do have forums for your wonderful phone-why don't you go look that up????
    08-05-11 11:07 PM
    Some may argue that the reason it is "stable and secure" is because it has been slow (read: careful) to add features and be as flexible as the others.

Frankly I will gladly accept RIM's stable/secure/slow OS over an platform with so many security risks that there are monthly articles reporting vulnerabilities. I need my information, transactions and activities secure more than I need to watch movies or play games on my phone....God created laptops for those.
    In the month I used my Atrix I had two phishing incidents. None before, none after. What a coincidence...
    Those who do care about a secure and stable OS, like me, will continue to buy BB devices. Oh...guess who that also includes...the U.S. Federal government, which iOS an Android still can't penetrate since they still haven't got certification.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    08-06-11 04:21 AM
    everything he said was correct but nobody knows how these new devices will take hold in the public domain. People may love them and caused people to leave droid (like me) and iPhone. Nobody really knows, but he is spot on with the management
    08-06-11 06:05 AM

Oops, someone touched the Android nerve. They're starting to twitch.

My son's friend had his Droid out yesterday and was showing my son an app they could use as a speedometer on they're skateboards. Very cool app. But then I noticed something on the back of his phone, it was a battery pack. It made his phone look like a camel. Wow did I laugh. He said he needs to wear pants with big pockets to carry his phone. Lol.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    08-06-11 06:27 AM
363 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD