So, I'm sure most of you have read the story on the homepage of CB about the Indian government going back and forth with RIM. Personally I'm glad that RIM is making a stand and I support them. Just because a few people might be (emphasis on might) using email to plan things like terrorist attacks doesn't mean that they should invade every person's privacy. I know that the laws are different in other countries and that's fine, but people deserve privacy.

This is like people blaming violence in movies and video games for crimes. Sure it's possible that a very very small percentage of people are inspired to commit crimes because of video games. But the vast majority of people know that just because you see something in a movie or video game, doesn't mean that you should do it in real life. Nobody is forcing these things on people, there are systems in place to keep the young and impressionable from being able to access this material. It's their parent's job to make sure they don't see it. Not everything can be made with children in mind.

But back to the subject, got a little off topic there. They don't need to try and spy on every single person and read every bit of email, I mean if you want to be serious about this, there is no way that they could even monitor all those communications in any sort of efficient manner. So really if they want to devote the resources it would take to monitor 100,000 people's email, they would be more susceptible to an attack. And that's only if there was a "master key" or "back door" in the encryptions. Neither of those things exist in the BlackBerry though, which is a very awesome thing for RIM to have done.

So what do you guys think? I think RIM should tell the Indian government to do what they think they need to do, because RIM isn't going to assist in the invasion of their customer's privacy.
    06-01-08 02:52 PM
    I am also glad that RIM took a stand. Unlike some other comapanies abroad. Especially in China.
    06-01-08 02:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD