Hotspot is an extra monthly fee on Verizon.
    It ain't necessarily so.

Verizon To Allow Free Mobile Hotspot Tethering With The New iPad [Verizon iPads Will Have Free Mobile Hotspot Access, AT&T Not To Allow iPad Tethering] | TFTS

Verizon�s customer service team claimed that new iPads bought with a Verizon 4G connection would be allowed to tether to other devices and share the data connection, and they later clarified that by saying that all of their tablet data plans include mobile hotspot access. So there will be no extra cost.
    04-02-12 07:49 AM
    It ain't necessarily so.

Verizon To Allow Free Mobile Hotspot Tethering With The New iPad [Verizon iPads Will Have Free Mobile Hotspot Access, AT&T Not To Allow iPad Tethering] | TFTS

Verizon�s customer service team claimed that new iPads bought with a Verizon 4G connection would be allowed to tether to other devices and share the data connection, and they later clarified that by saying that all of their tablet data plans include mobile hotspot access. So there will be no extra cost.
    So those tablets have a cell radio in them and you're paying for that access. So you're paying for your phones access plus paying for your tablets access. I guess they could allow wifi hotspot for that.
    04-02-12 07:54 AM
    Exactly. It's not free. It's $30-80 more a month. You think Verizon and Apple would do anything for free? Get real.

Bridging, for me, is FREE AND UNLIMITED.

My BlackBerry phone plus my BlackBerry PlayBook with unlimited data on BOTH is $68 a month. Can't beat that with a phone and tab combo. I've done the math. I love saving money so I researched.
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-02-12 at 08:03 AM.
    04-02-12 08:00 AM
    So those tablets have a cell radio in them and you're paying for that access. So you're paying for your phones access plus paying for your tablets access. I guess they could allow wifi hotspot for that.
    Not necessarily. You could have an iPod Touch or other wi-fi device.

Exactly. It's not free. It's $30-80 more a month. You think Verizon and Apple would do anything for free? Get real.

Bridging, for me, is FREE AND UNLIMITED.
    Your BlackBerry isn't "free" either. Yes, if you're already carrying (and paying for) BlackBerry service, there is no additional cost to Bridge. But "no additional cost" does not always equal "free," and this is an example.
    04-02-12 08:09 AM
    Free or at no additional cost. I'm still not paying an EXTRA $30-80 a month for data on a tab. You can try to spin it all you want. When I use my BlackBerry PlayBook data I don't pay more. I pay $0 more a month for tablet data.

Why would I get an iPad Touch if I needed or not wanted a tab? Not sure how that made it into the convo.
    04-02-12 08:12 AM
    $50 a month for 5gb and $80 a month for 10gb. Let's see if we have all these other ipads, ipods, phones etc accessing the hotspot that 5gb should be gone in a week or less.
    04-02-12 08:24 AM
    snip... I use my phone for communication. I hope that's what BlackBerry stays about. Continue to improve the tab for media.
    Not everyone can afford or wants a tablet. You're idea is what RIM is all about right now. How's that working out?
    As we see phones like the Note that are huge for a phone and small for a tab, I am realizing that's exactly what I DONT want in a phone.
    Understood. However the Note has been out less the 6 months and is in the 5mil plus range.
    In my opinion, the trend will fade, and folks will want a phone that is geared towards communication and with a good battery. Things usually get back to basics after the coolness factor wears off.
    That's where I think we are now...
    That is what feature phones are for.
    04-02-12 05:02 PM
    iOS has skype. Have used it myself. I referred play book since it has the os which the next gen blackberry is to be based on. I assume that you too agree that bb10 is the way to go instead of sticking with current BBOS.

As for the multimedia services, I agree with your statements. But they are already available in the other platforms today. I am just suggesting that the points which you mentioned are not a selling factor for majority of the people.

Or, have I completely misunderstood your post ?

My point is that Apple ships it's iOS devices with native support for video chat. They support Skype, sure, but they don't rely on it to deliver a great mobile experience. It's not written in stone for RIM to have to rely on Skype either.

BB10 is a must happen for RIM.

Smartphone features don't sell phones, great advertising and a cohesive marketing strategy does. Consumers bought iPhones because they were novel. Consumers bought Androids because they were novel. RIM in the face of these novel competitors was no longer novel because the new novelty was apps, not email. The playing field has stabilized such that RIM, with BB10 and effective positioning can set the tenor again, and dictate the market.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 07:33 PM

In my opinion, the trend will fade, and folks will want a phone that is geared towards communication and with a good battery. Things usually get back to basics after the coolness factor wears off.

That's where I think we are now...
    It what cases has the "back to basics" approach been applied and successful? Its hard to consider something a fad when the industry is successfully moving in that direction, and has been for several years now. When exactly do you anticipate "the trend to fade" exactly? Also its not fair to say these other devices aren't capable of communication.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk
    04-02-12 08:56 PM
    It what cases has the "back to basics" approach been applied and successful? Its hard to consider something a fad when the industry is successfully moving in that direction, and has been for several years now. When exactly do you anticipate "the trend to fade" exactly? Also its not fair to say these other devices aren't capable of communication.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

The Ford GT

#BlackBerryTorchBearer
    04-15-12 06:23 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD