"The US government is not alone in wanting to snoop on everything citizens do over email/phone. The Indian government wants that right too. RIM is stating they have no means to decrypt, no master key, and no back door to allow the government to access email." The article notes that 114,000 BlackBerries are in use on the Indian subcontinent. The government is concerned about attacks by militants and sees the BlackBerry as a security risk.

India, RIM meet again to discuss security concerns - Yahoo! News
    05-30-08 11:47 AM
    Yeah, but it's a good thing RIM is standing up and not allowing the privacy to be compromised. I can understand both sides, but this could also be an invasion of a lot of companies' inner workings, leading to a lot of scandals. A lot of time bombs waiting to go off if RIM allowed a government in
    05-30-08 12:39 PM
    yeah and we all know that the gov't any government would NEVER EVER use this for anything other than legal and approved surveillance
    05-30-08 01:06 PM
    I can understand both sides too.
    05-30-08 01:16 PM
    Blackberries are their primary concern for security risk!? What a crock.
    05-30-08 01:33 PM
    Blackberries are their primary concern for security risk!? What a crock.
    They are a risk for governments, they are weapons of mass communication.
    05-30-08 02:11 PM
    RIIIGHT pivacy s preythymuch dead in al other forms of comunication weel th exeption being the cryptophone.

the big brother position dosn't work so well NYC is using london UK for a socila model bad idea to begin with>

take the camera analogy for example ok the ring of steel ltdos is have criminals were masks an committher crimes somwere else were thers not a camers

heck half the time som of the cameras arn't vn working

in Philidelpha i heard ther was an incident
    wereumon gotmuggedo shot weel there were cameras ther an they wernt even working.

sorry folkste nany state is not the awnser get a gun or a sword and some mace learn to use'em common sense andself
    defense prevail
    05-31-08 12:16 AM
    Personally, having nothing to hide from my government I don't care if they monitor my boring phone calls.

Now if I were in India I might feel different, but then India doesn't have the NSA and Raptor.
    06-01-08 03:31 PM
    I see this as a pretty slippery slope for RIM. If they provide that sort of information to the Indian government, surely other governments would demand similar treatment--for general monitoring as well as for national security. Giving in is a pretty easy way to globally destroy the brand in no time.
    06-03-08 10:33 AM
    This activity on the part of the Indian government is typical of the worldwide decline in personal privacy. Opening the RIM system to snooping in India would be the first step in snooping worldwide. What makes anyone think that NSA or CIA or KGB couldn't compromise or suborn the Indian system for their own use. I am conservative and support the war on terror but this is a slippery slope indeed. I hope RIM will stand their ground!
    06-03-08 11:09 AM
    The Indian gov't needs to focus on improving the daily lives of their citizen's and maybe they wouldn't have to worry so much about terrorism. They still use the caste system and do not provide an income level that would allow families to rise out of poverty and not join terrorist groups.

I also do not want the NSA reading my boring emails about groceries and what my weekend plans are, but they are still my personal emails.
    06-03-08 11:57 AM
    Good for RIM, I am glad they are sticking to their guns and not giving in to what India wants!
    06-04-08 06:10 PM
    Even though my messages, emails and phone calls do not contain anything illegal, I still do not want the government looking at my private information. The U.S. Constitution almost has no more credibility as it is, if they let this happen we should just return to Medieval Times. It's bad enough they get to use the Patriot Act for any little thing they want. Stand your ground RIM!
    06-05-08 02:51 AM
    RIM gave in. Now what?
    It was always a choice between business income and business ethics and MONEY TALKS BABY.
    Quite sensible from the point of view of RIM to take such a business minded decision.
    And it is not as if each and every mail is scrutinised. Whenever the govt. wants it can retrieve concerned messages/mail from RIM Server.
    06-05-08 06:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD