Hi everyone,

I thought this would be an interesting discussion, especially for those, like me - who do not understand the business side of things!

What is going on with RIM and all the media talk right now?
    What was the announcement that has sent shocks to the market really mean?
    What are the investment banks doing with RIM?

And above all, will RIM be around this time next year?! I think they will be but I don't understand all the business talk about them. I'm going to order my replacement BlackBerry (Bold 9790) and I want to get many years out of it with BBM!

Cheers!
    05-30-12 03:42 PM
    Short answer: Nobody knows what senior management is thinking.
    05-30-12 03:49 PM

Q1 - What is going on with RIM and all the media talk right now?
    Q2 - What was the announcement that has sent shocks to the market really mean?
    Q3 - What are the investment banks doing with RIM?

A1 - RIM is having their worst quarter since the smartphone industry began, so the media is talking a lot about it, because people buy news to hear the bad, not to read about the good. so RIM is news because they aren't doing well

A2 - The Announcement said RIM lost money for the first time, which is to be expected, RIM re-announced that they had hired banks to look at options, as Thor said when he took power that he would explore all options to improve RIM as a company. 99% of the people read that were IDIOTS and forgot that RIM said that was the plan at the get go and are reading this announcement like RIM is doing it now just so they can organize a sale.

A3 - Investment banks really should be staying away from RIM(M) It is far too risky of an investment right now RIM is betting everything on the 4th calendar quarter of 2012, I suspect RIM is still being heavily targeted by short sellers as the smallest rumors have reasonable effects on the stock
    sputneek likes this.
    05-30-12 05:38 PM
    That sums it up pretty nice, short and sweet too, thanks.
    I'm hoping big time for Thorsten Heins to be the Lee Iaccoca of this decade. And you can clearly see the motivation, very similar scenario. As for a sale, why? makes no sense, they're not in that kind of trouble.
    05-30-12 06:01 PM
    Thanks!

So why are some media outlets saying a sale is coming, Facebook to buy Research In Motion?! Microsoft, Samsung!? Woaaahhhh!!! Why would they be sold? How could that happen?!

I really hope RIM pulls through. I think it will be a hard few months before BB10 comes but then I think it will all start to pick up from there.
    05-31-12 07:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD