Then they can use the free service if they don't want to pay. BBM is considered the cream of the crop quailty wise. The only issue is getting people back to using it.
    cream of the crop? really??? what makes it so great that i'd want to pay for it???
    12-21-12 11:19 AM
    Then they can use the free service if they don't want to pay. BBM is considered the cream of the crop quailty wise. The only issue is getting people back to using it.
    That's a pretty big issue for a messaging app to have, no one using it.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    12-21-12 11:21 AM
    Because you can reach everybody with a phone with SMS. That's what makes it indispensable. With BBM, I can reach maybe 10% of the people I know.
    You can even remotely control computer systems via SMS as well as receive server status updates via SMS.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    12-21-12 11:24 AM
    In Barbados where I live, BIS is the data plan you get when you have a BlackBerry. It is not an additional cost, like some have said it is. T-Mobile USA have an unlimited SMS plan that includes BBM, what if that is the base of the plan? We pay for data, just like the other platforms and get BBM for free like we do now but things like BBM Video & Voice over data, BBM Music, BBM Money or whatever extra BBM services they include as add-ons.

People always said that BIS was a barrier for people to try BB because they could not explain why they need to pay extra to access the internet. I think that what they could be doing is looking at what services that are on BES and moving some over to BIS and offering them as addons. Right now, if they added these features, it would an all or nothing situation. In my country, we have different BIS packages based on what you want.

Do not forget, that they have been pushing BBM integration, it is almost mandatory to have your app BBM integrated. They have been building a social platform with BBM and I think that once they have added enough services to it and they will make it cross platform. Why? As it is BBM to people who have not used it is just another IM client, they can use SMS or Whatsapp or Viber, or any other IM. But if they made it a true mobile social network, with services and features that other platforms may want, they will gladly pay for it if RIM can sell the need to run it through the NOC.

The enterprise knows why they have stayed with RIM and BlackBerry so long, RIM needs to show the consumer market that there is a reason for them to want a BB.

However, I do not think that BlackBerry handhelds are the end game, I honestly think that it is the beginning but they need to nail this because they need for people to give them the chance to show them what they have in store for them.

I think a lot of people only see RIM and BlackBerry as phones and the failed PlayBook, they need to use that to their advantage. Everyone is very concerned with their bid to get back in the smartphone market, no one is noticing, really, the NFC system that they are the underlying platform for, they are not assigning much credence to the QNX marketshare in the auto industry. I don't think much people know about them using playbooks to control the power in people's homes. RIM is trying to pull a Microsoft, they want to be the platform on which you make things happen. Honestly, let the rest have the interface, I would rather be the backend.

Which would you prefer RIM and QNX being the platform that runs your homes and your cars or do you want Google and Android or maybe Apple to do it? Microsoft?

Maybe this is a wishful dream but if I could sit down and think of several ways for RIM to build an ecosystem beyond apps, music and video, I am quite sure that they are smarter people working at RIM that have thought of them also.
    morlock_man, MTL, sugbo and 2 others like this.
    12-21-12 11:26 AM
    Free services that work great, are free, cross platform and popular have pretty much destroyed any old notion that BBM is something special. WhatsApp, FB Messenger, Gmail, and all the Asian chat apps are killing it right now, not to mention the notion of a monthly plan works very poorly in places where we don't buy our phones on contract and switch SIM cards almost daily.
    12-21-12 12:23 PM
    The way I see it BBM has been integral for me to keep in contact with friends and family in many parts of the world. Even when traveling all was needed was a prepaid plan/sim that has Blackberry data and presto BBM at no additional cost/unlimited. No need to worry about wifi or voice minutes. And specifically with BB no worry of poor quality or dropped calls.

At the moment I have a Social Networking Plan as opposed to full service plan and I save a lot per month and couldn't be happier. I welcome RIM's decision to tier fees. It provides consumers choice and shows that RIM wants to fight for the consumer market. Not just in hardware, but in services as well.
    12-21-12 01:07 PM
    RIM is trying to regain marketshare. Pretend you're a consumer who's not in the RIM ecosystem. Why in the world would you pay extra for these services that you've managed to live without all these years? When doing household budgeting, cell phone bills are among the most scrutinized item and consumers will cut out any fat in there.
    12-21-12 01:51 PM
    BBM money service in Indonesia, does anyone know how much is the fee to transfer money?
    Also, when will RIM launch BBM money for North America? Every time I send money home, it costs me over 30 dollars.
    12-21-12 03:46 PM
    ....You can normally go from 100MB to 500MB for $5/mo and you can go to >1GB for another $5....
    Really? Where? I pay AT&T $15/month for 200MB (which is now obsolete plan) that I have never come close to exceeding unless running Slacker a lot. The minimum plan is currently 300MB for $20/mo. Then it jumps to 3GB for $30/mo.
    12-21-12 04:24 PM
    down and think of several ways for RIM to build an ecosystem beyond apps, music and video, I am quite sure that they are smarter people working at RIM that have thought of them also.
    Applications are the key ingredient that ties every company to an ecosystem.

However, it's a Catch-22. Developers only create applications on operating systems with a large installed customer base.
    To get a large installed customer base, you need lots of applications.

If RIM can figure out how to cut through this "issue", then they deserve to be the Innovator of the Century.
    12-21-12 07:49 PM
    Applications are the key ingredient that ties every company to an ecosystem.
    Add music to that. Many users who have built up their music libraries on iTunes will never leave Apple.

Hardware is also a factor. The various Apple devices, desktop, laptops, TV and mobile devices work together.

Don't underestimate the credit card factor. iTunes and Amazon make it very convenient to buy stuff since your information is already there.
    12-21-12 08:02 PM
    Most music from iTunes is DRM free for a long time now. Besides NOT having to use iTunes is a good idea for me, I can't stand that piece of garbage. The ads are nice though
    12-21-12 08:15 PM
    As a piece of software,yes iTunes is horrible. I have never used it as a media player, only as a storefront.

However as a storefront it is the envy of many. You can't argue against that kind of success. Advertising, discovery, and recommendation engine. And iTunes U, if you love learning.
    12-21-12 08:24 PM
    Isn't there a paid BBM Music service now? How many subscribers does it have?
    12-21-12 08:41 PM
    As a piece of software,yes iTunes is horrible. I have never used it as a media player, only as a storefront.

However as a storefront it is the envy of many. You can't argue against that kind of success. Advertising, discovery, and recommendation engine. And iTunes U, if you love learning.
    Thing is nothing you mention is specific to Apple/iTunes. If we get a BBM desktop we may see similar things.
    12-21-12 09:13 PM
    Thing is nothing you mention is specific to Apple/iTunes. If we get a BBM desktop we may see similar things.
    As some people did with Instagram, you're only considering what the software does but not the value add behind it.

Instagram is not a set of filters, it is a social network. iTunes is not just the software, it's about the partnerships behind the scenes. It has deals with the major record labels, movie labels, TV networks, book and magazine publishers, and even educational institutions. This is why the Apple ecosystem is unmatched. Amazon is also top tier. Google and Microsoft are playing catchup but but are nowhere close. And RIM for the foreseeable future isn't even playing in the same league.
    12-21-12 09:25 PM
    RIM has been offering teared service plans in Asia Pacific for years. BBM + Facebook being the minimum offering. Add a small data package after that. Very successful. + now they will introduce new services that they can up sell for one time or one months use or more. They know what their doing.
    spike12 likes this.
    12-21-12 09:53 PM
    right i think that is what they would do before making it ad based
    WTF is not ad supported? I get Pi$$ed everytime I try to watch youtube and have to close the ad obscuring the video. Go for it RIM
    12-21-12 10:41 PM
    For everyone wondering about service fees, understand that you aren't paying anything extra for BIS...your $30/mo plan will be a $30 plan regardless if you use a BB or iphone, etc. With BB the carriers just give a $2-5 cut to RIM. Don't expect to be paying less for data if you switch platforms.

I bet the consumer data plan will include everything you're getting right now, and consumers won't notice a thing. This is a carrier/RIM battle, not related to us.

Maybe the new service plans will be for data backup/cloud services...you know, like how Apple charges for iCloud?
    lanemaster12 likes this.
    12-21-12 11:01 PM
    I doubt RIM will charge for BBM directly (at least for the text-only version of BBM). As Chris U. mentioned, I don't think they know exactly how they're going to replace the BES/BIS revenue, but they know that the current position is indefensible. I suspect they'll try by:
    1. Charging for add-on BBM-related services (BBM money, music, etc.)
    2. Opening up NOC usage to partners (Timmy-T mentioned M2M for cars - that's a great idea, and highly likely)
    This. +1.

BBM money service in Indonesia, does anyone know how much is the fee to transfer money?
    Also, when will RIM launch BBM money for North America? Every time I send money home, it costs me over 30 dollars.
    I think service-fee from payment processing could EASILY eclipse monthly BIS/BES service fee. Imagine RIM getting few cents per transaction from millions of people using NFC-enabled BlackBerry to make purchases. It will add-up very quickly to a very large number.
    12-21-12 11:01 PM
    For everyone wondering about service fees, understand that you aren't paying anything extra for BIS...your $30/mo plan will be a $30 plan regardless if you use a BB or iphone, etc. With BB the carriers just give a $2-5 cut to RIM. Don't expect to be paying less for data if you switch platforms.

I bet the consumer data plan will include everything you're getting right now, and consumers won't notice a thing. This is a carrier/RIM battle, not related to us.

Maybe the new service plans will be for data backup/cloud services...you know, like how Apple charges for iCloud?
    Yeah, but that's not how it works in a large chunk of the world. Reality here is BB plans are necessary and either are extra $ or provide less data allowance.
    12-21-12 11:54 PM
    And why very few people are even not bothering to have a look at what RIM did in S.E.A markets with their BIS offerings?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-21-12 11:57 PM
    Remember when EVERYBODY used cash and cheques? Then this little card was bandied about as the alternative to cash. As it turns out, Interac is one of the largest cash flow companies and they generate cash flow by numbers of transactions. I believe that NFC will be the device equivilent to the chips in our bank cards today. It could replace the service fee structure as we know it.
    12-22-12 02:23 AM
    Why would iOS and android folks want to use BBM?
    Because I have contacts who are on BB and with whom I would want to communicate via BBM while on my SGIII.

I'm sure there are others who are in the same position.

Make it platform agnostic and it will kill WhatsApp, which I currently use.

(Edit. I should say I have *a* contact on BBM with whom I interact daily who won't use anything else. I keep my BB in my purse just for him now. My SGIII is now my primary device and I would love it if it had BBM)
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-22-12 at 06:09 AM.
    12-22-12 05:44 AM
    As some people did with Instagram, you're only considering what the software does but not the value add behind it.

Instagram is not a set of filters, it is a social network. iTunes is not just the software, it's about the partnerships behind the scenes. It has deals with the major record labels, movie labels, TV networks, book and magazine publishers, and even educational institutions. This is why the Apple ecosystem is unmatched. Amazon is also top tier. Google and Microsoft are playing catchup but but are nowhere close. And RIM for the foreseeable future isn't even playing in the same league.
    I totally agree with that. BUT it doesn't matter (to me at all) if I don't use it.
    12-22-12 06:06 AM
123 12345