Is it a mistake to focus so much on BlackBerry People? Why wouldn't they also try to get non-BlackBerry People too instead of making them seem like an afterthought or not as key a demographic target? After all, the CMO indicates that BlackBerry People make up 1/3 of the market so they considering 2/3 of the market to be an afterthought or not the main target.
    The main target should be anyone who wants a high end smartphone that can consume media, use social networks or is concerned with security, etc.
    12-18-12 12:54 PM
    They can't please everyone. RIM has its own strengths it should focus on. Why try and take a portion of the market already dominated by Samsung and Apple, especially when they're in the position they are in now? The market is so huge, having only a third of it would make RIM extremely profitable.
    12-18-12 01:03 PM
    The main target should be anyone who wants a high end smartphone that can consume media, use social networks or is concerned with security, etc.
    Yes, exactly. BlackBerry people.
    12-18-12 01:04 PM
    Please listen /carefully/ to the interview again. You'd be surprised what the definition of "BlackBerry People" are... "anyone who wants a high end smartphone that can consume media, use social networks or is concerned with security, etc." (in your words). That's the 1/3 of the market.

This strategy is only the beginning. RIM can't cater to everyone all at once. They have to manage limited resources.
    12-18-12 01:06 PM
    The genesis of the troubles facing Research In Motion today can be traced back to two underlying factors: ignoring their users' requests and trying to be all things to all people after dismissing users of that demographic (stupid consumers eager to buy shiny bobbles). Without the so-called "BlackBerry People" Research In Motion and BlackBerry would have already slipped into oblivion and been a footnote in a textbook.
    Anon_M_Lee likes this.
    12-18-12 01:14 PM
    picking the low hanging fruit is always better than banging your head against the wall.....
    12-18-12 01:18 PM
    Luv it when somebody actually listens. Bravo! He actually included the whole spectrum from professionals to his 18 y/o daughter, whom he mentioned was a heavy social user!
    Please listen /carefully/ to the interview again. You'd be surprised what the definition of "BlackBerry People" are... "anyone who wants a high end smartphone that can consume media, use social networks or is concerned with security, etc." (in your words). That's the 1/3 of the market.

This strategy is only the beginning. RIM can't cater to everyone all at once. They have to manage limited resources.
    12-18-12 01:21 PM
    The genesis of the troubles facing Research In Motion today can be traced back to two underlying factors: ignoring their users' requests
    +1 . Absolutely. Look at my signature!
    12-18-12 01:22 PM
    Well, I don't fit the description of someone who always wants to be connected and who wants to be involved in social media all of the time but I want a phone or tablet that consumes media well.
    So are they not trying to attract me and the hundreds of millions of people like me?
    It is silly, because you can get a much lower percentage of everyone and reach the same customer numbers as if you got 3Xs as many BlackBerry people.
    You can get 10% of everybody or 30% of BlackBerry type people to switch.
    What is more likely?
    12-18-12 01:31 PM
    I don't think there's any point in trying to "out-Apple Apple" at this point. Windows Phone has taken the entire-market approach - not a "phone for all of us", but a "phone for each of us". It doesn't work. Better that BlackBerry pick the "low hanging fruit" @silversun10. There are enough BlackBerry users and loyalists on other platforms that want a communication-centric device for RIM to make a go of it with BlackBerry 10. A third of the market is a perfectly reasonable target.
    12-18-12 01:32 PM
    I'm not sure who the Blackberry People are, but these are the Blackberry Boys:

spike12 likes this.
    12-18-12 01:34 PM
    ...his 18 y/o daughter...
    Pictures or it didn't happen (or exist in the case of a reference to his 18 year old daughter).
    12-18-12 01:40 PM
    Well, I don't fit the description of someone who always wants to be connected and who wants to be involved in social media all of the time but I want a phone or tablet that consumes media well.
    So are they not trying to attract me and the hundreds of millions of people like me?
    They are most certainly catering to you as well. They updated App World into Blackberry World, integrating media into what was once just an app store. You'll be able to consume media more easily. There's an HDMI out on the phone and the possibility of DLNA. Content-wise, I'm sure they'd love to have iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, etc. purchases available too, but that's not under their control.
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-18-12 01:46 PM
    Is it a mistake to focus so much on BlackBerry People? Why wouldn't they also try to get non-BlackBerry People too instead of making them seem like an afterthought or not as key a demographic target? After all, the CMO indicates that BlackBerry People make up 1/3 of the market so they considering 2/3 of the market to be an afterthought or not the main target.
    BB had a reputation, built on excellence in communication and security. "BlackBerry People" are the people who valued, or value, those things. In many markets, a lot of BlackBerry People left the BB platform. Now why do you suppose they did that? It has something to do with BB not being competitive in things other than communication and security. That was RIM's mistake. To get those people back is to convince them that BB10 will offer it all: the excellence in communication and security that they expect from BB and the apps, media capabilities, and modern interface that lured them away from BB in the first place. So anything they can do to lure BlackBerry People back is also going to be attractive to those who never were BlackBerry People.
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-18-12 01:56 PM
    like me
    12-18-12 01:56 PM
    Luv it when somebody actually listens. Bravo! He actually included the whole spectrum from professionals to his 18 y/o daughter, whom he mentioned was a heavy social user!
    12-18-12 01:58 PM
    TomJasper likes this.
    12-18-12 02:01 PM
    Get real,lol. The whole interview is on the main Crackberry.com page. I have no idea why the OP didn't post there BTW. Go listen to the interview, it's actually very good.
    Pictures or it didn't happen (or exist in the case of a reference to his 18 year old daughter).
    12-18-12 02:08 PM
    Given that RIM does not have the Microsoft/Apple/Samsung advertising budget, they have to be very careful with their ad dollars. Targeting "BlackBerry People" means that they are targeting a specific group that they know enough about that they can tailor their advertising to better appeal to them. With a January launch, they will have the stage to fully present the new PLATFORM to the media who will not be in a rush to go to another competitor's event or reserve judgement about it until Apple/Samsung releases something later that week.
    12-18-12 02:24 PM
    Given that RIM does not have the Microsoft/Apple/Samsung advertising budget, they have to be very careful with their ad dollars. Targeting "BlackBerry People" means that they are targeting a specific group that they know enough about that they can tailor their advertising to better appeal to them. With a January launch, they will have the stage to fully present the new PLATFORM to the media who will not be in a rush to go to another competitor's event or reserve judgement about it until Apple/Samsung releases something later that week.
    it's true. it's impossible to reach such a broad target market unless you have deep deep pockets and even then you may not get the ROI from that.

you must focus on your target market which is what they define as BlackBerry People. the peiple who fit the criteria for qho they are marketing the BB10 devices to.

you see the problem with windows phone 8 is that they don't or have not focused on a main target segment, rather focusing on a huge broad target market. that's why their commercials have been quite good because it's hard to decide who hey are marketing the product to.

BlackBerry People are the way to go. at first, they can focus their marketing dollars to a more defined group. they can focus on building awareness and educating the BlackBerry People about the benefits of BB10. then afterwards they can include additional target markets.

Frank Boulben gets it. He's good. You will see the rebirth of BlackBerry in 2013!
    12-18-12 02:44 PM
    100% agree.
    12-18-12 02:51 PM