~Patents

Nortel Networks' Subsidiary Completes Sale of Patents And Patent Applications To A Consortium Which Include Research In Motion Limited
    Nortel Networks announced that it, its subsidiary Nortel Networks Limited (NNL), and certain of its other subsidiaries, including Nortel Networks Inc. and Nortel Networks UK Limited (in administration), have completed the sale of all of Nortel's remaining patents and patent applications to a consortium consisting of Apple Inc, EMC, Ericsson, Microsoft, Research In Motion Limited and Sony, for a cash purchase price of USD4.5 billion. As previously announced, the sale includes more than 6,000 patents and patent applications spanning wireless, wireless 4G, data networking, optical, voice, internet, service provider, semiconductors and other patents. The extensive patent portfolio touches nearly every aspect of telecommunications and additional markets as well, including Internet search and social networking.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- InterDigital Inc. IDCC shares rose 15% on hopes that a hefty price for Nortel Networks Corp.'s NRTLQ patents could drive up the value of the intellectual property of other wireless industry developers. Research In Motion RIMM, Apple AAPL and other technology firms agreed to pay five times Google's GOOG initial $900 million bid for the Nortel's telecommunications technology patents. InterDigital develops wireless technology for mobile devices. "A lot of people are taking a fresh look at the value of intellectual property in the wireless industry," InterDigital spokesperson Janet Point said. "It was important for the winning bidders to not only have access to key wireless technologies, but also to make sure other companies didn't access them first," she said. Companies such as Qualcomm [s:qcom] and InterDigital could gain from increasing prices for intellectual property, because they have developed the technology for years, Point added.
    08-01-11 12:30 PM
    Those patents are about to expire.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 01:01 PM
    Those patents are about to expire.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ya, just like drug patents
    08-01-11 02:09 PM
    Isn't there a thread about this?
    08-01-11 02:48 PM
    I don't get what the point of this thread is. When the auction was over weeks ago, threads were already started as well as on other tech sites. Is there supposed to be something new?

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...tfolio-626965/

UPDATE: I forgot newbies don't like to use search
    Last edited by scorpiodsu; 08-01-11 at 04:28 PM.
    08-01-11 04:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD