Some analyst thinks RIM had an underwhelming booth at WMC, and some other analyst thinks there will be soft sales this quarter. I don't see these things as big news, but the media sure likes to comment on it.

Here's a quote from the Globe and Mail today (March 5):

"Furthermore, given that RIM did not launch any new smartphones at the Mobile World Congress (MWC) last month, Android- and Windows-powered smartphones are catching up on the attractive features of the BlackBerry devices, he added."

Unless I missed something, Apple didn't release any new phones either. Am I right on that? So why did RIM get mentioned. One thing I think RIM should do is STOP putting out so many different kinds of phones. Stick with two or three. I get lost with all the numbers. If they did release a new phone at WMC, it would have been the new 9352, or some other crazy number. And no one would notice..

ALSO, a nice back handed compliment "catching up to the attractive features of the Blackberry devices".

Still no media coverage of the iPhone security problems. Oh ya, no one cares.. Go Apple. Bash RIM.

When does that Marketing guy get hired at RIM? Can't be soon enough.
    J
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    03-05-12 01:10 PM
    I'm not that kind usually ...
    But it's time to blow some warm, can't wait fall and leave the scene 100% to others.
    03-05-12 01:20 PM
    Unless I missed something, Apple didn't release any new phones either. Am I right on that? So why did RIM get mentioned. One thing I think RIM should do is STOP putting out so many different kinds of phones. Stick with two or three. I get lost with all the numbers. If they did release a new phone at WMC, it would have been the new 9352, or some other crazy number. And no one would notice..

Still no media coverage of the iPhone security problems. Oh ya, no one cares.. Go Apple. Bash RIM.

Apple releases one iPhone a year, RIM doesn't. Apple also holds their own events to announce things. No one expected to hear anything from Apple at MWC. The iPad event is also very soon.

Apple iPhone 4S is selling extremely well, BB shipments are on the decline. Apple shipped over 30 million iPhones last quarter. RIM shipped less than half that. Apple's iPhone has competitive specs to other high end devices on the market. BlackBerrys do not.

It is pretty obvious why they would pick on RIM and not Apple. RIM use to be a market leader and now they aren't.

Also, there is media coverage of iPhone security problems, maybe you are just choosing to ignore it.

New York Times reports iPhone security issue - New Mexico Business Weekly
    New iPhone security issue: Apps could copy photo libraries
    IPhone Security Issues: Apple Vows To Patch 'Critical' Software Flaw
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...iYFyrzhn78dZTw

An for the rest...

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...w=1466&bih=692

BB10 will hopefully change the negative coverage. RIM just needs to make it happen.

Also, please do not consider this a bashing post, I enjoy RIM products and hope RIM succeeds in the future. The more competition the better, and I want a BB10 device. Been waiting a few years for it.
    Last edited by avt123; 03-05-12 at 01:34 PM.
    03-05-12 01:32 PM
    The irony to all this is the media and analyst were saying the same thing about apple..... In 2007
    bitek likes this.
    03-05-12 01:35 PM
    Apple did not release a product at WMC - but they didnt have a booth. Therefore they didnt show an empty hand. But keep in mind they are announcing ipad3 this week.....

Going to WMC without having something new to show and brag about is just dumb. Reporters are there for a reason.
    03-05-12 02:16 PM

I get lost with all the numbers. If they did release a new phone at WMC, it would have been the new 9352, or some other crazy number. And no one would notice..
    The one thing I agree with here is that(not using a BB phone) is that all those numbers are confusing as h*ll.

I know that some differentiate bwtweens carriers but I wasn't under the impression that most consumers noticed things like that. The Bold should just be the THE BOLD. Let the carriers be concerned with whether it's CDMA or not.

I have an HTC EVO that I have to reboot everyday... My old Palms were so much better.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 03-05-12 at 03:12 PM.
    03-05-12 02:49 PM
    Unless I missed something, Apple didn't release any new phones either. Am I right on that? So why did RIM get mentioned.
    There is a vast conspiracy of entities works against RIM, helmed by Apple and inclusive of the entire media, financial analysts and even shareholders. For whatever reason, Apple has elected not to deploy this same conspiratorial machine against Android, even as its Android that is numerically competitive with Apple. It's also completely coincidental that all of the negative RIM coverage is mirrored by RIM's declining financial results, specifically profit, market share and quarterly unit sales.
    03-05-12 03:06 PM
    It has always been a common practice to kick someone when they are down.
    I have confidence in RIM's products and will continue to buy them no matter who says what about them. As long as I like them-I will use and support them.
    03-05-12 03:20 PM
    If RIM is so irrelevant, why the even report on them anymore.

Oh wait, the horse is dead...lets kick it again...

The amount of negative stuff that gets released (by everyone and their brother/sister) is just a giant waste of time. I get that people are doing there jobs and such. Its also easier to report on a death spiral and look like you know what your talking about, but unfortunately for RIM its adding to the fire of perception.

RIM is:

1. DOA
    2. Doesn't make products anymore
    3. Losing customers left and right
    4. Out of business
    5. Old/tired cant compete
    6. Whatever you want to add.....

Expect a LOTTTTTT more negative commentary prior to March 29th. It will be a long month for RIM. God help them if they miss there numbers too.
    03-05-12 03:36 PM
    lol conspiracy theories
    He's being sarcastic.
    03-05-12 03:42 PM
    Those articles do serve a purpose to investors. They really serve no real purpose on these forums. However, articles of that type do indeed belong on stock/investing forums.
    03-05-12 03:47 PM
    Unless I missed something, Apple didn't release any new phones either. Am I right on that?
    Apple has never participated in any shared worldwide events. Their Modus Operandi has always been to separate themselves from the rest of the world. They don't need it, won't ever bother, and don't care. They're the exception that proves the rule.

[edit]However, in my humble opinion... they're killing that philosophy with their strong participation in litigation in recent years. Which I think will produce more harm than good for them. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 03-05-12 at 04:07 PM.
    03-05-12 04:04 PM
    If RIM is so irrelevant, why the even report on them anymore.

Oh wait, the horse is dead...lets kick it again...

The amount of negative stuff that gets released (by everyone and their brother/sister) is just a giant waste of time. I get that people are doing there jobs and such. Its also easier to report on a death spiral and look like you know what your talking about, but unfortunately for RIM its adding to the fire of perception.

RIM is:

1. DOA
    2. Doesn't make products anymore
    3. Losing customers left and right
    4. Out of business
    5. Old/tired cant compete
    6. Whatever you want to add.....

Expect a LOTTTTTT more negative commentary prior to March 29th. It will be a long month for RIM. God help them if they miss there numbers too.
    According to some speculative reports. They already believe RIM will announce negative earning.

Analyst cuts RIM price target on earnings, sales worries - The Globe and Mail
    03-05-12 04:15 PM
    Absolutely a conspiracy. People ignored Enron too. Too much careful repeating of all bad news and opinions that become facts as "anal.yst said...". Meanwhile any positive stories are peeps that are quickly buried.
    Smart remarks and sarcasm only serve to support the conspiracy. Meanwhile the trashing in the media continues unabated.
    03-05-12 04:52 PM
    They showed some excellent exciting demos

IMO, as important as showing new hardware
    03-05-12 07:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD