Well its official and the seciond guessing about kernal or carrier installed is put to rest.

RIM says Carrier IQ software not for BlackBerry - Yahoo! News

..TORONTO (Reuters) - Research In Motion does not install nor authorize its carrier partners to install "Carrier IQ" monitoring software on its BlackBerry smartphones, the company said on Thursday.

RIM made the statement after a security researcher said the "Carrier IQ" application, which can monitor what device users are doing, has been installed on mobile devices from multiple vendors without the knowledge or consent of customers.

Trevor Eckhart, the researcher who demonstrated in online videos how the software works, focused on devices using Google's Android operating system, but he also mentioned other operating systems, including RIM's BlackBerry and the Nokia system as having the software installed.

"RIM does not pre-install the Carrier IQ app on BlackBerry smartphones or authorize its carrier partners to install the Carrier IQ app before sales or distribution," RIM said.

"RIM also did not develop or commission the development of the Carrier IQ application, and has no involvement in the testing, promotion, or distribution of the app."

In a statement posted to its website last month, Carrier IQ said its software is used by network operators to help improve network quality and troubleshoot device problems.

"While we look at many aspects of a device's performance, we are counting and summarizing performance, not recording keystrokes, or providing tracking tools," the Mountain View, California-based company said.

(Reporting by Alastair Sharp; editing by Peter Galloway)
    12-01-11 01:11 PM
    Also, Verizon is stating that NONE of it's phones had Carrier IQ installed - Verizon denies Carrier IQ is on any of its phones | The Verge and now Congress is demanding answers from Carrier IQ on the data they're collecting Sen. Franken asks Carrier IQ for answers - Post Tech - The Washington Post. I have a feeling this issue will disappear soon when Carrier IQ closes its doors.
    12-01-11 02:45 PM
    12-01-11 02:53 PM
    RIM doesn't authorize it, but that still doesn't necessarily mean that the carrier didn't install it.
    12-01-11 04:42 PM
    Could be part of their bloatware. I checked for it on mine. Not a trace. I didn't think it would have been installed. Ya never know though.
    12-01-11 04:44 PM
    Good for RIM, bad for Apple.

Apple: Carrier IQ still on iPhone 4, but we don't read your e-mail and texts

"But we were a bit curious about what "most of our products" means in that context. In response to our question, Apple tells us there is only one device running iOS 5 that still runs Carrier IQ, and it's the iPhone 4." -arstechnica.com

"Only one device" ? There was a lot of non 'S' iphone 4s out there last time I checked.

Thank You RIM for not loading illegal crap like this on our phones. Other companies really have no shame sometimes. It boggles my mind.
    Last edited by Jake2826; 12-01-11 at 05:15 PM.
    12-01-11 04:59 PM
    Good for RIM, bad for Apple.

Apple: Carrier IQ still on iPhone 4, but we don't read your e-mail and texts

"But we were a bit curious about what "most of our products" means in that context. In response to our question, Apple tells us there is only one device running iOS 5 that still runs Carrier IQ, and it's the iPhone 4." -arstechnica.com

"Only one device" ? There was a lot of non 'S' iphone 4s out there last time I checked.

Thank You RIM for not loading illegal crap like this on our phones. Other companies really have no shame sometimes. It boggles my mind.
    The iPhone 4 is one device. What is hard to understand about that?

It doesn't mean one iPhone 4 period.
    12-01-11 05:45 PM
    Could be part of their bloatware. I checked for it on mine. Not a trace. I didn't think it would have been installed. Ya never know though.
    It's supposed to be invisible to the end user. How did you check for its presence?
    12-01-11 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD