Is it me or is RIM still backwards? Why spend 100 Million for OS7 when BB10 is not far behind?... Most regular people will pick up a BlackBerry due to this advertising then get rid of it because they don't like it, Then when BB10 comes along that same user will say I jus tried BB and it sucks NOT knowing that it is now 2 diff operating systems. A LOT of people do not even know what BB10 is and are not on top of current info. RIM is confusing people, I say RIM save your money and Blow it all on BB10
    05-07-12 04:51 PM
    The real question is when BB10 will be release? There is no evidence that it will be released anytime soon.RIM keeps saying they want to get it right and not rush the launch. I just hope its a success and its out before the end of the year. I am thinking a holiday release.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    shemaree09 likes this.
    05-07-12 04:57 PM
    RIM still needs sales and income for probably 7 months before we even get a confirmed month of OS 10 release IMO. They dont have debt but they dont have endless amount of cash AT ALL either. OS 7 will also be the only keyboard option for a couple months after the first BB10 phone release probably.
    05-07-12 05:02 PM
    RIM should go media dark for a while. They really have nothing to say, and every time they do say something, it turns out disastrously. Let people forget about RIM for a few months, then come back strong when you have something to say.
    05-07-12 05:13 PM
    The real question is when BB10 will be release? There is no evidence that it will be released anytime soon.RIM keeps saying they want to get it right and not rush the launch. I just hope its a success and its out before the end of the year. I am thinking a holiday release.

How can you say 'no evidence' when RIM has consistently said it's coming in calendar Q4?
    05-07-12 05:14 PM
    Is it me or is RIM still backwards? Why spend 100 Million for OS7 when BB10 is not far behind?... Most regular people will pick up a BlackBerry due to this advertising then get rid of it because they don't like it, Then when BB10 comes along that same user will say I jus tried BB and it sucks NOT knowing that it is now 2 diff operating systems. A LOT of people do not even know what BB10 is and are not on top of current info. RIM is confusing people, I say RIM save your money and Blow it all on BB10
    OS7 phones will continue to be sold for the foreseeable future, even after BB10 is rolled out. And RIM needs something to sell in the meantime anyway.
    05-07-12 05:16 PM

I'd have to agree with a holiday release.
    Sales always skyrocket around the holidays. They'd get a lot of em.
    05-07-12 05:20 PM
    Remember, the other OS's also have big plans for the holiday season so no matter how good BB10 is, the other will more than likely improve with it.and they have shown that they are much better at
    advertising and actually delivering
    05-07-12 05:25 PM
    I think they should just advertise the playbook for now till the bb10 phone roll out.
    Stewartj1 and shemaree09 like this.
    05-07-12 05:27 PM
    RIM should go media dark for a while. They really have nothing to say, and every time they do say something, it turns out disastrously. Let people forget about RIM for a few months, then come back strong when you have something to say.
    "Media dark" is probably one of RIMM's worst possible options because:

1) Publicity, even bad publicity, keeps the company top of mind.

2) Although no matter what RIMM does there are people, analysts, bloggers etc... that will nitpick
    the h3ll out of anything they say. RIMM could literally find the cure for cancer and there are some
    who will cry that it took too long and cost too many lives. These people need to be ignored.

3) Some of their recent adverts, especially television, have been very good and a h3ll of a lot
    more focused than some of their earlier (remember the Youtube debacles) efforts. Spend that
    100 million on that.

4) To go with point #3, there really has been no effort on the part of RIMM to tout the features of
    OS7. It may be too late to change the sales trajectory for those devices but considering OS10 is
    a ways away they really should.

5) Media dark allows every other player to eclipse RIMM. When they "have something to say" no one
    may care.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 05-07-12 at 05:48 PM.
    05-07-12 05:45 PM
    RIM still needs sales and income for probably 7 months before we even get a confirmed month of OS 10 release IMO. They dont have debt but they dont have endless amount of cash AT ALL either. OS 7 will also be the only keyboard option for a couple months after the first BB10 phone release probably.
    Besides this (even though we don't know for sure what the timetable is for QWERTY BB10 phones), anything RIM does for advertising even now is going to help to build brand awareness ... depending of course on how effective this advertising will be. So far I'd have to say they have not gotten their money's worth in that regard. Nonetheless, even with the drop of BB10 looming, you don't just pull the plug on your current revenue stream. Apple doesn't even do that, and you can almost set your clock by their iPhone upgrades.
    05-07-12 05:45 PM
    Yeah I agree they didn't get their moneys worth on the advertising.
    One thing though in Nov,Dec everyone and I mean everyone on this forum
    was complaining that RIM doesn't advertise enough.
    They listened to us and Advertised and now we complain.
    tjseaman likes this.
    05-07-12 06:18 PM
    Couldn't disagree more. Good or bad media keeps you relevant. Fade to black and you may not be able to come back. You leave for 7 months or more and people will forget and not be interested in your come back as they figured you already died, while staying in the media keeps and generates interest. Even though the media has been harsh on RIM they are still talking about them and that makes them currently relevant which is still good for the company. Besides you don't want your current or potentially new customers think you've thrown in the towel.
    05-07-12 07:27 PM
    Yes and no. Remember just recently Chrysler went dark for months as it rebuilt from the ground up. Then they did that huge presentation, then went dark again. Now they are back and making huge gains with only refreshes and the LX cars. It could work for RIM especially since RIM has more resources than Chrysler and more in terms of future product.
    05-07-12 08:59 PM
    Some of you seem to be under the false notion that there is no such thing as bad press. Here is another aphorism you might want to try: You never get a second chance to make a first impression. RIM is branding themselves out of relevancy. They are becoming known as the new Palm: haplessly, clownishly muddling through their last days as a company.

Once people start thinking of you as a joke, it is almost impossible to be taken seriously again. Having them forget about you for a while is a lot better than confirming, daily, your utter cluelessness.

Branding is more than just name recognition; it is about positive association. You have all heard it said that practice makes perfect. That is another falsehood. Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect. Practice a thing in the wrong way, and that is what you will live with.

Branding is only good if it creates a positive association. Tie your brand to a negative association, and you are out of business. In this case, it is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. RIM's brand has become, almost, inextricably linked to negativity and cluelessness. They do not have a cohesive message, and they are actively turning people off with their tone-deaf attempts. Media dark may be bad, but tone-deaf, inept attempts at advertising just for the sake of being talked about, is even worse.
    Yaceka and Premium1 like this.
    05-07-12 10:34 PM
    OS7 will still be in emerging markets for a while to come.
    05-07-12 10:37 PM
    I still haven't seen an ad in over a month.
    05-07-12 10:42 PM
    They just need better ads. They don't talk about anything that the BOld can do. They should be advertising the out of that NFC tag feature and BBM Music. I love my bold and BBM Music is slick.
    05-08-12 12:43 AM
    I'd have to agree with a holiday release.
    Sales always skyrocket around the holidays. They'd get a lot of em.
    Reality says a significant number of contracts come up for renewal between July and September especially for students but equally so on a statistical basis for all smartphone users. Therefore, the crucial "back-to-school" sales period presumably should be the target release period. However, as Research In Motion is always late to the party I expect to see the first consumer BB10 smartphone very late in 2012 maybe not until early 2013. Bad news if it comes to fruition.

Thor, tell your product development team to deliver by August 2012 or they are terminated.
    05-08-12 12:55 AM
    They should use that money to go after app developers. Honesty pay Skype and Kindle developers to transfer to blackberry and playbook! They need big names to show consumers there is faith in RIM OS. Even if the app developers don't have real faith, money will convince them to support it.

I dislike bbm music on my 9900, it lags, it is boring, most importantly none of my friends want to use it. I'll use youtube to check out new music. Key point, RIM should make BBM music a default app in every update. It will convince people to at least check it out. BBM music is made for interaction but there is no hype about it.
    Last edited by ahu89; 05-08-12 at 01:53 AM.
    05-08-12 01:51 AM
    without ecosystem of the operating system,BB must be eliminated
    Google marketing budget on andriod countless.They are not sucker。
    05-08-12 03:35 AM
    Yes and no. Remember just recently Chrysler went dark for months as it rebuilt from the ground up. Then they did that huge presentation, then went dark again. Now they are back and making huge gains with only refreshes and the LX cars. It could work for RIM especially since RIM has more resources than Chrysler and more in terms of future product.
    I'd say it's a lot harder with smart phones and technology in general. As it changes so fast and people are so fickle for the flavor of the week and what has the best specs and what's coming up next. So keeping brand awareness is very important.
    05-08-12 05:35 AM
    Oh I'm not complaining about too much advertising. If anything, it still isn't enough ... nor has it been very effective. They could very well knock one out of the park with BB10 and still flop because they can't effectively communicate what they've done to prospective buyers. Which is why the selection of their next CMO will be the second biggest decision they will make this year (the first being Mr. Heins).
    05-08-12 07:34 AM
    They should be making fun of themselves in a round about way while saying no longer at the same time. This isn't your grandfather's RIM, we're stepping it up.
    05-08-12 07:50 AM
    Advertising is ALWAYS a GOOD idea. Contrary to popular belief there is a world outside of Crackberry where people don't buy phones every six months. OS 7 is and will be a significant upgrade for a lot of "normal" consumers and will be around for awhile. To ask or suggest why is RIM spending on advertising OS 7, and thinking it's not worth it, is not looking at the real world which is still growing in most regions. BB10 will get its chance in the "spotlight", but it's still a work in progress where as BBOS is a proven platform. Keep in mind, a company doesn't open up "mega" stores in countries that the product is not successful.....also keep mind ...there's more to earth than US, UK and Canada
    05-08-12 08:08 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD