RIM sitting on 800,000 PlayBooks, report says
    Roger Cheng, CNET News on September 22nd, 2011 (12 hours ago)

Research In Motion has a backlog of roughly 800,000 PlayBooks, The Guardian reported.

Citing an analyst from Fubon Securities, the U.K. publication reported today that RIM's supplier, Quanta Computer, had shipped 1.5 million PlayBooks to RIM in the first half. But RIM has only shipped 700,000 Playbooks--including 200,000 from the past quarter--to its retail partners.

The massive stockpile at RIM is another illustration of the struggles the BlackBerry-maker has faced in selling the tablet. It also adds a wrinkle to how the company plans to reduce the inventory. RIM has acknowledged that its retail partners are already sitting on unsold PlayBooks at their stores and has already shown willingness to cut its prices to spur sales.

During a quarterly earnings conference call last week, co-chief executive Mike Lazaridis said the company will start several programs to drive sales, including an incentive program for businesses, as well as rebates and deals for existing BlackBerry customers. Lazaridis didn't spell out how much of a discount the company will be offering.

Discounts have already been popping up. though. Staples began cutting the price earlier in the month, going as low as US$449 for the 16GB version.

When Hewlett-Packard opted to scrap its WebOS business this summer, it decided to sell its TouchPad for US$99, a move that sparked huge demand for the tablet. It is unlikely, however, that RIM will offer such deep discounts since it has long-term plans for the tablet business.

RIM declined to comment directly to the inventory number, but reiterated its confidence in the PlayBook.

"We strongly believe that the tablet market is still in its infancy and we remain committed to the BlackBerry PlayBook and the QNX OS," a company representative said in a statement e-mailed to ZDNet Asia's sister site, CNET.

The Guardian report was spurred by a story by Taiwanese trade paper DigiTimes, which reported that Quanta was cutting its staff by nearly a third in northern Taiwan to less than 2,000. Fubon Securities analyst Arthur Liao told the Guardian that Quanta's Taiwan factory specifically focused on RIM production.

The PlayBook couldn't have gotten off to a worse start. The product launched without its own access to e-mail, contacts, and calendar and relied on a BlackBerry to act as a "bridge", a decision that elicited a lot of criticism. RIM's claim that carriers would sell the device irked its traditionally strong partners, and AT&T and Verizon Wireless backed away from the PlayBook. Sprint Nextel recently scrapped plans for a WiMax PlayBook.

Still, Lazaridis expressed hope last week that sales will pick up. Beyond the price cuts, he pointed to the 2.0 version of the PlayBook software, which would include its own e-mail, calendar, and contacts function, as well as access to Android apps, as another catalyst.

URL:RIM sitting on 800,000 PlayBooks, report says - ZDNet Asia News
    09-22-11 08:59 AM
    RIM has continually missed the boat and now is paying the price. They either don't listen or are unable to deliver. Or both.

Do they do market research before developing a product or do the co-CEO's just sit around and think up stuff they think would be cool?
    phonejunky likes this.
    09-22-11 09:09 AM
    09-22-11 09:10 AM
    It looks like we're gonna be seeing $100 PlayBooks at WalMart by Christmas.

As backup, here's a short article from Reuters explaining the Quanta problems and moves.

UPDATE 1-Quanta says Taiwan staff down as client orders fall
    09-22-11 09:19 AM
    This is the time for RIM to market themselves better or they will end up like palm did. I don't believe this will happen but the industry is very shaky and anything can happen in this poor economy.
    09-22-11 09:24 AM
    ... my bad... I checked posts in forums but not the front bumper...
    09-22-11 09:32 AM
    RIM has continually missed the boat and now is paying the price. They either don't listen or are unable to deliver. Or both.

Do they do market research before developing a product or do the co-CEO's just sit around and think up stuff they think would be cool?
    I'm thinking it's the "would be cool" part.
    Their loss, big time.

What's even more stupid is to access your mail you have to tether to the playbook.
    ABSOLUTE stupid move on their part, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.....(funeral music).
    09-22-11 09:34 AM
    I'm thinking it's the "would be cool" part.
    Their loss, big time.

What's even more stupid is to access your mail you have to tether to the playbook.
    ABSOLUTE stupid move on their part, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.....(funeral music).
    Not so dumb esp for corporation to let anyone use it that has a need. If apple would've thought of it they would be saying how great, innovative and magical it is. For petesake I don't have to have my email sitting on everything I own. I'm not important and neither is my email. I can get it on my phone and check it on the playbook thru the browser.

Now for everyone that feels they are so important or need their email on everything they own then yes, dumb.
    09-22-11 10:36 AM

Pretty sure they don't, actually. A friend of mine that works for RIM was actually there when they planned the Playbook, and he was kind enough to transcribe it for me...

"Mike, Apple just launched something called a tablet, what should we do?!?"
    "Dang! Some sort of big-screened device for emailing, eh? Brilliant!"
    "Eh, yeah that's what it is I guess..."
    "Well don't just sit there! Call the engineers and build something similar!"
    "Way ahead of you Mike! I already talked to one of our best guys. Remember Paul? You know, the guy who came up with SurePress? Well I briefed him, and he's cranking out some designs as we speak!"
    "Good, good... Now we just need to ad a feature that they didn't think of. Like I GOT IT! Add a keyboard to it! People will go nuts for an email-tablet with a KEYBOARD!"
    "Sure, but ehm, wouldn't that just be like a small laptop?"
    "Yeah, you got a point. How about Flash? People love Flash, no?"
    "That's it! We've done it again Mike! That's a winner right there! Heck, I feel so good about this new tablet-thingy I say we skip all the usual focus-group stuff and concentrate on getting it out on the market as soon as possible!"
    "Heh, you know what I always say... Two CEOs are twice as sharp as one! Tell you what, we can't afford to waste time on this one, just tell the team to get it out as soon as possible. Cut out a couple of features if it can save us a week or two. Like email! We can always send out an update with email once it's been out for a couple of weeks... Now I think a little celebration wouldn't be out of line, lets call it a day, and celebrate with some champagne and a little Celine Dion, eh?"
    Rickroller likes this.
    09-22-11 10:56 AM
    Pretty sure they don't, actually. A friend of mine that works for RIM was actually there when they planned the Playbook, and he was kind enough to transcribe it for me...

"Way ahead of you Mike! I already talked to one of our best guys. Remember Paul? You know, the guy who came up with SurePress? Well I briefed him, and he's cranking out some designs as we speak!"
    "Good, good... Now we just need to ad a feature that they didn't think of. Like I GOT IT! Add a keyboard to it! People will go nuts for an email-tablet with a KEYBOARD!"
    "That's it! We've done it again Mike! That's a winner right there! Heck, I feel so good about this new tablet-thingy I say we skip all the usual focus-group stuff and concentrate on getting it out on the market as soon as possible!"
    "Heh, you know what I always say... Two CEOs are twice as sharp as one! Tell you what, we can't afford to waste time on this one, just tell the team to get it out as soon as possible. Cut out a couple of features if it can save us a week or two. Like email! We can always send out an update with email once it's been out for a couple of weeks... Now I think a little celebration wouldn't be out of line, lets call it a day, and celebrate with some champagne and a little Celine Dion, eh?"
    The Playbook is officially the laughing stock of tablets. By the way where is the home button on that damn thing?
    09-22-11 11:37 AM
    Not so dumb esp for corporation to let anyone use it that has a need. If apple would've thought of it they would be saying how great, innovative and magical it is. For petesake I don't have to have my email sitting on everything I own. I'm not important and neither is my email. I can get it on my phone and check it on the playbook thru the browser.

Now for everyone that feels they are so important or need their email on everything they own then yes, dumb.
    I think the Bridge was brilliant. What was dumb - really really overwhelmingly dumb - was relying on it exclusively. Native email/contacts/calendar is table stakes. Basic functionality you need to play.

But imagine if the Playbook had launched with both the Bridge AND native email/contacts/calendaring? THEN you would have heard the words "great, innovative and magical" applied to it.

RIM just doesn't get they need to deliver equivalent functionality as table stakes, THEN ADD ON on differentiators. Like with the new Bold only having a fixed focus camera - huh???

- R.
    scorpiodsu and kbz1960 like this.
    09-22-11 12:03 PM

Well you can say what you want of their reasoning, but the people have spoken and they're rejecting the Playbook. The customer is always right - and no native e-mail on the Playbook was a mistake. Losing money on a product that just can't sell - that's actually dumb.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    09-22-11 12:07 PM

On the contrary, if Apple would have done this, you'd probably be leading revolution on how stupid it is for them to not have email. But since it's RIM it's ok to you. But I'm sure you may have been one of those who probably made fun of the iPhone not having copy and paste or MMS. And in my opinion that was silly for Apple to not have those things. But it was ALSO silly for RIM to release this type of device without email.
    09-22-11 12:12 PM
    I think the Bridge was brilliant. What was dumb - really really overwhelmingly dumb - was relying on it exclusively. Native email/contacts/calendar is table stakes. Basic functionality you need to play.

But imagine if the Playbook had launched with both the Bridge AND native email/contacts/calendaring? THEN you would have heard the words "great, innovative and magical" applied to it.

RIM just doesn't get they need to deliver equivalent functionality as table stakes, THEN ADD ON on differentiators. Like with the new Bold only having a fixed focus camera - huh???

- R.
    Exactly. Having the bridge and the ONLY way to get those thing was the dumb part. And assuming many people with a blackberry would get one was silly. Relied to much on their current customer base which probably explains why they were ok with just the bridge. But the fact of the matter is the same people that despise the iPhone and love their blackberry don't necessarily want a playbook or wouldn't get an iPad or any other tablet for that matter. RIM just played it all wrong. Like many have said, they should have only been worrying about getting out a QNX phone and not an alpha tablet.
    09-22-11 12:15 PM
    ... Like many have said, they should have only been worrying about getting out a QNX phone and not an alpha tablet.
    Or if they'd simply delayed releasing the Playbook until they had both Bridge and native email it would have meant a launch this fall with a complete product that included a serious differentiator.

I don't think that would have been too late at all if the market is really in its infancy, as Lazaridis has stated RIM believes.

If they'd waited until October they would have maintained a whole lot more credibility and made a TON more $.

- R.
    09-22-11 12:42 PM
    So I knew Sprint passed on a WiMax Playbook, but ATT and VZW passed on network connected models too?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-11 12:54 PM
    Well you can say what you want of their reasoning, but the people have spoken and they're rejecting the Playbook. The customer is always right - and no native e-mail on the Playbook was a mistake. Losing money on a product that just can't sell - that's actually dumb.
    Oh I agree. But I still think that bridge is great. I was pointing out more that if apple came out with the bridge it would be talked about in a lot of the reviews you don't see much about the bridge.
    09-22-11 01:53 PM
    They knoced $100 off the pb aleady
    We shall see the firesale one day

09-22-11 01:58 PM
    It looks like we're gonna be seeing $100 PlayBooks at WalMart by Christmas.

As backup, here's a short article from Reuters explaining the Quanta problems and moves.

UPDATE 1-Quanta says Taiwan staff down as client orders fall
    I would love to have one...

09-22-11 02:18 PM
    It's interesting because when others in the PB forum brought up how cheap playbooks were selling for via eBay and craigslist and stuff they immediately pointed out the price of the original iPad to justify the steep drop in price. Honestly, those place are indicators what a device is going for in unless the seller just really needs the money mad. But in most cases when people sell second hand especially on places like eBay, they don't go too much lower than current listing and other places you can get the same device, all things being equal. Only time you see Apple drop the price on their device is when they are about to roll out the new one. And you'd pay nearly as much for it new even when it's a couple months old. Not saying it's right, but it's obvious what people think about the playbook and it's value.
    09-22-11 04:57 PM
    Your piece is brilliant about RIM's debacle. RIM will have to sell PBs for $199 or less to clear inventory. If Mike L thinks PB 2.0 alone will drive sales, then he's more delusional then I thought.

09-22-11 08:21 PM

This is a hilarious post.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
    09-22-11 11:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD