The other interesting thing about developing countries is that because the development of communication technology started later, they usually get a bit of a head start when it comes to infrastructure. A good example is the telecommuncations sector which in some countries started developing cellular technology at a faster rate than land lines. Because of this reason it is much more common for people to have cell phones in those countries than land lines.. I once dated a girl from mauritius, a small island off the coast of africa and I was quite surprised how many people (including teens) had cell phones, although they were mostly lower model nokia's.
    That is very true.Since India didn't have much of a legacy infrastructure, it was easy to buy the latest tech from the west and implement it in India without the companies having to worry about breaking even on their old infrastructures.

Landlines are almost dead in India. At last count there were 869 million active mobile connections in India. That's an astonishing 80% of our population. Its gotten to a point where most people don't answer calls from a landline (including me) since most of them are from our infamous call centres trying to sell something.
    12-21-11 03:23 PM
    Yeah, imagine that... a company with a positive cash flow and still earning profits... and adding customers...

If you create enough bad press to drive a stock price down to a low level it certainly does make a bargain purchase for a company looking to buy them out.

There certainly seems to be intense bad press on them. Something is posted in the news almost daily. Considering all of the other companies in the world, RIM certainly is getting a large portion of the press attention considering the size of the company.
    12-21-11 04:11 PM
    That is very true.Since India didn't have much of a legacy infrastructure, it was easy to buy the latest tech from the west and implement it in India without the companies having to worry about breaking even on their old infrastructures.

Landlines are almost dead in India. At last count there were 869 million active mobile connections in India. That's an astonishing 80% of our population. Its gotten to a point where most people don't answer calls from a landline (including me) since most of them are from our infamous call centres trying to sell something.
    I don't answer my land line in case its my Masi asking why i'm not married yet. lol.
    12-21-11 04:30 PM
    I don't answer my land line in case its my Masi asking why i'm not married yet. lol.
    Haha, I had a friend who's parents were from Andhra Pradesh; she said her naani asked her constantly about when she was getting married and pregnant since she was 16.
    spike12 likes this.
    12-21-11 04:59 PM
    rim isn't going anywhere, except towards success

seriously, don't people understand the power of all the different puzzle pieces they've (rim) purchased during their acquisition spree, rim has a solid plan, i can totally see it, why can't everybody? because of lies, mostly lies

anyways, peace, rim rocks
    12-21-11 06:22 PM
    Turn it around with what? Speculation of products that won't hit the streets til 2013? And is this "successful" launch of an updated OS going to have people flocking from the streets to buy a PB? Are tech sites going to re-review the PB and update their initial opinions?
    I normally make it my practice to ignore trolls, but I'll take this one.

1) BB7 has been very well-received. With RIM's Q1 release date for BB10 I was concerned that BB7 would be kind of "orphaned", with only about a 6 month release window before an entirely new platform was introduced. Now, BB7 will reach a wider audience. For a great many reasons, this is a good thing for RIM, the developers who supply apps, and for customers; it means that BB7 will get a lot more support than it would have under the original plan.

2) I can only assume that RIM announced the delay on BB10 because they want to make sure it's done RIGHT from release date.

3) No question, the PlayBook was the marketing blunder of the year. I love it as a device, but I'll grant that it was released as an unfinished product and marketed poorly. I've been using the 2.0 Developer Preview, though, and I'm really pleased. The opportunity to quickly port Android apps will expand App World's catalog considerably.

RIM is in rough shape, absolutely, but they have some reasonable potential to recover.
    12-21-11 06:24 PM
    There are reasons Silicon Valley is synonymous with the tech industry and Waterloo isn't. I'm not going to argue that a move would solve RIM's problems, but let's not act as though Waterloo is Silicon Valley North.

"Wasn't doing as well as Apple"? This would have been a fair statement in 2008 and sooner, but it's been a huge understatement since 2009. (And to be fair, it's a standard that RIM can't really be expected to meet).

Don't act like you know
    12-21-11 10:29 PM
    rim isn't going anywhere, except towards success

seriously, don't people understand the power of all the different puzzle pieces they've (rim) purchased during their acquisition spree, rim has a solid plan, i can totally see it, why can't everybody? because of lies, mostly lies

anyways, peace, rim rocks
    and probably turned down the amazon thing for good reason - at least I HOPE they had a good reason.

Wait why did I come in here -- oh yeah Wow good news about RIM? What strange new world am I in?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-21-11 at 10:33 PM.
    12-21-11 10:30 PM
    Did they learn from their failure quickly? Did they learn from their failure at all? Did they cling stubbornly to their failure and lie to their customers and investors?

There is your answer.
    Failure isn't a failure, until it's a failure. Could they have done better? OH yeahhhh .
    Can people learn from mistakes and do better ? Oh yeahhhhh

Let him who has never failed at anything throw the first stone.....
    12-21-11 10:40 PM
    i am from india and travel a lot to singapore, indonesia. trust me guys u will need a blackberry out here an not an iphone. almost every one asks u for ur pin. and even in india bbs are outselling iphones. bbm is big here.
    12-22-11 03:23 AM
    If there is one feature that I don't ever want to do without it's BBM.

I can live without it, but I don't *want* to live without it! Now with loved ones across the pond.

And a certain gentleman who's turned my head recently....

But seriously, BBM is a very useful feature.
    12-22-11 03:35 AM
    In the last few days I had a couple of incidents that reminded me of the Blackberry efficency and on the other had might explain why BBs are very popular outside US and the answer could be we roam more then US people, not because we travel more but because a international border is never too far away.

Last sunday I went on a long distance delivery, 500 miles round trip, out of which 400 miles were roaming. Took 10 hours to go up and back. During this drive I used my 9900 to navigate using blackberry maps non stop and using the "update from here" feature quite often. As I have 25mb of daily roaming data with my contract I also listened to 30 minutes of Nobex Radio streaming but didn't want to push it more thinking that would probably use it all.

My surprise next day when I checked the roaming data used: "Roaming GPRS usage as of 20:17 18 Dec, total used 9.1 MB, total charge �0.00 ex VAT"

Now I don't know about you but I find that impressive.
    12-22-11 06:51 AM
    I normally make it my practice to ignore trolls, but I'll take this one.

1) BB7 has been very well-received. With RIM's Q1 release date for BB10 I was concerned that BB7 would be kind of "orphaned", with only about a 6 month release window before an entirely new platform was introduced. Now, BB7 will reach a wider audience. For a great many reasons, this is a good thing for RIM, the developers who supply apps, and for customers; it means that BB7 will get a lot more support than it would have under the original plan.

2) I can only assume that RIM announced the delay on BB10 because they want to make sure it's done RIGHT from release date.

3) No question, the PlayBook was the marketing blunder of the year. I love it as a device, but I'll grant that it was released as an unfinished product and marketed poorly. I've been using the 2.0 Developer Preview, though, and I'm really pleased. The opportunity to quickly port Android apps will expand App World's catalog considerably.

RIM is in rough shape, absolutely, but they have some reasonable potential to recover.
    Thanks for taking the opportunity to reply to my obvious troll As for your points:
    1) I disagree. Even though there will be a larger window for developers to develop, I think if they haven't yet started to develop..why would they bother now? They STILL know BB10 is the "future", thus may not feel the need to bother with OS7.

We still don't have any actual numbers as to how well BB7 has been "received", but other than the 9900 (which hardcore's have waited for for 3 years), I wouldn't call it anything overwhelming

2) If you've followed RIM as long as I have, you would mostly speculate that the delays arent for the benefit of you or me, but rather to do with RIM having issues with something.

3) I can agree with.

Now back on topic..didn't someone mention that this "gain" was in ad clicks or something?
    12-22-11 08:40 AM
    Thanks for taking the opportunity to reply to my obvious troll As for your points:
    1) I disagree. Even though there will be a larger window for developers to develop, I think if they haven't yet started to develop..why would they bother now? They STILL know BB10 is the "future", thus may not feel the need to bother with OS7.

We still don't have any actual numbers as to how well BB7 has been "received", but other than the 9900 (which hardcore's have waited for for 3 years), I wouldn't call it anything overwhelming

2) If you've followed RIM as long as I have, you would mostly speculate that the delays arent for the benefit of you or me, but rather to do with RIM having issues with something.

3) I can agree with.

Now back on topic..didn't someone mention that this "gain" was in ad clicks or something?
    First of all, did you even read the article! You would know if you did.
    Second, OS7 is not going away, it's here to stay as low end while BB10 will be high end.
    12-22-11 08:49 AM
    First of all, did you even read the article! You would know if you did.
    Second, OS7 is not going away, it's here to stay as low end while BB10 will be high end.
    Yes..I did read it..but maybe I missed it. Where does it say what the market share gain was..or where the market share gain was? All's I read was market share increase.

EDIT: Nvm..re-read it again. It's mobile ad impressions. Here's another link:
    http://www.extremetech.com/electroni...llennial-media

So to my best knowledge..this "gain" is in ad link clicks.
    Last edited by Rickroller; 12-22-11 at 09:31 AM.
    12-22-11 09:00 AM
    Turn it around with what? Speculation of products that won't hit the streets til 2013? And is this "successful" launch of an updated OS going to have people flocking from the streets to buy a PB? Are tech sites going to re-review the PB and update their initial opinions?
    you better believe that tech sites will re-review the PB once OS 2.0 comes out. i can see the headlines now "What the BlackBerry PlayBook should of been". RIM doesnt need the new OS to make people flock to buy one...well they do LOL...but the fire sales that are going on are already doing that for them. After the X-Mas break break is over and people have just gottn used to useing their new PBs, BAMM OS 2 is out and they are gonna love them even more.
    12-22-11 11:40 PM
166 ... 567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD