With all these rumors going around regarding Telus and the PB being discontinued, RIM should put out and official statement to clarify things and all speculation.
    02-04-12 06:20 AM
    They won't do that, as it would further affect sales.
    02-04-12 06:52 AM
    They don't have to, things are pretty clear
    http://crackberry.com/telus-making-w...rsion-eol-list

#Telus #EOL #Playbook #Rumor
    02-04-12 06:53 AM
    I agree with the OP. They could say, "We have a new one coming out soon. Here's the old one for dirt cheap." Or they could say, "We will not sell the PB anymore. Here's the old one for dirt cheap." Either way, it couldn't possibly hurt sales. bargain hunters will buy the cheap one regardless.

What hurts is EOLing a product without any official word about a new one. This just gets you more bad headlines.
    02-04-12 08:33 AM
    Please see the link in post #3.
    02-04-12 08:39 AM
    They don't have to, things are pretty clear
    TELUS making way for 3G BlackBerry PlayBook, puts WiFi version on EOL list | CrackBerry.com

#Telus #EOL #Playbook #Rumor
    Clear as far the Crackberry community, but other websites and bloggers are making it sound like the PB is finished period!
    howarmat likes this.
    02-04-12 09:07 AM
    The wifi PlayBook is NOT end of life, it will still be available for sale, just not from Telus. If you want a wifi version of the PlayBook you'll just have to buy it at Best Buy or Futureshop, or online. It's clear the carriers are clearing out the wifi version to make way for the 3G/4G version of the PlayBook, which you'll have to get a data plan from the carriers in order to use it. The carriers make little profit off a wifi version, so why would they carry the wifi version when they can make more money from a 3G/4G PlayBook.
    Thunderbuck and EchoTango like this.
    02-04-12 10:23 AM
    ^^ this

But RIM is in a pickle right now. They cant announce a new version coming cause then the really means EOL for the first one although it should be bargain prices too. What would have been better is wait until AFTER OS 2 was out there and they could get a good sales pop from that then allow it to go EOL.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-04-12 10:27 AM
    Clear as far the Crackberry community, but other websites and bloggers are making it sound like the PB is finished period!
    Those sites are going to report the PlayBook is finished regardless of any statement RIM puts out. It's like how commenters here will take any bit of news about the PlayBook, regardless of how patently negative it may be, and argue it's good news.
    02-04-12 10:31 AM
    Those sites are going to report the PlayBook is finished regardless of any statement RIM puts out. It's like how commenters here will take any bit of news about the PlayBook, regardless of how patently negative it may be, and argue it's good news.
    Maybe you can provide an example, instead of making a sweeping red-herring generalization.
    02-04-12 10:36 AM
    Or how some here will take any positive statement, regardless of how positive it may be, and argue that it is actually further evidence of RIM's doom.
    02-04-12 10:51 AM
    One carrier has chosen to EOL a product that they likely had little enthusiasm for in favor of one that presents them an ongoing revenue stream. Nothing to see here.

I wouldn't expect RIM to issue a statement on its retailers' decisions to carry or not carry its products. It comes across as defensive.

It's entirely possible that a Wifi version of the PB with the same 1.5 GHz processor as the 3G is coming, for instance.
    02-04-12 12:11 PM
    With all these rumors going around regarding Telus and the PB being discontinued, RIM should put out and official statement to clarify things and all speculation.
    not sure what all this noise is about.... The playbook is alive and well.. It's telus that is no longer selling the older version of PB as they are making room for the new ones...
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-04-12 12:17 PM
    Maybe you can provide an example, instead of making a sweeping red-herring generalization.
    Just so we're clear, that was neither a red-herring nor a generalization; it was a description of a specific type of behavior that is documented in the examples below.

On the $485 million PlayBook charge (which was 70% larger than the RIM's total net income for that quarter of $265 million):

It's good they released these results now and not on the 15th.

At $200 they are getting pbs out-there.
    On RIM replacing its CEOs:

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...s-thor-693372/

Or how some here will take any positive statement, regardless of how positive it may be, and argue that it is actually further evidence of RIM's doom.
    This is precisely what I meant she I said those sites are going to say the same thing regardless of any statement RIM makes.
    02-04-12 01:37 PM
    The wifi PlayBook is NOT end of life, it will still be available for sale, just not from Telus. If you want a wifi version of the PlayBook you'll just have to buy it at Best Buy or Futureshop, or online. It's clear the carriers are clearing out the wifi version to make way for the 3G/4G version of the PlayBook, which you'll have to get a data plan from the carriers in order to use it. The carriers make little profit off a wifi version, so why would they carry the wifi version when they can make more money from a 3G/4G PlayBook.
    If this 3g PB requires a data plan for purchase, I'd rather have a wifi version and bridge it.
    02-04-12 07:07 PM
    the best reply is to deliver on promises, to come out with good products, RIM can talk till they are blue in the face and people will simply believe what they want believe
    02-04-12 07:24 PM
    EOL is just for Telus not the entire market. RIM has said that they are releasing a 3/4G version of the PB everyone knows that its just a matter of officially when. So yes when people hear this its coming and see spec sheets for it then it makes sense they are going to clean out their stock because once the new once gets out no one is going to buy the Wifi version...well less people are.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    02-04-12 07:47 PM

I can remember more than one story about bestbuy, staples, others that it was game over and they will never PB again, yes the blogs were all over it. They were wrong! This looks lagit but does it matter? No, its time for new product. Although a wifi only tab should still be availiable. And yes RIM needs to keep it under wraps until ready.
    02-04-12 08:58 PM
    It is unfortunate terminology that Telus said EOL instead of discontinuing selling the product. Is there another example where Telus discontinued a product and referred to it as EOL?

At any rate, the existing tablet is End of Life, I don't think there is any doubt on that. Production stopped a while ago from what I have heard. The question remains will there be a new tablet to replace it? We shall see. I hope so, but if RIM decides to focus on the phones, I won't fault them on that.

However I will fault them if they leave the Playbook partly crippled from what it could be while continuing to work and develop it.

Worst case, if they decide to get out of the tablet business in the near future, please take the leash off so the developers can work with it.
    02-04-12 10:40 PM
    So people, just use your fingers and type it in the comments !!!
    02-05-12 04:28 AM
    So people, just use your fingers and type it in the comments !!!
    I would but I can't possibly join anymore websites and remember more passwords!! Old age can be a cruel thing!! lol
    02-05-12 05:57 AM
    I would but I can't possibly join anymore websites and remember more passwords!! Old age can be a cruel thing!! lol
    Use your BlackBerry's Password Keeper feature!
    02-05-12 06:30 AM
    Use your BlackBerry's Password Keeper feature!
    I do, it was just a joke!
    02-05-12 06:35 AM
    ^ I know ...
    02-05-12 08:33 AM
    New OS on the way, product refresh coming, and same ol' RIM bashing.
    PB isn't going anywhere.
    02-05-12 04:56 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD