1. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    great time to be buying Rim stock ... could double within 6 months ... seriously!
    08-29-11 01:01 PM
    great time to be buying Rim stock ... could double within 6 months ... seriously!
    I've been thinking the same thing. Only trouble is I don't think they're going to meet their numbers for this quarter so it might drop when they release the numbers and then start climbing again after that. The questions is: is it worth buying now or wait till after earnings call. The stock has been climbing steadily for the last week or so. It might continue to climb before sept 15th or it might drop again. It's a tough call. I'm thinking of buying now.
    08-29-11 01:35 PM
    it's up to $30.65 today
    08-29-11 01:52 PM
    Yes, but so is apple and google. The Market is up today. RIM is up almost 5% but without any real news. It's just following market trend today.
    08-29-11 02:12 PM
    I've been thinking the same thing. Only trouble is I don't think they're going to meet their numbers for this quarter so it might drop when they release the numbers and then start climbing again after that. The questions is: is it worth buying now or wait till after earnings call. The stock has been climbing steadily for the last week or so. It might continue to climb before sept 15th or it might drop again. It's a tough call. I'm thinking of buying now.
    According to Nasdac app, RIMM has been upgraded at Sterne and Agee from Neutral to Buy.
    08-29-11 03:16 PM
    According to Nasdac app, RIMM has been upgraded at Sterne and Agee from Neutral to Buy.
    I believe that's 4 upgrades in the last 5-6 days. I think the tide has turned and we'll be seeing more upgrades in the next weeks. But as I mentioned, I'm not so sure they're going to meet their forecast for this quarter with the late release of the new devices. I believe that the following quarter may surprise though.
    08-29-11 03:25 PM
    Yes, but so is apple and google. The Market is up today. RIM is up almost 5% but without any real news. It's just following market trend today.
    RIMM wasn't really following the market trend for quite a while now, so that's a change in itself...
    TheMimic likes this.
    08-29-11 04:12 PM
    was up almost 7% 10 mins ago. It's definitely moving in the right direction. I guess it's not all doom and gloom like they were predicting just 2 months ago. Who woulda thought? lol

The stock has gained almost 50% from the bottom it hit less than 3 weeks ago. Again, I'm not sure what will happen after the earnings call but I believe this upwards momentum to continue as we approach QNX
    08-30-11 11:11 AM
    That's good news.
    But I still don't buy stocks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 12:07 PM
    was up almost 7% 10 mins ago. It's definitely moving in the right direction. I guess it's not all doom and gloom like they were predicting just 2 months ago. Who woulda thought? lol

The stock has gained almost 50% from the bottom it hit less than 3 weeks ago. Again, I'm not sure what will happen after the earnings call but I believe this upwards momentum to continue as we approach QNX
    I agree. I see a big holiday season for RIM, especially if they squeak out a QNX handset by year's end And let us not forget the Cyclone media box that is rumored to launch for the holidays and Playbook2.0!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-30-11 12:11 PM
    It's gonna be interesting to see where it goes from here over the course the the next few weeks. It hit the bottom at 21.40 (rim.to) and after rallying almost 50%, we're about 5.5% short of the bottom we hit last month. I'm uncertain if the stock will take much more of a beating or if the 20$ mark is pretty much the bottom.

I remember reading this article last week that the company was worth about 13$/share just in tangible book value and patents value which is worth more than that. If my understanding is correct, the sellout value alone of rim should be 26$/share not including a premium. Ok fine, the possibility of a sellout is slim but regardless, how much lower can the stock go passed 20$?

Opinions are welcome, but not blatant insanity about it being worthless and they are gonna go bust.

By Tiernan Ray
    One of the more charitable notes on Research in Motion (RIMM) today, following brutal remarks from most analysts on a disappointing fiscal Q2 last night, comes from Tavis McCourt of Morgan Keegan.

McCourt has a Market Perform rating on the stock, and today he cut his price target to $37 from $42.

But he also writes that the report and outlook were actually not as bad as people are making it out to be.

“Sell Through Was okay,” he observes. “Although sell in of 10.6 million devices was pretty horrible, sell through of 13.7 million was ahead of our expectations, and up from 13.3 million last quarter,”

“Although this represents only 14% Y/Y growth, and nothing to get too excited about, it also demonstrates that BlackBerry sales are not precipitously dropping globally, only the sell-in did.”

After burning off 3 million units from the channel, RIM has only four weeks of inventory, which is an historic low, making it highly unlikely the company will have another quarter of poor sell-in, he thinks.

As regards the “PlayBook” tablet computer, whose shipments disappointed, McCourt is encouraged that management admitted it made a mistake in shipping the device in an incomplete manner, without native email and such.

“Management actually learned a lesson and admitted it.”

As for the stock, McCourt writes that the it’s in a binary state: either BlackBerry OS 7 and the “QNX” software will turn things around, or the “exodus” to Apple (AAPL) and Google’s (GOOG) wares will continue.

In any event, “we expect investors begin to talk about liquidation value for RIM,” he writes.

In its favor, RIM has “$13/share in tangible book value, patents that are likely worth more than their book value, and a profit stream that could likely be milked for a number of years given its recurring nature.”

Although impossible to know for sure, we estimate somewhere between $15-$20/share is the liquidation value for RIM (assuming management does not run it into the ground). If the company is able to return to top line and bottom line growth through a market share recovery (requires BB7 and QNX success), we estimate an S&P 500 multiple would be a fair valuation outcome, which would equate to roughly $56/share on our lowered estimates. We believe a 50% weighting on each scenario is fair given the early nature of the BB7 launch and the unknowable nature of QNX success, which would equate to a price target of $37.
    09-20-11 03:45 PM
    If you're going long on RIMM right now you've got more balls than me, but probably fewer brains. Like the guy in my sig
    09-22-11 07:51 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD