5. According to yesterday�s appearance, Alboini wants to split RIMM into 3 companies including one holding the patents. How do the other 2 companies continue to function with no intellectual property?

===============
    They would have to licence them from the IP company like everybody else.

It's not a bad idea, though I doubt that RIMs patents are strong enough to warrant a third company. Remember, that fabled patent treasure-trove hasn't been able to keep RIM free from patent litigation so far, and as I recall they've lost or settled most of their patent cases, including some really big ones. So I think it's safe to say that RIMs patents have possibly been overrated, and doesn't offer nowhere close to the strength of Apples, Samsungs or even Googles patents.

But splitting the company in two is an excellent idea. As the situation is right now, RIM can't offer cross-platform messaging or email solutions for example, because of their handset division.

The handset division likewise can't support another OS becuase of the enterprise business.

Splitting the company in two would prevent the different divisions from holding eachother back.
    10-13-11 04:53 AM
    They would have to licence them from the IP company like everybody else.

It's not a bad idea, though I doubt that RIMs patents are strong enough to warrant a third company. Remember, that fabled patent treasure-trove hasn't been able to keep RIM free from patent litigation so far, and as I recall they've lost or settled most of their patent cases, including some really big ones. So I think it's safe to say that RIMs patents have possibly been overrated, and doesn't offer nowhere close to the strength of Apples, Samsungs or even Googles patents.

But splitting the company in two is an excellent idea. As the situation is right now, RIM can't offer cross-platform messaging or email solutions for example, because of their handset division.

The handset division likewise can't support another OS becuase of the enterprise business.

Splitting the company in two would prevent the different divisions from holding eachother back.

That has certainly worked for all other tech company's to do this......

Right?
    10-13-11 05:06 AM
    Nope, it hasn't worked for all. It kinda worked for Palm for awhile, for their handset division anyways. It's often mentioned as a failure, but think about it this way... If Palm hadn't split up the company, they wouldn't have been able to launch the WM6 Treos, which kept the company afloat for a good period of time.

But RIM isn't Palm, so it might work better for them. RIM sure isn't Apple which benefits massively from the synergy.

In this case, I think they'd be better off with a split, as the positive effects of staying together seem neglible, and the two divisions hold eachother back, as I said.
    10-13-11 05:17 AM
    Nope, it hasn't worked for all. It kinda worked for Palm for awhile, for their handset division anyways. It's often mentioned as a failure, but think about it this way... If Palm hadn't split up the company, they wouldn't have been able to launch the WM6 Treos, which kept the company afloat for a good period of time.

But RIM isn't Palm, so it might work better for them. RIM sure isn't Apple which benefits massively from the synergy.

In this case, I think they'd be better off with a split, as the positive effects of staying together seem neglible, and the two divisions hold eachother back, as I said.
    I can't see how creating greater overhead costs through a split can help a company that is currently profitable just misguided, their current issues seem to be lack of synergy between software and hardware devisions making products take longer to get out the door.

so the solution is to move them into separate company's requiring each company to make a profit, as one can not tell to the other for a loss, AND making each company work together MORE closely as 2 independents vs a single company?

What RIM needs is a management restructuring and a communications course, not being split into multiple company's to maintain some short term share value, and get their hardware bastardized off to other OS's
    sam_b77 likes this.
    10-13-11 05:25 AM
    Market cap of Jaguar Financial is $5 million???
    So let me get this straight, this Albioni fellow is running a mom and pop store and he thinks he knows what's best for a multi-billion dollar company. Freedom of speech is great... anyone can say whatever $hit comes to their mind.
    10-13-11 06:24 AM
    Market cap of Jaguar Financial is $5 million???
    So let me get this straight, this Albioni fellow is running a mom and pop store and he thinks he knows what's best for a multi-billion dollar company. Freedom of speech is great... anyone can say whatever $hit comes to their mind.
    His interests are not in Running a company. But how to maximize his portfolio and sell his interest

Short term fast growth is what he needs for cash splitting RIM is a great move when your motivation is stock price not strong stable company. Investors get to buy in and sell, if they had to make suggestions based on 10 year plans for company's none would be saying split up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-11 06:52 AM
    His interests are not in Running a company. But how to maximize his portfolio and sell his interest

Short term fast growth is what he needs for cash splitting RIM is a great move when your motivation is stock price not strong stable company. Investors get to buy in and sell, if they had to make suggestions based on 10 year plans for company's none would be saying split up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yep, as I said in my earlier post, this guy is a stock market troll.... I was going for sarcasm in my post...
    10-13-11 08:17 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD