August 8, 2012 7:07 AM PDT

Research In Motion could be attempting to hold discussions with Samsung over the prospect of the handset maker licensing its BlackBerry 10 operating system.

In a note to investors today, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek said he believes that "RIM is attempting to revive discussions with Samsung regarding a BB10 licensing deal," according to All Things Digital, which obtained a copy of the note. Misek didn't say if discussions have kicked off yet and if so, how far he believes they have gone.

Rumors have been swirling for some time that Samsung and RIM have been holding talks. However, most of those rumors revolved around the idea that Samsung was considering buying RIM outright -- a possibility that Samsung has flatly denied.

Speaking to Reuters in January, Samsung spokesman James Chung said that his company has not "considered acquiring" RIM and is "not interested" in any such deal.

BlackBerry 10 is slated to be RIM's next mobile operating system launch. The operating system was supposed to be made available this year, but the company, which says it wants to ensure the software is ready for prime time, has delayed it to early next year. BlackBerry 10 is widely believed to be the platform that could make or break RIM.

Licensing, however, might be another solid option for the company to generate some cash. And RIM CEO Thorsten Heins is certainly not against licensing its software to other companies.

"To deliver BB10 we may need to look at licensing it to someone who can do this at a way better cost proposition than I can do it," Heins told the Telegraph in an interview last week. "There's different options we could do that we're currently investigating."

Heins didn't say whether Samsung was involved in any of those options.

CNET has contacted both Samsung and RIM for comment on Misek's comments. We will update this story when we have more information.
    08-08-12 12:37 PM
    This is all rather tentative and speculative... BUT

This is the best possible scenario that I can see right now; make Sammy a licensee and perhaps have them take a minority stake in the company.

I like this scenario the best because I think it would essentially let RIM stay RIM and BB10 would go full-steam ahead; I can imagine a similar alliance with Microsoft, but that would mean RIM would become a Windows Phone shop.

No idea how far along these talks are, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If anything of this kind is announced it will do wonders for RIM's share price.
    08-08-12 12:44 PM
    I stand corrected on my earlier comments!!
    hpjrt likes this.
    08-08-12 12:50 PM
    Ya, Miseks record speaks for itself. Just look at it.

• 2006, Apple will buy RIM
    • 2008, Microsoft will buy RIM
    • 2012, Samsung will buy RIM

Still waiting.. herp derp! Does make me wonder what Sammy would do with RIM though.. could be epic or an epic failure.

How I envision Miseks work day.
    08-08-12 01:23 PM
    Misek the says RIM's Alpha which is NOT BB10 is as good as Android but not as good as ios6. Imagine the final product of BB10?BB10 could smash every other smart phone and the paid shills know it. The has a $5 target and doesn't back it up with any numbers.
    08-08-12 02:30 PM
    Samsung are winning share hand over fist with Android, which is free. Why would they want to pay to use bb10?
    08-08-12 04:06 PM
    Samsung are winning share hand over fist with Android, which is free. Why would they want to pay to use bb10?
    I have similar question and nobody seems to be able to give any reason. And if they do want to diversify, why won't they just pay 10 billion to buy out RIM and get the OS plus a bunch of patents?
    08-08-12 04:13 PM
    Just because Google doesn't charge for Android, that doesn't imply it is free to use. Samsung pays Microsoft $12 to $13 per Android handset they sell. Microsoft made $800 Million dollars in royalties from Android in Q2 alone, most of which came from Samsung. That is $800 Million out of Android OEM's bottom line that goes to a company that has nothing to do with the phone or OS. Also I think that Samsung's dominance for Android shows that people are more interested in Samsung's Android UI (which is very iPhone like), more than in Android itself. If Samsung could customize BB10 to the look and feel they wanted and the majority of Android App catalog ported over it could create a huge momentum shift because people are going out to buy a Samsung Galaxy, not a Samsung Android IMHO!
    hpjrt likes this.
    08-08-12 04:22 PM
    I don't see Samsung--or anyone else--buying RIM outright.

For one thing, there are a few key institutional shareholders who likely wouldn't sell until the share price is much higher than current.

For another thing, if RIM remains an independent company they can be seen as somewhat impartial in terms of working with other platforms. And leaving RIM as a Canadian company alleviates concerns about technology transfer and any compromise of security.

This is an instance where owning a large chunk of RIM might ultimately be more valuable than owning ALL of RIM.
    08-08-12 04:28 PM
    Sammy seems to be the go to for rumors about rim. Amazon would be a better fit in terms of content and American market penetration.
    08-08-12 06:14 PM
    Because Google may leave hardware companies like Samsung in the dark ever since buying out Motorola mobile division.

Why should Google give out the same free features to Samsung and others when it will only compete with Google hardware? Google might restrict certain features or even delay them to partners.

It is wise for Samsung, HTC and others to broaden it's portfolio
    08-08-12 07:26 PM
    Because Google may leave hardware companies like Samsung in the dark ever since buying out Motorola mobile division.

Why should Google give out the same free features to Samsung and others when it will only compete with Google hardware? Google might restrict certain features or even delay them to partners.

No.

Samsung doing well only helps Google. Google will not show preference to Moto.

If Samsung does partner with RIM, RIM won't be getting the best of that deal by a long shot.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    Splange likes this.
    08-08-12 07:42 PM
    Exactly.

People like to quote how much they assume Samsung is paying MS, but it is clear that they are killing the profit margins. I don't like the merger/acquisition talk, because it means RIM is losing its backside in the deal.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    08-08-12 07:45 PM

You're obviously very unfamiliar with Google's business model. Google has been, and always will be, in the business of ensuring (or attempting to ensure) everybody uses their products and services.
    Splange likes this.
    08-08-12 07:50 PM
    Analysts don't know anything about anything.
    08-08-12 08:20 PM
    samsung has denied these rumours. reported by mobilesyrup and n4bb

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    08-08-12 08:25 PM
    Fight apple for the enterprise.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    08-08-12 08:25 PM
    samsung has denied these rumours. reported by mobilesyrup and n4bb

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    yes I noticed that too. maybe this is why RIM has not announced a licensing deal yet...no one is interested.
    aniym likes this.
    08-08-12 08:53 PM
    I have to think Sammy would consider doing this (licensing the OS for a Samsung vision of what a BB10 phone should look like) if the terms were to their liking. Yes they are very committed to Android, but that didn't stop them from coming out with a few versions of Windows Phone as well.

I wouldn't want to see a half hearted BB10 effort on the part of Sammy that would negatively reflect on the OS and it's abilities, as that's what I feel they did with the Windows Phones they have released to date.
    08-08-12 09:13 PM
    This is a red herring, Samsung needs RIM Patents so badly. Watch for a deal, this will get Samsung out of the Apple courtroom.
    08-08-12 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD