This is a great idea! QNX is already in the car entertainment business and are doing superbly well so they want to bring this into the home for TV entertainment. Couple this with the QNX PlayBook tablet and upcoming QNX super phones and you have a complete consumer solution. Those who don't see this as a great idea are failing to see the powerful integration that will take place between all devices.

It is said that QNX is now worth up to 10 times what RIM paid for them. There's a reason for that!
    QNX is starting to sound like the continuum transfunctioner from the movie "Dude, where's my car?"

The continuum transfunctioner is a very mysterious and powerful device... and it's mystery is exceeded only by it's power.
    Phil DeLong likes this.
    07-18-11 12:40 PM
    The level of condemning virility towards RIM on Crackberry.com forums is surprising as a newcomer.

RIM must innovate, yes? None of us has a road map to where QNX OS is heading. Prior to RIM's purchase, QNX was owned by Harman International since 2004. Let me clarify, Harman Kardon (subdivision) is an entertainment and multimedia electronics company.

QNX's core-competencies are OS engineers AND multimedia experience. RIM purchased this firm due to lack of expertise in this field or waiting too long to implement it's own "Manhattan Project". Guess what? Lazaridis did something right, it's own "Manhattan Project" would have taken too long.

Even if the adoption rate is only 2% with over 60 million BB users globally. Guess what? Over a million units sales = successful product, if RIM/QNX can execute.

Even Apple makes its products to satisfy its fan base first (the early adopters), anything beyond this is the multiplier effect in sales.

As for your comment about "mad scientist", the smirk is more appropriate towards Google (an advertising company with many side projects: some successful and some not).

RIM wants to broaden it's revenue streams, no different from Apple or Google. It's what firms do to increase shareholder value.

Let the product come out before you p|$$ on it. Then we will see if it's a pass or fail?

You're missing the point. He's saying this is not going to bring new business to RIM. The only people who will buy this are SOME who are already RIM clients. And they will probably be the most hardcore of RIM enthusiasts. The idea is to expand the client base. New phones are what will do that. Not more useless products.

I'm starting to see RIM as a mad scientist in his basement with a bunch of crazy experiments all going at once that keep exploding. None of which are anything useful.

ie: This is my latest invention! It's a Bluetooth device! Yes!!! Magnificent isn't it?! But wait, there's more! It can also trim your nose hairs! Yes!!!! This will be the next greatest thing! Because all business men are obsessed with their nose hairs!!!!
    -4 days before launch: Reviews: RIM Bluetooth/nose hair clipper epic fail. QNX os choppy. No native email. Another RIM product that doesn't do email. DOOM AND GLOOM.

-3 weeks after launch: Bluetooth/nose hair trimmer sales dismal.

-4 months after launch: RIM scraps Bluetooth/nose hair/toe nail clipper idea in favor of focusing on QNX super phones.
    sf49ers likes this.
    07-18-11 12:53 PM
    these whiners never stop whining no matter what, firstly the news is not coming from RIM but a third rated blog site, secondly even if RIM is working on something like this we don't know what exactly it does or who the intended audience are or is it a main stream standalone device like a ROKU or not. I don't understand what's wrong in RIM making an accessory to the blackberry with a combined functionality of BB presenter + BB bluetooth stereo gateway and some new added functionality to stream media from your blackberry or network device. This is not the first time RIM is making such an accessory as they already have BB presenter and BB bluetooth stereo gateway and I don't see any wrong in them leveraging the QNX roots in infotainment business.
    lnichols likes this.
    07-18-11 01:38 PM
    I have a sneaking suspicion that you are correct--Apple will be a bit late to the 4G party. But not as late as RIM, is my prediction. RIM is making lateness a new artform.
    If Apple don't launch LTE with the 4S/5 in September then it is probably going to be a year away and the first qnx blackberries are likely to have it in the first half of the year.
    07-18-11 02:30 PM
    Overly optimistic I'd say. At the snail pace they are moving, I don't ever expect them to have a fully baked PB you describe. They're too busy pouring time money and resources into a bunch of new projects like BB TV
    Have you not considered just how little work this device would actually take, it would be a playbook without a screen so all it would really need might be some ui tweaking for the larger display and any additional features that could also end up on the normal playbooks.

At the same time this device could simplify their range by dropping the music gateway and presenters so they would actually be focusing more closely on things rather than less.
    07-18-11 02:44 PM
    these whiners never stop whining no matter what, firstly the news is not coming from RIM but a third rated blog site, secondly even if RIM is working on something like this we don't know what exactly it does or who the intended audience are or is it a main stream standalone device like a ROKU or not. I don't understand what's wrong in RIM making an accessory to the blackberry with a combined functionality of BB presenter + BB bluetooth stereo gateway and some new added functionality to stream media from your blackberry or network device. This is not the first time RIM is making such an accessory as they already have BB presenter and BB bluetooth stereo gateway and I don't see any wrong in them leveraging the QNX roots in infotainment business.
    What's wrong with it is they should be focusing on releasing their new phones with QNX. Or how about just ANY new phones? You know...that thing EVERYONE is whining about for the last 8 months?
    Last edited by TheMimic; 07-18-11 at 03:13 PM.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-18-11 02:45 PM
    What's wrong with it is they should be focusing on releasing their new phones with QNX. Or how about just ANY new phones? You know...that thing EVERYONE is whinning about for the last 8 months?
    They better be able to do more than just phones at any one time. The R&D and hardware for this box is already done, the OS would be pretty close to the Playbook except it will need to have a remote input. Just thought of another additional feature that this box could do, add a USB camera and VTC on your TV to other Playbooks or people with these boxes, or Corporate BES with these devices all encrytped. Lot of possibilities with a box like this and you could make it to where it could be flexible enough to use it in a corporate and/or consumer role. Give it presentation and secure VTC capability, but make it flexible with apps for consumer to add Netflix, VTC, media hub, streaming from Playbook, etc.

They are not going to get a QNX phone out before the new year no matter if they devote all their resources to it. 2012 is going to be it. OS7 phones are already well into production and they'll want to sell as many as they can between when they are released and QNX phone come's out. Not what some people may want to hear, but it is what it is. They have more than one engineer tied up in the basements in Waterloo, even though it seems like they only have one with their slowness.
    07-18-11 03:13 PM
    Ok, some of you guys will never be able to see the benefits but I'm in my car right now streaming a podcast to my car stereo via the Blackberry VM-605, I would like to be able to do the same with my videos to my TV, what's so hard to understand?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    you can already do that today! well i can on my phone and tablet atleast. And you will be able to on the PB and future QNX phones too! no extra box needed
    07-18-11 03:19 PM
    you can already do that today! well i can on my phone and tablet atleast. And you will be able to on the PB and future QNX phones too! no extra box needed
    How? Enlighten me

07-18-11 03:30 PM
    go look DLNA up, im not doing your homework
    07-18-11 03:33 PM
    go look DLNA up, im not doing your homework
    Yeah right, I don't need a box but I have to buy a new TV, very clever. I'll take the box, thanks!

the_sleuth likes this.
    07-18-11 03:37 PM
    Have you not considered just how little work this device would actually take, it would be a playbook without a screen so all it would really need might be some ui tweaking for the larger display and any additional features that could also end up on the normal playbooks.

At the same time this device could simplify their range by dropping the music gateway and presenters so they would actually be focusing more closely on things rather than less.
    Have you not considered just how little work a QNX phone would actually take? It would be a mini playbook with a cellular modem with some UI tweaking for the smaller display.

Have you considered how simple it would be for RIM to undo regain some market share by releasing some new phones?

Everything is simple when you are typing it on a forum...
    01itr likes this.
    07-18-11 03:52 PM
    Yeah right, I don't need a box but I have to buy a new TV, very clever. I'll take the box, thanks!

Exactly. I have two newer TV's, one bought just last October and none of them have DLNA. A box will be just fine with me too.
    Last edited by lnichols; 07-18-11 at 04:02 PM.
    07-18-11 03:52 PM
    Have you not considered just how little work a QNX phone would actually take? It would be a mini playbook with a cellular modem with some UI tweaking for the smaller display.
    Interfacing the cellular radio with qnx is a big task that the absence of 3g/4g tablets indicates is not complete, then you have battery life considerations not to mention the harder job of reworking a ui to suit a much smaller screen so that overall job is vastly more complex than optimising the ui that already works fine on a larger screen.

Everything is simple when you are typing it on a forum...
    Apparently it wasn't that simple for you to give a good response so you resorted to a spurious example instead.
    07-18-11 05:23 PM
    Interfacing the cellular radio with qnx is a big task that the absence of 3g/4g tablets indicates is not complete, then you have battery life considerations not to mention the harder job of reworking a ui to suit a much smaller screen so that overall job is vastly more complex than optimising the ui that already works fine on a larger screen.

Apparently it wasn't that simple for you to give a good response so you resorted to a spurious example instead.
    You are correct sir. I apologize for thinking RIM had engineers and developers who were employed for the explicit purpose of working through these types issues in a timely manner.

It was also silly of me to think that 12+ months (since the announcement of the PB and QNX OS) was sufficient time to have a QNX phone running on a smaller screen and to be available to users. Of course they need another 12 months to get the OS working on a smaller screen. While we're at it, give em another 8-10 months for email and droid player. There's no sense of urgency at all as we all know. Maybe for the PB 1 year anniversary, we'll see native email and droid player

I'm beginning to wonder if the guys working for RIM are sitting around with programming manuals next to their computers trying to figure "this whole QNX thing" out...

Every day, they learn something new about QNX and they take a break for a few hours to discuss how awesome that "thing" is that they discovered and what they can do with it.

There are some brilliant programmers out there. If they don't work for RIM, maybe RIM should consider outsourcing the work to competent people? Just an idea...

It's not like QNX is a new platform to RIM. They acquired the company who already had staff with the utmost expertise on the programming language. Secondly, this isn't an acquisition from 3 weeks ago. RIM acquired QNX over 15 months ago. So let's take a look at what they've done so far with QNX. In 12 months since acquisition, they managed to design a tablet and have an OS built from scratch with a droid player (in beta version) and since then, they have not been able to produce software for email nor finish testing on the droid player? What happened? Did all the QNX staff get a 3 month vacation after the PB release? Am I to understand that it takes 12 months to design a tablet and build an entire OS from the ground up for it and from there it will take an additional 12 months to do the same for a phone because this wasn't being worked on simultaneously?

And what’s the explanation, they couldn’t work on it because of battery technology or hardware limitations during the conception of the idea? This isn’t Ironman where Tony Stark’s father is leaving him a video with instructions to create a new element in the future because of technological limitations of his time.

Can someone take the reigns and get this company in line again...
    07-19-11 10:34 AM
    TheMimic is going off tangent and rambling like an armchair grandmother. Someone get him a job at RIM.

Rollup your sleeves and save the Playbook. While you're at it, I want my QNX phone under my Xmas tree.
    07-19-11 02:05 PM
    TheMimic is going off tangent and rambling like an armchair grandmother. Someone get him a job at RIM.

Rollup your sleeves and save the Playbook. While you're at it, I want my QNX phone under my Xmas tree.

A job at RIM? Sure! I think there's a CEO position that should be opening up soon

as for your Christmas gift. Christmas 2012? That's a possibility.
    07-19-11 03:31 PM
    For some reasons also he thinks all the QNX people should just drop their tools and start working on the playbook. It's not like they don't have power stations to run and car computers to build or whatever projects they might be working on.

07-19-11 04:06 PM
    RIM acquired QNX over 15 months ago. So let's take a look at what they've done so far with QNX. In 12 months since acquisition, they managed to design a tablet and have an OS built from scratch with a droid player (in beta version) and since then, they have not been able to produce software for email nor finish testing on the droid player? What happened? Did all the QNX staff get a 3 month vacation after the PB release? Am I to understand that it takes 12 months to design a tablet and build an entire OS from the ground up for it and from there it will take an additional 12 months to do the same for a phone because this wasn't being worked on simultaneously?
    There is a lot of difference between a 2 minute demo and the real thing. There is a reason why EVERYBODY only showed the youtube site as their flash demo on their tablet. Nothing else works in other flash websites.

QNX staff are c programmers --- which has nothing to do with the java programmers at RIM who are doing the blackberry player and the android player.

And the native email thing is a server side issue (the old "one pin per user restriction" on the blackberry email infrastructure). QNX is the client side --- nothing to do with this problem at all.

QNX is an independent subsidiary of RIM and QNX does a lot of consulting work on contract --- and they have to honor existing contracts. Same thing with TAT --- TAT had to Chinese-wall some of their staff so that they can continue to design UI under existing design contracts to other mobile handset manufacturers.
    ADGrant likes this.
    07-20-11 10:10 AM
    Sounds interesting, then bridge can work with the playbook and other 'berries. If this becomes a reality, i'll be eager to test and try it out

07-20-11 11:13 PM
    I wrote about this idea a while back, a little different thought process but along the same lines of tight integration...so add your thoughts to mine and you can see where the opportunities lie. AliensWanted - my tech life: Blackberry and QNX - could this really happen?
    Last edited by AliensWanted; 07-21-11 at 12:20 PM.
    07-21-11 12:17 PM
    I apologize for resurrecting an old thread; but has there been any additional news, one way or the other, as to whether or not RIM has or has not abandoned the idea of making some sort of TV competitor to the Apple TV.

I ask as, after seeing Vizio's new Co-Star device particularly it's browsing ability and OnLive gaming connection, I have started to change my mind about using one of these devices.

Thus, I'm curious if RIM is still in the game on this issue or has it simply been shelved.
    06-28-12 02:05 PM
    I apologize for resurrecting an old thread; but has there been any additional news, one way or the other, as to whether or not RIM has or has not abandoned the idea of making some sort of TV competitor to the Apple TV.

I ask as, after seeing Vizio's new Co-Star device particularly it's browsing ability and OnLive gaming connection, I have started to change my mind about using one of these devices.

Thus, I'm curious if RIM is still in the game on this issue or has it simply been shelved.
    My guess is that it is put on hold until BB10 comes out, so they can not only focus on the phones, but also because it needs a finished BB10 to run on it. And the fact that it still would need to support streaming content from netflix, hulu, etc, which is not available yet on the PlayBook (not including apps that require a server-side piece on a PC).

The Nexus Q is another product was announced. It shows that all the big players are thinking the same thing. RIM just needs to finish their OS and hopefully BB10 will be used in multiple quality products.
    06-28-12 02:17 PM
    I hope they make a version of BB10 for smart TVs.

Like how LG is putting Android in one of their TV's.
    06-28-12 03:27 PM
149 ... 456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD