RIM�s BlackBerry 10 is a patchwork OS: WSJ
    By: Rajat Agrawal | Jun 8th, 2012 at 02:44PM 660Filed Under: BlackBerry, BlackBerry 10, News, RIM
    Research In Motion�s upcoming smartphone on BlackBerry 10 could be a race to the finish line for the BlackBerry manufacturer. The new platform is a patchwork of individual elements that RIM has secured either by direct acquisition or licensing deals and it will be difficult for the company to integrate everything together. Right from the OS itself to the UI to some of the unique features RIM had shown off at its developer engagement event last month, are all recent additions, WSJ reports.

The new predictive text keyboard that RIM showcased is not...

RIM’s BlackBerry 10 is a patchwork OS: WSJ | Video & Photo Reviews of Gadgets at BGR India
    06-08-12 06:45 AM
    This would explain all the delays. It is proving impossible for them to get this patchwork OS to function correctly.
    06-08-12 06:56 AM
    What delays? There have been no delays since December last year.

Also many parts of the OS are detachable - torch mobile needs very little to do with the rest of the company really. Just produce the end browser. The two that are key to integrate are QNX and TAT and they've had them for 2 years so they'll be integrated now.
    06-08-12 07:09 AM
    Today's headlines are even more over the top!
    "RIM's Frankenstein Phone"
    "While Research In Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) might be pinning its hopes on its new Blackberry, the device will be made up of a hodgepodge of technologies which have been purchased or licensed including the camera, touchscreen, and the operating system. The strategy is altogether new for RIM and one analyst comments that, “It’s almost too many things to integrate at the same time”. Meanwhile, the firm has ceased production of its smallest-capacity 16 gigabytes PlayBook tablet, so as to concentrate on the 32 gigabyte and 64 gigabyte models, while it experiences overall unimpressive sales and a $485 million inventory charge for the line in December. However, it’s expected that RIM will “remain committed to the tablet space”."

Tech Biz Roundup: RIM's Frankenstein Phone, EU Frowns on Google | Wall St. Cheat Sheet

Seems to me that any and every way the Wall Street Press can color the news through bias and ignorance is being used. These people? aren't journalists they're hacks who want their name published. And the old clich� "Why let the facts get in the way of a good story!” applies. So RIM acquires and partners for technology, it's better than ripping it off! But, the buck has become more important than honest business practices. Cheap labor=higher profit ala Apple and ?????
    Google and Apple are fighting off lawsuits left and right and deservedly so (they've got the bucks to ignore copyrights). Unfortunately, they're big enough to have more lawyers than an insurance company or bank.
    I'm disgusted!
    Last edited by tonyrenier; 06-08-12 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Addition
    kozmo68 likes this.
    06-08-12 07:10 AM
    Wsj-fox newspaper.
    crashberry and ekafara like this.
    06-08-12 07:18 AM
    Aren't all Operating systems built from acquired, leased and/or stolen software from other companies? That's why we read about all these patent lawsuits when software is supposedly used illegally. Everyone is using software from other companies. That's just how it works. How is that negative news? Its like saying Audi is a patchwork car because they use parts made by other companies. You have to review the sum of all the parts/software, not each one individually.
    grumpa, Stewartj1, kozmo68 and 3 others like this.
    06-08-12 07:18 AM
    Geez, I wonder how much Apple paid them to write this.
    06-08-12 07:22 AM
    Yep no delays RIM said it will be available late 2012,
    so I don't understand where's the delay.
    Or do people just think late 2012 means July/Aug.
    06-08-12 07:22 AM
    Geez, I wonder how much Apple paid them to write this.
    WSJ doesn't write these. Apple media staff write them. Then send them to WSJ with a note saying..."if you want to be able to write a praise article the new iphone 5 that will get lots of hits, you will publish this..." Not a direct quote, bit you get the idea. It is part of the conspiracy.
    06-08-12 07:31 AM
    NASA's space program is a "hodgepodge" of technologies, and as I recall it has been pretty successful!!! Seriously, if they were writing about any other company the article would praise their ability to integrate technologies to build a innovative product. Unbelievable!
    06-08-12 07:40 AM
    Any dummy can write a story and publish it on the internet now days, amazing the WSJ is at it...
    kozmo68 likes this.
    06-08-12 07:41 AM
    Talking about patchwork, Apple's very "own" OS X is a big piece of patchwork, starting from the mach kernel all the way up to the frameworks.

Do these journalists know what they are talking about?
    06-08-12 07:43 AM
    I knew it was was only a matter of time before someone brought up the word "kernel".
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-08-12 07:48 AM
    RIM’s BlackBerry 10 is a patchwork OS: WSJ
    By: Rajat Agrawal | Jun 8th, 2012 at 02:44PM 660Filed Under: BlackBerry, BlackBerry 10, News, RIM
    Research In Motion’s upcoming smartphone on BlackBerry 10 could be a race to the finish line for the BlackBerry manufacturer. The new platform is a patchwork of individual elements that RIM has secured either by direct acquisition or licensing deals and it will be difficult for the company to integrate everything together. Right from the OS itself to the UI to some of the unique features RIM had shown off at its developer engagement event last month, are all recent additions, WSJ reports.

The new predictive text keyboard that RIM showcased is not...

RIM’s BlackBerry 10 is a patchwork OS: WSJ | Video & Photo Reviews of Gadgets at BGR India
    Yes, it is a patchwork of individual elements purchased by RIM with the express purpose of building a killer OS and UI. RIM knew which components it needed and it went out and bought the best it could find.

Mercedes-Benz do a similar thing to make their cars. The buy metal for the body from one place and tires from another. The list just goes on and on.

I made a curry the other night and, guess what, I bought chichen meat from one store and some spices that came from abroad. I got onions and mushrooms from the market. I knew what I needed and bought the best I could.

These jounalists make me sick.

I am reminded here of a quote by Mark Twain which goes.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”
    06-08-12 07:53 AM
    Glad to see that WSJ finally caught up with technology! Integrated OS would have been a more accurate term.

Patchwork makes it sound like it will suck...oh wait, that's the point isnt it???
    ekafara likes this.
    06-08-12 08:01 AM
    Apple stay on the brain of you people. However, according to most RIM was innovative, or so we thought, but what else is expected when the majority of your engineering team are Waterloo University students.
    06-08-12 08:02 AM

Also many parts of the OS are detachable - torch mobile needs very little to do with the rest of the company really. Just produce the end browser. The two that are key to integrate are QNX and TAT and they've had them for 2 years so they'll be integrated now.

You must not be one of the many the bought a PB when it first came out. They indeed are about a year behind on almost everything they said it would have.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    06-08-12 08:10 AM
    Jeez, it's called "open innovation" - I would be more concerned if they were trying to do everything on their own.
    06-08-12 08:10 AM
    I was one of the first to buy the PB when I came out (in the UK). The article is about BB10, only date that's been missed for that is 1Q12, and that wasn't to do with integrating the companies but because they switched from scaled down PBOS to what we saw at BBWorld. Since that deadline was pushedd to latter 2012 in Dec 11, there have been no delays.

I agree with the other posters about the ridiculousness of viewing acquiring other companies as a bad thing. Saw an article a few months ago headlined "Apple in liquid metal breakthrough" and I though "no Apple just acquired a company that made the breakthrough. Siri is also seen as an Apple innovation when it's an acquisition.
    06-08-12 08:41 AM
    I can't believe all the haters hating... this is just crazy talk.
    Just Me likes this.
    06-08-12 09:24 AM
    I forgot RIM is the only mobile tech company that has purchased other businesses, or licensed technology from other businesses...

"Capitalism doesn't work." -BO
    06-08-12 09:33 AM
    I forgot RIM is the only mobile tech company that has purchased other businesses, or licensed technology from other businesses...

"Capitalism doesn't work." -BO
    Oh well, in that case, I shall use my OS to Occupy Memory .
    ayekon likes this.
    06-08-12 09:38 AM
    Apple stay on the brain of you people.
    ...said the Apple fan commenting on a Blackberry article quoted on a Blackberry subforum on a Blackberry site.....
    lnichols, dusdal, sf49ers and 5 others like this.
    06-08-12 09:46 AM
    ...said the Apple fan commenting on a Blackberry article quoted on a Blackberry subforum on a Blackberry site.....
    Hey, they have a 9930 as well.
    06-08-12 09:55 AM
    I can't believe all the haters hating... this is just crazy talk.
    My favorite member here calls it bombastic hyperbole from the usual suspects. It's becoming a spectator sport to see who will descend to drop a 1-line turd and engage in the inevitable round of thank-button grab-a$$.

The simple truth is, no one entity can be expected to have expertise -- or even be knowledgeable -- in all of the features and functionality that are increasingly required of today's do-everything technology that has become the smart phone industry. RIM is absolutely going about this the only way they can if they are going to be successful with BB10.
    06-08-12 09:58 AM
89 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD