I think I'd rather see Amazon buy it. They will make it work. WebOS is awesome.

RIM... they seem to have too many problems already. But if they dropped WebOS onto their tablet/smartphones they'd have a good product right off the hop.
    11-08-11 05:36 PM
    If RIM buys WebOS, what happens to RIMM?
    Not a lot I would think. I doubt very much is WebOS would ever come to light in a RIM phone. I'd guess that RIM migh buy WebOS just to keep it off the market. If they did that and said so, then again I'd guess that RIMM prices would not change much over this.
    11-08-11 05:50 PM
    This might be the bait that will kill RIM. I don't expect RIM to go through with this. RIM's already had mishaps of bad timing for a while already!
    11-08-11 06:34 PM
    If this was to go through and RIM buys it, how long till we know about it. What things did the palm do well, can these be used on BB products to make them better. I know palm had the browser (tabs) likely at the same time that RIM came out with it.
    11-08-11 07:31 PM
    According to BGR the decision on who gets this will likely come down tonight. HP executives are coming together at 4:30 PM PST to talk about this. The 5 companies in the standing will likely know soon who gets what.

"HP is reportedly holding a meeting Tuesday night during which it may decide the fate of its webOS mobile platform, The Verge reported on Tuesday. The meeting will take place after the market closes and will be led by CEO Meg Whitman at 4:30 p.m. PST. According to Reuters, HP has been toying with the idea of selling the unit and possible suitors include Amazon, Intel, Oracle, Research In Motion and IBM. The potential sale will likely fetch far less than the $1.2 billion that HP paid to acquire Palm in 2010. HP originally said it was killing off webOS hardware in August, and recent reports have suggested HP will soon put the final nail in the webOS coffin and subsequently lay off 500 webOS employees. " (BGR.com is the ones reporting this)
    11-08-11 07:44 PM
    webos married to qnx ? isn't the swipe up to close is patented by webos? swipe down to close is used in meego.
    i have a nokia n950 on meego, and the swipe is surprisingly good (and no bezel on the side, unlike playbook). i guess bbx phone would operate somewhat between meego and webos.
    11-08-11 08:22 PM
    asaunders Alec Saunders
    dthin.gs/s7ivyG AMAZING! WebOS devs, we can help! Send email to [email protected]. We have devices, training and CUSTOMERS!

On news that HP still doesn't know what to do.
    11-08-11 08:42 PM
    looks like they are keeping it for now. who knows lol
    11-08-11 08:46 PM
    looks like they are keeping it for now. who knows lol
    Where'd you get that? i've even checked Twitter and not a peep of that.

What about this? RIM, buy WebOS, then come out with an updated Touchpad; or a tablet that is like the PlayBook but 10", with optional 3G, and running WebOS 3.

Then make it clear that BBX will be the upgrade path to BOTH PlayBooks, and will mesh the two OSs together. Just whip up something better than the current TouchPad, or use that PlayBook 10" prototype that you have on the back burner

This will allow RIM to push out a full-featured tablet far faster (as pretty much all they have to do is some driver tweaks and rebranding), while allowing them to slowly transition to the new QNX operating system and include Bridge and BB push services.

And that also means that they could possibly support WebOS apps in BBX, which would help increase the app count and attract WebOS developers.

I firmly believe that WebOS 3 is ready enough that rim can stick it into a decent tablet and sell it right away. Many of the slowdown issues are hardware-related anyways, as tWebOS has been found to run way faster on an iPad compared to the TouchPad, so decent hardware and it'll work great!
    11-08-11 09:04 PM
    11-08-11 09:07 PM
    The article I posted was from August- the other articles I read were from today but they were all crazy about oracle.
    Nope. The article is from today. CET = Central European Time DD/MM/YY

Posted by Arne Hess - on Tuesday, 08.11.11 - 16:11:23 CET
    11-09-11 01:08 AM
    Well, since HP is taking a few weeks to think about it, looks like RIM dodged a bullet!

Most of the people that talk about how lovely webOS is, have probably never tried it. It's AWFUL. How awful? Well, take the Touchpad...Cutting edge hardware, 1.2 ghz CPU. Slow as heck...mAnd even with the CPU over locked to 1.8 ghz, it STILL was slower at simple stuff like browsing than an iPhone!
    11-09-11 05:06 AM
    yes OS7 is selling i agree but we dont know how well (chances are pretty damn good though) nor do we know how much money the PB is costing them at this point. Remember the lastest figure for the R&D expenses.
    Yes OS7 devices are selling but how well?
    Iphone and ipad sales are reported likely to slow down.

Apple has suppliers on alert after reportedly cutting iPhone 4S and iPad shipments
    11-09-11 08:24 AM
    Well, since HP is taking a few weeks to think about it, looks like RIM dodged a bullet!

Most of the people that talk about how lovely webOS is, have probably never tried it. It's AWFUL. How awful? Well, take the Touchpad...Cutting edge hardware, 1.2 ghz CPU. Slow as heck...mAnd even with the CPU over locked to 1.8 ghz, it STILL was slower at simple stuff like browsing than an iPhone!
    That's actually due to the old processor that HP used. The WebOS team hacked an iPad 2 to run WebOS 3 and it ran like a dream.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-09-11 10:37 AM
    That's actually due to the old processor that HP used. The WebOS team hacked an iPad 2 to run WebOS 3 and it ran like a dream.

Yeah, I remember that story... Only one website, whose source was apparently someone in the webOS division, ever ran it. And I'm pretty sure whoever came up with that nonsense only did it to cover up for the webOS teams own incompetence, and portray them in a better light.

"Wasn't us! Honest, guv! It was the obsolete hardware, see..."

Because there is NOTHING slow or obsolete with the Snapdragon CPU it was fitted with. It comes with the Adreno220 GPU, one of the best graphics units out right now, and the CPU itself is also lightning fast. It's faster than the Tegra CPU you see in most Android tablets, and is dualcore as opposed to the single core version of it, that they put in the HTC Flyer, and you never hear about those being "underpowered" do ya?

Nah man, nothing wrong with the hardware... As fast or faster than anything else out right now. The software though was BAD... It just had this slow and unfinished feel to it, despite being in development for over a year it was clearly un optimized and un polished...
    11-09-11 01:59 PM
    People in this forum don't really know anything about RIM's current financial status. They only report that once every year right

I'm not surprised to see RIM in this group. They still kick-a$$
    11-09-11 03:14 PM
    Nope. The article is from today. CET = Central European Time DD/MM/YY
    I am happy I am not the only one who has noticed this. 8 August 11, was not a Tuesday ladies and gents, it was a Monday. 8 November 2011, was in fact a Tuesday.

Unfortunately people are unaware a date can be written a number of different ways. I like YY/MM/DD but that's my personal preference.

Carry on.
    11-09-11 04:33 PM
    Yeah, I remember that story... Only one website, whose source was apparently someone in the webOS division, ever ran it. And I'm pretty sure whoever came up with that nonsense only did it to cover up for the webOS teams own incompetence, and portray them in a better light.

"Wasn't us! Honest, guv! It was the obsolete hardware, see..."

Because there is NOTHING slow or obsolete with the Snapdragon CPU it was fitted with. It comes with the Adreno220 GPU, one of the best graphics units out right now, and the CPU itself is also lightning fast. It's faster than the Tegra CPU you see in most Android tablets, and is dualcore as opposed to the single core version of it, that they put in the HTC Flyer, and you never hear about those being "underpowered" do ya?

Nah man, nothing wrong with the hardware... As fast or faster than anything else out right now. The software though was BAD... It just had this slow and unfinished feel to it, despite being in development for over a year it was clearly un optimized and un polished...
    Just because it has a great clockspeed doesn't make it better. think of it this way: an old Pentium III clocked at 1ghz stil can't do as much as the latest Atom clocked at 1ghz also.
    11-09-11 05:16 PM
    Just because it has a great clockspeed doesn't make it better. think of it this way: an old Pentium III clocked at 1ghz stil can't do as much as the latest Atom clocked at 1ghz also.
    What about a P II overclocked to 2.1 GHz? A buddy did it and ran COD on it, but it blew the board due to insufficient cooling (capacitors went POP POP POP!!!), but it ran smooth.

11-09-11 07:29 PM
    Where'd you get that? i've even checked Twitter and not a peep of that.

What about this? RIM, buy WebOS, then come out with an updated Touchpad; or a tablet that is like the PlayBook but 10", with optional 3G, and running WebOS 3.

Then make it clear that BBX will be the upgrade path to BOTH PlayBooks, and will mesh the two OSs together. Just whip up something better than the current TouchPad, or use that PlayBook 10" prototype that you have on the back burner

This will allow RIM to push out a full-featured tablet far faster (as pretty much all they have to do is some driver tweaks and rebranding), while allowing them to slowly transition to the new QNX operating system and include Bridge and BB push services.

And that also means that they could possibly support WebOS apps in BBX, which would help increase the app count and attract WebOS developers.

I firmly believe that WebOS 3 is ready enough that rim can stick it into a decent tablet and sell it right away. Many of the slowdown issues are hardware-related anyways, as tWebOS has been found to run way faster on an iPad compared to the TouchPad, so decent hardware and it'll work great!
    Pre 1 and 2 failed to sell. I don't need to say anything about the Touchpad. RIM making a WebOS tablet would be no different. On top of that, moving to WebOS tablets makes no sense for RIM since the plan is to move all devices to the BBX platform. The last thing they need now is to offer BBOS7, BBX and WebOS devices at the same time while Apple continues to manage a single platform and Google moves to ICS for all their devices.
    Jake Storm and kbz1960 like this.
    11-09-11 07:30 PM
    Pre 1 and 2 failed to sell. I don't need to say anything about the Touchpad. RIM making a WebOS tablet would be no different. On top of that, moving to WebOS tablets makes no sense for RIM since the plan is to move all devices to the BBX platform. The last thing they need now is to offer BBOS7, BBX and WebOS devices at the same time while Apple continues to manage a single platform and Google moves to ICS for all their devices.
    They wouldn't be moving to WebOS; they would just be using it to bring a complete OS to the masses earlier, then upgrade the devices to BBX once it's finished.
    11-09-11 07:45 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD