When I first heard of this I was skeptical but another source has come up and corroborated parts of the story. BB_unleashed let us know in the forums that RIM is showing partners BlackBerry 10 demos running on the PlayBook for testing purposes. They were showing off multitasking along with a homescreen with six live tiles instead of the BlackBerry 10 smartphones 4 tiles. Supposedly they also presented BlackBerry 10 on a Motorola Xoom to show the licensing possibilities. This was all done for a large developer to get them to consider developing for BlackBerry 10. This is all still in rumorville so take it with a grain of salt but it is promising to hear that RIM already has licensing possibilities worked out for BlackBerry 10. I doubt Motorola will be a partner due to it being acquired by Google but it is cool to hear that it is running on an NVIDIA Tegra processor." BerryReview

http://www.berryreview.com/2012/09/1...BerryReview%29

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-20-12 02:17 AM
    So far, seems to denote only that it could run on such hardware ...
    jakie55 and drjay868 like this.
    09-20-12 02:48 AM
    Well, here's how I look at this:

QNX runs excellent on that ARM chipset. IF, and I say, IF... QNX can prove that on the same hardware; runs better, longer batt life, better overall experience and performance...

We'll have a field time with the info and data. And we won't need to really get involved in a "CPU GHz race" craze like the times of AMD vs Intel pre iCore. (you know, when Intel was like "i'm so good, i've got 3GHz and its faster than AMD!" and AMD retaliates by relabeling their cpus on AMD6400 (meaning theorically it'll beat the crap out of an intel supposedly 6400GHz proc)

And suddenly after IDF, I say RIM's decision to hold off a 10" tablet is worth it, assuming they can transplant the QNX into an Intel Haswell or the other offering, and still beat the crap out of another OS running on that processor, then we'll really, really have a field day. For all crackberry fans.
    09-20-12 07:30 AM
    RIM needs to show potential players their marketplace flexibility and I think in general this is a good move. Unfortunately Android continues to evolve, even taking marketshare from the mighty IOS and of course BB. If this continues as expected, it will eventually may make this whole exercise moot.

Again, we wait while the world moves on........
    Last edited by EchoTango; 09-20-12 at 08:28 AM.
    09-20-12 08:25 AM
    Very interesting. I'm guessing the BB10 ran pretty darned good on that Xoom, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered showing it. Shows how powerful and flexible QNX can be.

No stop the tom-foolery and release the damned OS! Well, hurry up and make it perfect, and then release it!
    09-20-12 12:49 PM
    Also, makes me wonder how long RIM has be courting developers. Hopefully its been going on for a while and this isn't a new strategy, so that RIM's got a large cache of apps in BBAW when BB10 is released. I don't really care for most apps, but they are important to a lot of people.
    09-20-12 12:53 PM
    This BB10 on Xoom thing is interesting. One of the common complaints about Android is how fast devices get orphaned by their makers, software wise. People are frustrated that their relatively new devices aren't getting the latest Android builds.

As an alternate revenue source, would it be feasible for RIM to sell BB10 software upgrades for these devices? Someone gets bored of an Xoom or Galaxy Tab running an older Android build, and want to upgrade. You hook the device to a computer running Blackberry Desktop Software, it recognizes it as a Xoom, gives you the option to buy BB10 to install on it, and then away you go. RIM increases the user base of BB10 without having the cost of building the product. QNX runs on all sorts of hardware in industrial settings, so maybe this is possible?

Admittedly, I know very little about the technical or legal restrictions that might prevent this. Can anyone enlighten me?
    09-20-12 06:39 PM
    This BB10 on Xoom thing is interesting. One of the common complaints about Android is how fast devices get orphaned by their makers, software wise. People are frustrated that their relatively new devices aren't getting the latest Android builds.

As an alternate revenue source, would it be feasible for RIM to sell BB10 software upgrades for these devices? Someone gets bored of an Xoom or Galaxy Tab running an older Android build, and want to upgrade. You hook the device to a computer running Blackberry Desktop Software, it recognizes it as a Xoom, gives you the option to buy BB10 to install on it, and then away you go. RIM increases the user base of BB10 without having the cost of building the product. QNX runs on all sorts of hardware in industrial settings, so maybe this is possible?

Admittedly, I know very little about the technical or legal restrictions that might prevent this. Can anyone enlighten me?
    theoretically when a person buys something its theirs, they can do what they want with it. if they want to install BB10 it would be their choice, the manufacture can just refuse to service it if a warranty issue comes up
    09-20-12 06:56 PM
    For a product thats months away, its getting hot in here!
    Oh how I would drool if they sprung a December release on us. BB fans deserve it!
    09-21-12 12:38 AM
    This has potential in terms of getting people with older android tablets to come over. Will have to market the heck out of the feature but I can see people doing this for a relatively small fee. The HP touchpad sold like hotcakes when people saw the bargain basement price & the fact that they could put android on it and get it to run relatively smoothly.
    If QNX can really harness the potential of a tablet many manufacturers could also license the BB10 OS and breathe new life into older tablets that were otherwise heading for the bargain bin due to being saddled with older versions of android.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    09-21-12 03:19 AM
    This has potential in terms of getting people with older android tablets to come over. Will have to market the heck out of the feature but I can see people doing this for a relatively small fee. The HP touchpad sold like hotcakes when people saw the bargain basement price & the fact that they could put android on it and get it to run relatively smoothly.
    If QNX can really harness the potential of a tablet many manufacturers could also license the BB10 OS and breathe new life into older tablets that were otherwise heading for the bargain bin due to being saddled with older versions of android.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    They have to determine where the positives are for RIM, money wise.
    I guess that a higher number of people using BB10 would entice more developers but would these people who changed over be as willing to spend more money on apps since they tend to be more expensive on AppWorld.
    09-21-12 06:30 AM
    If the screen resolution of the various tablets are different, wouldn't this cause a problem.
    I thought they were trying to reduce the number of variables that developers have to deal with.
    09-21-12 07:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD