On average? They had a bad couple of days last fall. But other than that, RIM has near perfect uptime statistics that are the envy of the industry.
    Figures? I can find them for hotmail, gmail and things like exchange but not for BIS.
    07-04-12 07:11 AM
    Just out of curiousity... will I be able to BBM via my BES connection work over wifi with these kinds of outages? It doesn't look like I can text over wifi currently on ATT. Could be the wifi makeup that I'm connected to, but a concrete answer from someone in the know would be nice.
    07-04-12 01:42 PM
    it's actually quite true, nine times out of ten just because of how the BIS works with the carrier towers and how low its consumption is, it will often work in situations that other platforms just won't work in.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    07-04-12 01:47 PM
    Just out of curiousity... will I be able to BBM via my BES connection work over wifi with these kinds of outages? It doesn't look like I can text over wifi currently on ATT. Could be the wifi makeup that I'm connected to, but a concrete answer from someone in the know would be nice.
    If your BES allows for wifi, yes. However, not all BES allow wifi. My agency does not allow wifi, although it does allow BBM. So I do have BBM even though I am on BES. I do not, however, have the ability to use wifi.
    07-04-12 02:19 PM
    If your BES allows for wifi, yes. However, not all BES allow wifi. My agency does not allow wifi, although it does allow BBM. So I do have BBM even though I am on BES. I do not, however, have the ability to use wifi.
    Not all BES allows for BBM either. My BB works over wifi but can't BBM.
    07-04-12 02:43 PM
    All BES allows BBM, it's your employer that doesn't.
    07-04-12 02:53 PM
    Glad the BlackBerry came through and your daughter is OK.
    07-04-12 02:54 PM
    Ah, ok. So I'll be needing to talk to the BES admins about their configuration. Thanks.

Oh, one other question... if BES goes down due to power loss (say, tornado, loss of generator, gets hit by lightning, whatever the cause), am I out of luck with BBM?
    07-04-12 02:55 PM
    We went through a while when that wasn't allowed for us either. We eventually did get it.
    07-04-12 03:57 PM
    I was downtown Ottawa for Canada Day and my bbm was just as bogged down on Rogers as anything else was. Roughly a 10-15 min delay for bbm messages to go through. And no, wasn't just my device - my personal, work phone, and two friends BB's all had the same luck messaging (which sucked at one point trying to meet up among a few hundred thousand people).
    07-04-12 04:13 PM
    Ah, ok. So I'll be needing to talk to the BES admins about their configuration. Thanks.

Oh, one other question... if BES goes down due to power loss (say, tornado, loss of generator, gets hit by lightning, whatever the cause), am I out of luck with BBM?
    And you brought it right back around to the beginning of this message!!!

When you mean BES going down I assume you mean your area goes down because of a localised natural disaster then yes, mail and BBM will continue. If your entire server farm is compromised and your mail servers are damaged then mail won't but BBM will continue.
    If the BES/BIS service itself goes down at the NOC then no BB tool will work.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-04-12 at 04:30 PM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-04-12 04:13 PM
    All BES allows BBM, it's your employer that doesn't.
    Ok, as you wish. My employer has configured their BES not to allow BBM, app installs, memory card access or camera access. The last restriction is moot since they are now issuing devices with no camera.
    07-04-12 07:47 PM
    I'm surprised that RIM hasn't pushed this more. One of the nice things about BlackBerry services is that it can do a good job of keeping communications running during emergency situations. The small packets get sent when there is an opening in the data line. As cell calls overload towers, SMS messages will time out and fail. Other chat methods that require a constant connection (like most IM apps) will time out as well, and most don't try to resend failed messages automatically. BBM waits for an opening and transmits quickly. When other services fail, BBM can keep communications running.

I always wondered why RIM never has a commercial showing how reliable BBM has been during emergencies.
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-04-12 10:36 PM
    I love it when I'm down at the bottom of the parking garage 4 stories down, no carrier coverage down there, but I can get a BBM sent in a New York minute! Gotta Love that!
    07-04-12 10:45 PM
    When you mean BES going down I assume you mean your area goes down because of a localised natural disaster then yes, mail and BBM will continue. If your entire server farm is compromised and your mail servers are damaged then mail won't but BBM will continue.
    If the BES/BIS service itself goes down at the NOC then no BB tool will work.
    Yeah, I meant if our NOC went down... I guess that means all our BB services would be dead in the water and we'd have to depend on the carrier for other services. Thanks again. It's good to know. Looks like that backup place can't come up quick enough.
    07-04-12 11:05 PM
    Ok, as you wish. My employer has configured their BES not to allow BBM, app installs, memory card access or camera access. The last restriction is moot since they are now issuing devices with no camera.
    Sounds like your employer will never give up BES
    07-05-12 12:35 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD