Very interesting and great indicator of what to come as soon as BlackBerry 10 is officially available here in the States.

http://theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/investor-community/trading-shots/blackberry-is-on-the-right-track-and-microsoft-just-isnt/article9657725/
    03-12-13 02:43 PM
    a good article that shows the TRUE side of the fight.
    03-12-13 02:52 PM
    This article I think brings up a good point; Branding holds a lot of power. Since RIM is not in the PC market, everybody know BB as a phone. Period. However, Microsoft has probably the largest and most diverse profile of any software company in the world; gaming consoles, pc OS, phone, tablets, office, search engine (albeit not so popular), etc. But they do not leverage any of this in their phones (not entirely and not well either). For example, Google has you sign into everything with an account and basically ties you into all their services and buy into their ecosystem. Microsoft does not do this well which makes for a frustrating overall experience. Microsoft is heading in the right direction by tying everything into an account and in maybe 2-3 years they will see the fruits of their harvest.
    And for people that say that Microsoft probably won't be around then in the phone market, you have to remember they can keep throwing money at their products because of their enormous success in there other areas, mainly pc os/software and xbox.

However, BB has figured out how to brand and market their products effectively and Microsoft hasn't. This will make sure BB hopefully holds on and gains traction as the 3rd OS. I hope to see them challenge for 2nd in the world in the coming years.
    03-12-13 03:51 PM
    Interesting read indeed. I have long thought MSFT 's Windows Phone isn't a competitor and Blackberry hasn't lost it's 3rd place spot. I perceive by year end, the numbers will be different.
    shadboy likes this.
    03-12-13 04:30 PM
    When I installed Windows 8 on my PC, installed smart glass and heard the notification behind me on my TV (via xbox) say I've signed inti smart glass on my PC. All automatically. Was very excited. This kind of integration is perfect. I even thought to myself. Holy ****, I should get a windows 8 smartphone.

But then you look around and really my Z10 and DLNA can do whatever I need. They've made a few improvements but haven't sold me on anything.

Not to mention I never enter the tiles pane on my PC, never. I just stick on the desktop.

Posted via CB10
    anon(1005582) likes this.
    03-12-13 04:59 PM
    Not to mention that the first thing I'll do to my next laptop is wipe it and put Windows 7 on it.
    hpjrt and Bilaal like this.
    03-12-13 05:11 PM
    Not to mention that the first thing I'll do to my next laptop is wipe it and put Windows 7 on it.
    nah keep 8 just remove the metro UI.Ms did that all wrong.
    kbz1960 and G-bone like this.
    03-12-13 06:00 PM
    Been there, done that. Just can't get into the Windows 8 process.
    03-12-13 06:36 PM
    I can only speak for myself but I have always found windows on a phone or a phone with windows on it unappealing. Windows has always been around, I work on a windows laptop all day, I just don't want it on my phone. I would rather any other OS. It is too much of one thing.

Am I the only one who feels this way.
    kbz1960 and Cesare21 like this.
    03-12-13 11:41 PM
    I can only speak for myself but I have always found windows on a phone or a phone with windows on it unappealing. Windows has always been around, I work on a windows laptop all day, I just don't want it on my phone. I would rather any other OS. It is too much of one thing.

I like Windows Phone, but I have always thought branding it as Windows was a mistake.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2
    anon(1005582) likes this.
    03-12-13 11:52 PM
    At this point windows is looking like a major failure. The fact that BlackBerry still has way more market share than windows after 2 years of launch their new UI. Bb10 is brand new os with tons of potential. I think that the BlackBerry users that are left are big fans because if you can stick it out over the last 2 years of bashing, it is because you appreciate the BlackBerry mojo.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-13 11:55 PM
    I like Windows Phone, but I have always thought branding it as Windows was a mistake.
    I completely agree. They should have focused in on a market and targeted it but they went all over the place trying to go for teens, businesses and everyday users. If they marketed the phone as, for example, xbox phone or something of that nature they probably could have targeted the teen market and perfected that market before they attacked any other market. This is what BB learned and with Thor decide to refocus their efforts in the enterprise market.
    03-13-13 11:59 AM
    Good story.

But, who's RIM?

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 12:24 PM
    At this point windows is looking like a major failure. The fact that BlackBerry still has way more market share than windows after 2 years of launch their new UI. Bb10 is brand new os with tons of potential. I think that the BlackBerry users that are left are big fans because if you can stick it out over the last 2 years of bashing, it is because you appreciate the BlackBerry mojo.

Posted via CB10
    Way more marketshare? Perhaps in developing countries. Seems WP has the edge in many developed markets

-marketshare.jpg

It can't be overstated how much the sales of cheap, low end curves have propped up the OS6/7 sales for the past few quarters. With the introduction of the cheaper Lumia 520 and 620 variants, i think WP should likely outsell Blackberry for the near term. Nokia is a far bigger brand in India than blackberry, BB is nearly non-existent in china and the rise of WhatsApp is slowly dismantling the appeal of BBM in many smaller markets. It doesn't help that there's no BIS on BB10 so the cheap, unlimited data plans folks loved their BBs for will not carry over into the new era.

In short, for BB to be on the 'right path', they need lower cost hardware in the market...and soon!

This doesn't mean MS are in the clear. There are seriously rocky roads ahead. WP needs loads of improvements too to fix some small bugs...but I think they are on the right track and the author of that article is somewhat biased.
    03-13-13 12:27 PM

I should hope you're the only one who thinks Windows Phone = Windows running on your phone.
    03-13-13 12:28 PM
    Interesting read indeed. I have long thought MSFT 's Windows Phone isn't a competitor and Blackberry hasn't lost it's 3rd place spot. I perceive by year end, the numbers will be different.
    I'm of the belief that no one should ever, ever, ever under-estimate Microsoft. They have a lot more to lose now than ever in that these mobile devices pose a significant thread to their lucrative Windows business.

I don't think either is 'guaranteed' third at the moment, but both will fight hard for it.
    kbz1960 and Kid Vibe like this.
    03-13-13 12:41 PM
    Microsoft's marketing is pure ****. Compare there recent marketing campaign to BB... What a joke, if they want to take themselves seriously as a phone company they really need to step their game up. Good for BB in taking charge thus far.
    03-13-13 12:54 PM
    As we say in the Army, it briefs well. The concept of an true ecosystem, of phone, tablet, and PC, that can fully interconnect is awesome. The actuality of it in M$'s case is far from functional.
    03-13-13 12:58 PM
    Way more marketshare? Perhaps in developing countries. Seems WP has the edge in many developed markets

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marketshare.jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	140946

It can't be overstated how much the sales of cheap, low end curves have propped up the OS6/7 sales for the past few quarters. With the introduction of the cheaper Lumia 520 and 620 variants, i think WP should likely outsell Blackberry for the near term. Nokia is a far bigger brand in India than blackberry, BB is nearly non-existent in china and the rise of WhatsApp is slowly dismantling the appeal of BBM in many smaller markets. It doesn't help that there's no BIS on BB10 so the cheap, unlimited data plans folks loved their BBs for will not carry over into the new era.

In short, for BB to be on the 'right path', they need lower cost hardware in the market...and soon!

This doesn't mean MS are in the clear. There are seriously rocky roads ahead. WP needs loads of improvements too to fix some small bugs...but I think they are on the right track and the author of that article is somewhat biased.
    Agree with your points. Quick question though - is this measuring marketshare of new devices sold/shipped; or marketshare of active users?
    03-13-13 01:23 PM
    Agree with your points. Quick question though - is this measuring marketshare of new devices sold/shipped; or marketshare of active users?
    Market share of active users, I think. That's a very valid question. I'd go with it being the percentage of total active users because I seem to recall reading about iOS surging against Android briefly in the Christmas months due to sales of the iPhone 5 and yet this chart doesn't show that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    03-13-13 01:58 PM
    I should hope you're the only one who thinks Windows Phone = Windows running on your phone.
    Actually:

1. With WIndows Phone 8 the kernel is the NT kernel that is in Windows 8. So technically it is Windows on a phone (at its core), for the very first time.

2. Regardless of all that, most consumers do think it being called "Windows" implies that it is in fact Windows. That has led to some confusion in selling WIndows RT for example, because calling something Windows implies it runs Windows applications. Except, it does not in the case of RT and Windows Phone.

Microsoft made a pretty good mess of it, or so it appears at this point.
    03-13-13 02:02 PM
    I'm of the belief that no one should ever, ever, ever under-estimate Microsoft. They have a lot more to lose now than ever in that these mobile devices pose a significant thread to their lucrative Windows business.

I don't think either is 'guaranteed' third at the moment, but both will fight hard for it.
    I agree. I think MS might have to resort to buying BlackBerry at some point though.
    03-13-13 02:07 PM
    I agree. I think MS might have to resort to buying BlackBerry at some point though.
    What are they waiting for? The price is going up by the minute.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 06:12 PM
    I did that. It's not as easy as stickin' a USB in and booting from that, though.
    03-13-13 06:15 PM
    A positive article in the G&M about RIM/BB? I almost choked on the news until I read that it was not written by G&M staff.

Microsoft is in trouble and though they have deep pockets, the thinking may be so muddled there that we could be witnessing the next Kodak story.

RIM/BB is in the fight for its life and is doing a very good job of covering all the bases and executing on plan. It is on the cusp f being a solid no. 3 and with more devices coming on stream, the torrent of patent approvals shows the company intends to be a market leader again through innovation coupled with a vision for the future.
    03-13-13 06:31 PM
32 12