http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/story/2012/06/22/ottawa-rim-johnson-new-blackberry.html

An Ottawa man who is unable to speak and relied on his BlackBerry phone to aid in his communication will be getting a new BlackBerry phone from RIM after he lost his on an OC Transpo bus earlier this week.

Conrad Johnson has cerebral palsy and has been unable to speak his entire life. (CBC)
    Conrad Johnson was born with cerebral palsy and has been unable to speak his whole life.

He normally uses a smartphone to communicate with family and friends by typing emails and texts, but since Monday he's been using a small laptop to type out notes to show to the people around him.

CBC News aired Johnson's story on Thursday and by Friday morning, RIM had called to say they would replace Johnson's phone for him.

Vangelis Nikias of the Council of Canadians with Disabilities told CBC News that losing familiar communication tools can be devastating for people with disabilities.

"It may mean that you cannot carry on your social interactions. Perhaps it affects your ability to do your work, to communicate with your friends. It probably means increased isolation," Nikias said.

Johnson hoped the BlackBerry he lost would show up at Heartwood House, which runs OC Transpo's lost and found service.

Staff there said they're keeping in touch with Johnson by email.
    jrohland, vtpmt81, carullo and 2 others like this.
    06-23-12 05:02 AM
    Excellent news.
    06-23-12 05:49 AM
    A little bit of charity goes a long way, really does in this case, makes me wanna buy another blackberry.
    06-23-12 06:00 AM
    Great news. Lots of us would be lost without our BB's.
    06-23-12 06:19 AM
    Excellent story of charity, KUDOS to RIM for helping the person continue to communicate with family and friends.......the POWER of BlackBerry .
    Last edited by spencerdl; 06-23-12 at 11:13 PM.
    06-23-12 06:27 AM
    Great stuff. Again, this is how you create mindshare. This type of goodwill is the best type of marketing!

Well done, RIM.
    06-23-12 08:33 AM
    Hopefully someone will help setup BlackBerry Protect on his new phone. It would have been a nice opportunity to tout that excellent service.
    06-23-12 09:42 AM
    Very well done RIM!
    06-23-12 09:51 AM
    Always great to read these kind of story.
    06-23-12 09:51 AM
    Great story.

I lost my bb10 phone. Rim if you are listening you can send me a replacement or I can swing by and pick one up
    06-23-12 11:28 AM
    Good to hear these kinds of stories.

But if this man had an Android there is an Android app called Boca which will actually make his phone do the talking. It can store, search, retrieve and play back thousands of phrases using the text to speech engine so it would have solved his problem of communication. I know that Boca is coming to BlackBerry this year but I don't know when.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3Rpdml0aWVzIl0.
    06-23-12 11:37 AM
    Good to hear these kinds of stories.

But if this man had an Android there is an Android app called Boca which will actually make his phone do the talking. It can store, search, retrieve and play back thousands of phrases using the text to speech engine so it would have solved his problem of communication. I know that Boca is coming to BlackBerry this year but I don't know when.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...3Rpdml0aWVzIl0.
    Is this some kind of joke?
    06-23-12 01:45 PM
    Excellent story OP! It's great that Blackberry did this for charity, and goes to show that Blackberry cares.
    06-23-12 02:39 PM
    That's awesome news eh. It may be nothing for some people, but guy is probably super happy!
    06-23-12 02:46 PM
    Nope. And, if it were already on Blackberry, it'd be a blessing to the man in the original post, not a joke.
    06-23-12 03:12 PM
    it sure is nice to hear stories like this, good on you RIMM.

We have read about this story now but i am sure there are many many more charitable actions from RIMM over the years..

bring on BB10, i will be standing at the doors waiting..
    06-23-12 03:28 PM
    Nope. And, if it were already on Blackberry, it'd be a blessing to the man in the original post, not a joke.
    That's not the point. I come to these forums for Blackberry news. Not only was that post flagrantly off-topic in regards to RIM's charitable side (this has nothing to do with what phone is better suited for handicapped people), but he has the audacity to post a link to buy the app. Is he being paid to do so?
    06-23-12 07:01 PM
    RIM is really going the extra mile, and could use every bit of positive news they can get.
    06-23-12 07:19 PM
    Why ask if it is a joke? If the guy can only type and show people on the screen, wouldn't it be better if all the things he says most often can be stored so it can be retrieved and spoken aloud by the phone? Suppose this guy has to struggle and type the same word 20 or 30 times per day?
    06-23-12 09:02 PM
    That's not the point. I come to these forums for Blackberry news. Not only was that post flagrantly off-topic in regards to RIM's charitable side (this has nothing to do with what phone is better suited for handicapped people), but he has the audacity to post a link to buy the app. Is he being paid to do so?
    No, I'm not being paid to do so, I was just telling you that this type of app that can help handicapped people will be coming to BlackBerry this year, I asked because I know someone who has to use the app. So this poor guy will be able to do so much more than typing all day on his BlackBerry.
    06-23-12 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD