This was posted over on Blackberry Cool web site:

RIM reigns supreme in Canadian smartphone wars | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post

I guess at least in Canada, RIM is still #1... (I'm not overly patriotic, but "Go CANADA" )

Article cut and pasted:

RIMís BlackBerrys are the most popular smartphones in Canada, ahead of devices from rivals Apple Inc. and Google Inc., according to a new report on the Canadian mobile industry from market research firm ComScore Inc.

RIM devices accounted for 42% of all smartphones in Canada in March, followed by Apple with 31% and Android with 12.2%. Nokia Corp.ís Symbian operating system finished in the No. 4 with 6.4% while Microsoft Corp.ís Windows Phone software now powers 5.1% of Canadian smartphones.

The news is a welcome change for RIM, which has suffered a series of public relations setbacks and analyst downgrades beginning with the underwhelming launch of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet in April.

While RIM remains the top smartphone brand in Canada, the Waterloo Ont.-based company has watched its share of the U.S. smartphone market decline in recent months.

In January, Android succeeded RIM as the top smartphone platform in the U.S., according to ComScore, as RIMís share of the market for multifunction smartphones fell to 30.4% in January, down from 35.8% in October, 2010.

RIMís share of the U.S. market at the end of March 2011 was reduced to just 27.1%, a drop of 36% since February 2010, when RIM commanded 42.1% of all U.S. smartphone users, according to ComScore.

At the same time, Googleís share of the market grew from 23.5% of the U.S. market in October to 31.2% in January.

According to the ComScore report released on Wednesday, about 32.8% of Canadian mobile phone users are now using multifunction smartphones such as BlackBerrys and iPhones. While thatís slightly ahead of the penetration rate in the U.S. (32.2%) Canada still trails the United Kingdom (40.8%), Spain (40.2%) and Italy (38.3%) in terms of smartphone adoption.

mhartley@nationalpost.com
    06-01-11 04:38 PM
    Off topic posts removed.
    06-02-11 07:12 AM
    Yeah...I can see that being the case. So many android trolls talk about the end of blackberry....blah blah blah. And you notice that they all live in the US. Android a small slice of pie here in Canada. I know the US is a much larger country with about 9 times more people...but still. It's pretty naive to think that what happens in the US is relevant to every other country in the world.
    06-02-11 08:12 AM
    Now if they can get the new phones out, maybe they can make some headway in the US too and regain some share here! Kevin said in a podcast (a few podcasts ago) that RIM should have put these coming phones out FIRST and pushed back the PlayBook, and as much as I love my PlayBook, I am REALLY starting to agree with him! It needed more time to bake, more time for the SDK's to be in the hands of developers, more testing. I would have LOVED to have officially been a tester instead of unofficially (at 500 of my dollars) which is really what I am!

Don't get me wrong, I love my PlayBook, and now that I have it you can't pry it from my hands. Also I probably would have been a LOUD voice if they would have delayed it. BUT truth is truth! Kevin was right! RIM should have put the 7.0 phones out first, EVEN if it meant the PlayBook would have been delayed.
    06-02-11 08:26 AM
    Kevin's always right...haha
    06-02-11 11:09 AM
    Don't get me wrong, I love my PlayBook, and now that I have it you can't pry it from my hands. Also I probably would have been a LOUD voice if they would have delayed it. BUT truth is truth! Kevin was right! RIM should have put the 7.0 phones out first, EVEN if it meant the PlayBook would have been delayed.
    Hindsight is always 20/20.

I agree though. They should have focused on getting their 6.1/7.0 devices finished, while being semi-transparent on their QNX device development. I say semi-transparent, meaning something akin to an open blog showing a general road map with tidbits of information while making sure to not drop concrete information, and by no means ever mentioning anything resembling a release date/time-frame. Keep releasing a product to the consumer, and at the same time demonstrate that they haven't turned a blind eye to the consumers' wishlist. Then when QNX development has produced complete and solid devices, pound the market with them.
    06-02-11 11:24 AM
    I'm still baffled why it is focus on the phones or the Playbook. Shouldn't they be expected to work on both at the same time? For a company that is growing from a sales of device standpoint, they apparently aren't growing the home office accordingly and/or efficiently to support all the initiatives. They should have different groups working on different initiatives. The real problem is that RIM management isn't effectively managing the various projects! RIM even admitted it with the Highlander announcement. They need to learn to walk and chew gum because the competition is doing a much better juggling act.
    06-02-11 12:26 PM
    I'm still baffled why it is focus on the phones or the Playbook. Shouldn't they be expected to work on both at the same time? For a company that is growing from a sales of device standpoint, they apparently aren't growing the home office accordingly and/or efficiently to support all the initiatives. They should have different groups working on different initiatives. The real problem is that RIM management isn't effectively managing the various projects! RIM even admitted it with the Highlander announcement. They need to learn to walk and chew gum because the competition is doing a much better juggling act.
    If you take apple or android you can definitely see why they are doing a better job. Apple has 1 phone running 1 OS. That's all they need to focus on for the phone perspective. Google makes OS that runs on other ppls hardware. That means they only have to focus on making OS not worry about designing or building hardware. Rim has a multitude of devices running different OS versions and at the same time is working on QNX(new) and their tablet as well as future phones. Suffice the say, the competition isn't juggling AS many balls as RIM. RIM has alot more work to do to compete because it's not only designing it's own multiple hardwares but also writing the software for them and as well as working on QNX at the same time for future projects. That's just my observation.
    06-02-11 12:51 PM
    If you take apple or android you can definitely see why they are doing a better job. Apple has 1 phone running 1 OS. That's all they need to focus on for the phone perspective. Google makes OS that runs on other ppls hardware. That means they only have to focus on making OS not worry about designing or building hardware. Rim has a multitude of devices running different OS versions and at the same time is working on QNX(new) and their tablet as well as future phones. Suffice the say, the competition isn't juggling AS many balls as RIM. RIM has alot more work to do to compete because it's not only designing it's own multiple hardwares but also writing the software for them and as well as working on QNX at the same time for future projects. That's just my observation.
    Well I think that standardizing the OS7 devices on the same Qualcomm SoC should help out with RIM's self imposed fracturing. So the only major difference on the phones will be form factor, and not totally different underpinnings like the previous generations. They should have kicked Marvell to the curb a long time ago and just went with Qualcomm for both GSM and CDMA.
    06-02-11 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD