I saw this commercial on tv last night...

It looks an awful lot like this one from November of 2010 (only Bold vs. Torch)...

12-28-11 10:37 AM
    Yep looks like the guy upgraded from the torch to the bold.
    12-28-11 02:07 PM
    The only thing you can't get from another platform is BBM. How long are they going to keep beating people over the head with that? They need to market other aspects of the blackberry experience. This is horrible marketing! No wonder they fell behind apple. I can't even count how many commercials I've seen that ends with "only on the iPhone." Or "if you don't have an iPhone." I believe this was aimed at the UK. No way you're going to win over the us with bbm alone. We already had our fad with "aim" and sidekicks. It's no longer innovative. Step it up rimpire!
    12-28-11 03:14 PM
    Very sad that their marketing department can't come up with new stuff and just do the same commercial and just change a few shots of the phone in a hand. Hopefully when BB10 comes out and they have more to market they'll hire a real PR firm to handle things.
    12-28-11 03:23 PM
    they reharsh the same footage for some of it i think but i didnt always pay attention to the phone he was holding in all shots.

The new bike commercial is good, but they dont show anything that cant be accomplished with other phones on the market really.
    12-28-11 03:31 PM
    I like it eh. it's a good start
    12-28-11 03:40 PM
    they reharsh the same footage for some of it i think but i didnt always pay attention to the phone he was holding in all shots.

The new bike commercial is good, but they dont show anything that cant be accomplished with other phones on the market really.
    Yeah, the bike commercial is really nice from a visual perspective, but what's the coolest part about it? The bikes. Not the phones. I watch that commercial and think, "Man, I need to get me one of those bikes."
    the_sleuth and sosumi11 like this.
    12-28-11 03:43 PM
    heres the FULL original comercial:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABYzBHEeNi4[/YT]
    12-28-11 03:49 PM
    Makes me wonder if RIM marketing department is really that bad.....or really that poor. Things that make you go......hummmmmm?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-28-11 03:56 PM
    I like the commercial. Bookmarked. If the other platforms were any good, the guy would be using one of their devices.
    12-28-11 04:08 PM
    Better than nothing
    12-28-11 04:27 PM
    I hope they have more in the works and just recycled these to have something to air now.
    12-28-11 04:27 PM
    I like the commercial. Bookmarked. If the other platforms were any good, the guy would be using one of their devices.
    Right..I'm sure if the other companies paid him as well..then he'd use whatever device was offered.

I guess something is better than nothing..but I agree overall..lame. Neon bikes? Please..show me something the phone can do..not some glowing bikes.
    12-28-11 04:43 PM
    Lol what?

Why in the world would RIM advertise for a different platform? This has nothing to do with who is better or who is good.
    12-28-11 04:47 PM
    The only thing you can't get from another platform is BBM. How long are they going to keep beating people over the head with that? They need to market other aspects of the blackberry experience. This is horrible marketing! No wonder they fell behind apple. I can't even count how many commercials I've seen that ends with "only on the iPhone." Or "if you don't have an iPhone." I believe this was aimed at the UK. No way you're going to win over the us with bbm alone. We already had our fad with "aim" and sidekicks. It's no longer innovative. Step it up rimpire!
    Exactly.

In television (moving image) commercials, rim shows TEXTS on their phone. lame.

Everybody else actually shows moving, vibrant, cool image on theirs.

/shakeshead.
    12-28-11 04:58 PM
    When you say "bookmarked," did you use an actual bookmark? I'm beginning to think you honestly dislike technology, as it is the only explanation that both explains your views and makes some modicum of sense.
    anon3396357 likes this.
    12-28-11 05:47 PM
    When you say "bookmarked," did you use an actual bookmark? I'm beginning to think you honestly dislike technology, as it is the only explanation that both explains your views and makes some modicum of sense.
    baby cryin'
    12-28-11 05:49 PM
    Yeah, the bike commercial is really nice from a visual perspective, but what's the coolest part about it? The bikes. Not the phones. I watch that commercial and think, "Man, I need to get me one of those bikes."
    Exactly!

RIM seems to use a questionable method of how their ad agencies work. If RIM demands competitive agencies to "work together" then this would be a reason as to why the end results are poor. Why would any agency do their best work only to see it meld into another agency's efforts? No wonder Leo Burnett/Publicis moved on.

From Ad Age:

At Ad Age's Digital Conference in April, RIM Marketing VP Brian Wallace made no apologies about being a demanding client for agencies. Unlike many marketers, the phone maker delivers a single brief to all agencies -- PR, social, digital, creative, media, etc. -- simultaneously, and challenges them to come up with a solution together. Additionally, agencies are compensated on how well they collaborate with one another.
    12-28-11 05:53 PM
    See, those in the know (those who have BlackBerries) know that the bikes are no big deal. Well, okay, they're cool, but anyone can have one. That's what those cans are in the beginning; it's a spray-on stuff. Now the BlackBerries ... Those are what brought everyone together and made the ride happen.
    12-28-11 05:55 PM
    thanks Tonis, now I don't have to buy the Cliff Notes. Where were you while i was watching these confusing movies:
    Top 10 Most Confusing Films
    12-28-11 09:38 PM
    See, those in the know (those who have BlackBerries) know that the bikes are no big deal. Well, okay, they're cool, but anyone can have one. That's what those cans are in the beginning; it's a spray-on stuff. Now the BlackBerries ... Those are what brought everyone together and made the ride happen.
    That's great and all that people in the know are aware of these things. However, the most important audience for this ad is for the people who are are NOT in the know. That is, those who don't have BlackBerrys. Thus, you've proven why this particular ad is a failure.
    12-28-11 09:55 PM
    Keep playing it. Who cares? if it's an-other update.
    12-28-11 09:56 PM
    thanks Tonis, now I don't have to buy the Cliff Notes. Where were you while i was watching these confusing movies:
    Top 10 Most Confusing Films
    Yea, a few of those are doozies. "Eraserhead" along with "Mulholland Drive" (and anything else David Lynch). But what's your favorite movie of all time? [It can be in any category or "genre" (comedy, horror, drama, musical, science fiction, etc.).] It could be something that inspires you or even something you identify with. Mine's "Fargo."
    12-28-11 09:58 PM
    That's great and all that people in the know are aware of these things. However, the most important audience for this ad is for the people who are are NOT in the know. That is, those who don't have BlackBerrys. Thus, you've proven why this particular ad is a failure.
    You've been wrong before, and you are wrong again. The ad is a success. Here's why. As someone in another topic already pointed out, most television commercials for iconic brand products (like BlackBerry) aren't put out to draw in new customers. They're designed to emphasize brand recognition in the minds of already existing customers.
    12-28-11 10:06 PM
    I think what they are doing is smart. Replay the old ones while they make new ones. And most people have never seen these commercials, atleast its some exposure.
    12-28-11 10:14 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD