Why do you need an app for gmail?
    There is a gmail app for BB, I dont use it. The mail gets delivered to my BB mailbox. The mailbox will be replicated to the PB on the bridge.
    If you use wif-fi then open the browser type "www.gmail.com".
    See no App required.
    Because when I click a link to email someone, there needs to be a native email app to handle that link. And there's no notifications. And the web interface doesn't compare to the native experience.

And I don't have a BB. I have an Android that actually gives me a superior email experience because of the Gmail app and native Exchange support. With tablets, I don't need to be within the same ecosystem, so going to an iPad (which I currently have), Honeycomb, Playbook, webOS tablet is all in consideration for me. But apps are a big deal.

You guys can keep going on about why a web browser can take the place of an email client (and I truly doubt many of you are saying it with a straight face), but most consumers will disagree. Not to mention the whole "efficiency" thing that's supposed to be synonymous with BB is thrown out the window when you have to rely on a browser. So let's drop this farce argument.
    Last edited by alby4ever; 03-28-11 at 02:15 PM.
    03-28-11 01:56 PM
    And I don't have a BB. I have an Android that actually gives me a superior email experience . . . .
    If you don't have a BB then it might be time to change the device that's listed next to your name to avoid confusion

alby4ever
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: 9000 (Bold)
    Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
    03-28-11 03:34 PM
    If you don't have a BB then it might be time to change the device that's listed next to your name to avoid confusion

alby4ever
    CrackBerry Abuser
    Device Model: 9000 (Bold)
    Carrier: AT&T/Cingular
    Don't know why I never changed it, but it's updated now. Thanks.
    03-28-11 04:12 PM

You guys can keep going on about why a web browser can take the place of an email client (and I truly doubt many of you are saying it with a straight face), but most consumers will disagree. Not to mention the whole "efficiency" thing that's supposed to be synonymous with BB is thrown out the window when you have to rely on a browser. So let's drop this farce argument.
    You obviously don't use Outlook, so my question to you is do you have a native email application installed on your laptop? Doubt it since you said you use gmail. That's the point most people are making.

Personally, I think a tab does need a native email client. It's a shame it isn't launching with it. But it is coming. Not a deal breaker for most people. Anywho, you have a valid point, to an extent.
    03-28-11 04:19 PM
    Don't know why I never changed it, but it's updated now. Thanks.
    I see that docking Laptop for the Atrix is starting to drop in price:
    Amazon.com: AT&T Laptop Dock for Motorola ATRIX 4G (Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

I really want to jump on a device like the Atrix, but I'm biding my time until the Bionic comes out shortly. If the user reviews are good, I'll get that.

Motorola says all their new devices will have docking now.

I'll get the docking laptop too!
    03-28-11 04:38 PM
    I see that docking Laptop for the Atrix is starting to drop in price:
    Amazon.com: AT&T Laptop Dock for Motorola ATRIX 4G (Retail Packaging): Cell Phones & Accessories

I really want to jump on a device like the Atrix, but I'm biding my time until the Bionic comes out shortly. If the user reviews are good, I'll get that.

Motorola says all their new devices will have docking now.

I'll get the docking laptop too!
    As much as I love the Atrix, I would probably recommend against the laptop dock. It's more of a proof-in-concept type product at this point and the performance isn't really that great. Not to mention the mandatory data tethering charges from AT&T (please don't let them gobble T-Mobile) and you have a pretty expensive accessory that doesn't match up to the hype. I think in a few years it will be more real-world friendly with the way smartphone hardware is moving up, but right now it's really not worth it for the price of the laptop dock and the mandatory data plan.

In the totem pole of complements to the Atrix, I'd put the laptop dock behind a tablet, netbook, and Macbook Air *drools*.

The Atrix is awesome and I'm guessing the Bionic will be as well. I get a full day of heavy use out of it. It's far from BB-level battery life, but it's apples and oranges.
    expidia likes this.
    03-28-11 05:49 PM
    You obviously don't use Outlook, so my question to you is do you have a native email application installed on your laptop? Doubt it since you said you use gmail. That's the point most people are making.

Personally, I think a tab does need a native email client. It's a shame it isn't launching with it. But it is coming. Not a deal breaker for most people. Anywho, you have a valid point, to an extent.
    On my personal Mac, I have the Gmail notifier thing that kind of acts like a notifications and mailto-link handler for Gmail. But you're right in that most people on desktops don't use native clients for webmail. I certainly don't (even though there's a very good native Gmail client for Mac).

I think it's different though on a tablet. I've used the iPad-optimized Gmail page on the iPad and it's a great interface, but it just didn't compare to when I moved the account to the native email client. The notifications. The ability to draft emails from clicking on standard mailto: links. The ability to share pictures, links, articles, etc. from within apps with other people is a huge asset that only native clients bring. Most apps (whether they're RSS, news, multimedia, etc) on the iPad have sharing features, and I've made great use of them.
    03-28-11 06:12 PM
    Also, it's not negative hyperbole. It's just fact.
    Actually, that would be an opinion.

Why do you people invest yourselves so emotionally in trying to hint at others that they should quit coming here? Lol. Sadness.
    Nothing invested, just bored of people who don't own a blackberry and yet still feel the need to keep coming back here to **** up as many threads as possible with their idiocy.
    Bren S. likes this.
    03-29-11 02:19 AM
    Because when I click a link to email someone, there needs to be a native email app to handle that link. And there's no notifications. And the web interface doesn't compare to the native experience.

And I don't have a BB. I have an Android that actually gives me a superior email experience because of the Gmail app and native Exchange support. With tablets, I don't need to be within the same ecosystem, so going to an iPad (which I currently have), Honeycomb, Playbook, webOS tablet is all in consideration for me. But apps are a big deal.

Maybe you personally like the gmail client, but I don't think its anywhere near the Blackberry Gmail Enhanced Mailbox.
    My wife has the HTC Legend and she has the Gmail app installed on it.
    It is absolutely horrendous to use. It doesn't have push so you have to set sync times. Then most of the mail is not kept on the device. Only the latest. I have months worth of mail in my BB and they are available instantly.
    For the gmail app it downloads the old mails as you scroll down.
    How can you search for a specific mail when the mail isn't even there on the device.
    I'm sorry but overall the mail experience on the gmail app is horrible and I wouldn't like to use it. I would rather point the browser to gmail's mobile site and work there.
    But obviously the options for iOS and android users are to use the mail clients of the OS or the gmail apps. Stuck between a rock and a hard place...
    03-29-11 05:22 AM
    iOS and WP7 both render pages faster than BB browser. Android as well. Those browsers are simply better. To claim otherwise is just dumb, tbqh. It does not take more than 5 minutes to see that the BB browser is worse than Opera Mobile on WM, IE on WP7, Chrome on Android, the WebOS Browser, and Safari on the iPhone.
    Apple's Touch UI is better than the Torch's. You seem to think people are speaking primarily about the UI elements themselves. We're also talking about how well the touchscreen OS functions. iOS/WP7 are buttery smooth. Android is pretty good. BB is not comparable to the former two when it comes to touch response and touch sensitivity. They run circles around it.

Which actual UI you prefer (as far as UI elements and look and feel) is totally subjective, but there are objective components IRT these touchscreen devices, and Apple is simply better than Blackberry in that regard - by quite a margin. Maybe they'll close the gap a bit in OS 6.1, but I can't really see it happening. Frankly, looking at BBOS and how it has "evolved," I just don't think RIM's developers are good enough to do it.
    Where to begin? I guess whatever you have to tell yourself. Dude I've played with the iphones from 2g-ip4. Every single step. The iphone touch is not better nor worse. But I will say I like the torch better. I know several people that like storms, htcs and even motorola over iphone touchs. You say all the other brands have a smoother touch ui. How do you mean? I touch the phone response and quickly. What else is there? The way the os is layed out is great for me. Its just the same for the most part as say os 4 where I started with blackberrys. Its close enough that just picking up the torch I knew where things where so my learning curve was left to just the ui. I wish you would stop just saying so and so is just so much better and give a clear example. Tell me something that an ios can do in its browser or ui that the torch can't do. Let me save you sometime. You don't have to repeat embedded media and render pages right cause the blackberry in fact renders pages right. I've tested several ways with several brands. Even gotten off the networks and got on wifi. I'm sorry to tell you where os6 browser is not better but its worse. Yes sir it sure can improve but it not slower and it gets the job done just as well. It has the dbl tap word wrap etc. Now you might not beable to effectively use an os6 browser, but I can use my just as effectly as you can use whatever you chose. I think over the course of the next few days/weeks I'm going to collect screenshots of web pages taken of all the browsers I can get my hands on and I'll let you tell us just how they stack up.
    Kinda a funny thing happened last night. I was watching a jerry springer clip on youtube on my torch at work. A co worker looked and my media player buffered. He made fun of me so we started watching the same clips at the same time on my torch and his ios4. Funny thing is in 45 minutes he buffered 10 times to my 3. Makes my torch better? Not at all. Prior to this test I prolly buffered 12 times. I didn't count it I just know I biffered. So what's my point? All the broswers act up and can only render as good as the connect is. The code for the other browsers my be "better" from a written prespective, but blackberry's just gets it done. On a side not this is just their first release on the webkit. I doubt this is as far as it'll go. It can only get better.
    I like where the bookmarks/history is on my os6 rather than on an ip4. I prefurmy go to than what's on the ios. Call me crazy but I like haveing a file system. The difference in blackberry users is we understand why the others like whatever the like. We just like what we have. Its the others that just remain clueless and think bybthrowing rock they will somehow become enlightened.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 08:23 AM
    Of course it would last more than 14 hours if you don't use it LOL...Even POS Captivate will last 2 days if I don't use it LOL
    People that I know with one sure are telling me a totally different story. But, of course I fully expect you to come back and say "No, I get the kind of battery life with heavy usage" LOL

Maybe you have one of the super models and all others are just normal ones
    Count me in. Off the charger 5 and a half hours ago and it's at 40%. Yes, I've had my hands on it all day, but even if I hadn't been using it all day there is now way that I could get 15 hours out of one charge, using it the way I used my Torch.

I call complete BS on the 14 hours at 70%.
    03-29-11 09:30 AM
    Maybe you personally like the gmail client, but I don't think its anywhere near the Blackberry Gmail Enhanced Mailbox.
    My wife has the HTC Legend and she has the Gmail app installed on it.
    It is absolutely horrendous to use. It doesn't have push so you have to set sync times. Then most of the mail is not kept on the device. Only the latest. I have months worth of mail in my BB and they are available instantly.
    For the gmail app it downloads the old mails as you scroll down.
    How can you search for a specific mail when the mail isn't even there on the device.
    I'm sorry but overall the mail experience on the gmail app is horrible and I wouldn't like to use it. I would rather point the browser to gmail's mobile site and work there.
    But obviously the options for iOS and android users are to use the mail clients of the OS or the gmail apps. Stuck between a rock and a hard place...
    I literally have no idea what you're talking about because what you described isn't even the Gmail app that comes on all Android phones. You pretty much described the opposite of the Gmail app. It's been well known that Android users get the best Google experience of any platform. Seriously, you're so wrong it's not even funny. You just made stuff up out of thin air.

I'm not even going to try to dispute what you just said. It's like disputing someone who says the sky isn't blue. This is that ridiculous.

Maybe Google got it wrong in their Android app description?
    DESCRIPTION
    The Gmail app: push, sync, conversations, integration, search, and more.
    The dedicated Gmail application integrated with Contacts and Android
    applications.
    * Email pushed automatically to your phone
    * Search all your messages
    * Access synched messages when off line
    * View messages by conversation
    * Multiple Gmail accounts
    * Stars, labels, and many other features
    Last edited by alby4ever; 03-29-11 at 10:50 AM.
    03-29-11 10:27 AM
    Count me in. Off the charger 5 and a half hours ago and it's at 40%. Yes, I've had my hands on it all day, but even if I hadn't been using it all day there is now way that I could get 15 hours out of one charge, using it the way I used my Torch.

How long have you had the Atrix? I got crap battery life for a week, but then it got better all of a sudden to the point where I'd get 24+ hours if I didn't use it that much. Sync, Wifi, Bluetooth, GPS, Auto Brightness all on. Battery setting on Performance Mode.

If I do use it heavily (gaming, browsing, texting, FB, taking pictures during the day), I get 14+ hours.

Check out the Atrix forums. Many are experiencing the same.
    03-29-11 10:35 AM
    I've had it for less than a day and I've been on it continuously, not downloading music or movies yet, just configuring.
    Even accounting for the fact that I'm really stressing the device, I just don't see how it will last not even 12.
    03-29-11 10:43 AM
    I literally have no idea what you're talking about because what you described isn't even the Gmail app that comes on all Android phones. You pretty much described the opposite of the Gmail app. It's been well known that Android users get the best Google experience of any platform. Seriously, you're so wrong it's not even funny. You just made stuff up out of thin air.

I'm not even going to try to dispute what you just said. It's like disputing someone who says the sky isn't blue. This is that ridiculous.
    I'm not familiar with Android phones but of course it would have or SHOULD have the best gmail=google experience since Android also = google.
    03-29-11 10:46 AM
    I've had it for less than a day and I've been on it continuously, not downloading music or movies yet, just configuring.
    Even accounting for the fact that I'm really stressing the device, I just don't see how it will last not even 12.
    I don't think you understand how lithium-ion batteries work.
    03-29-11 10:53 AM

Maybe Google got it wrong in their Android app description?
    DESCRIPTION
    The Gmail app: push, sync, conversations, integration, search, and more.
    The dedicated Gmail application integrated with Contacts and Android
    applications.
    * Email pushed automatically to your phone
    * Search all your messages
    * Access synched messages when off line
    * View messages by conversation
    * Multiple Gmail accounts
    * Stars, labels, and many other features
    Maybe she has set it up incorrectly.
    Cos what I described in my earlier post is what happens.
    Will play around with it and see how the gmail mailbox works...
    03-29-11 02:57 PM
    Maybe she has set it up incorrectly.
    Cos what I described in my earlier post is what happens.
    Will play around with it and see how the gmail mailbox works...
    I didn't mean to bash you or anything - if I came off like that. I was just caught off guard when you talked about the Gmail app not doing things that I can clearly see and make it do everyday (or is it "every day"?). I don't think there even is an option to disable push for the Gmail app, unless maybe sync is turned off for the entire phone or your wife's Gmail account was setup in the regular email app.
    03-29-11 03:49 PM
    That's funny, because what that poster described is exactly what I've been working on all morning.
    03-29-11 04:59 PM
    I don't think you understand how lithium-ion batteries work.
    Obviously, since I've never had a smartphone before and I've been sending smoke signals these many years I obviously wouldn't understand anything about batteries. Poor little ol' me....

I suppose since you're on record for being at 70% at 14 hours it should be easy for me to expect similar.

Today one full charge lasted just under 10 hours.
    03-29-11 05:02 PM
    Obviously, since I've never had a smartphone before and I've been sending smoke signals these many years I obviously wouldn't understand anything about batteries. Poor little ol' me....

I suppose since you're on record for being at 70% at 14 hours it should be easy for me to expect similar.

Today one full charge lasted just under 10 hours.
    I took my 9650 off the charger at 7:30 AM, normal usage through the day and by 5:30 PM the phone beeped that the battery was almost out and I had to switch to a spare battery.

But the difference is at least you had the ability to browse the web comfortably. I even had two truncated emails that I had to wait until I got home to view

So we both had about the same battery life today!
    03-29-11 05:56 PM

give it a couple days and it will be better. not going to say you will certainly get 24 hours but you should get considerably more.
    03-29-11 06:11 PM
    Yah, I expect that it will improve over the next couple of days. The specs said 9 hours talk time, and even though I'm not expecting that to be true at least it's not the abysmal battery life I've been reading and hearing about.
    Get me a solid work day....to where I can play on the train. Both ways.
    03-29-11 06:22 PM
    I said I would post screenshots of webpages and google searches and what not from my torch, ip4 and android phones. Well I have screenshots from the ip4 but well the android is causeing alittle trouble. Can't find an ota installable app yet. God for an app king platform you would think this woyld be a no brainer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 07:46 PM
    True, that. I thought basic apps would be available for all models. Very surprised that to take a screenshot I'd have to be connected to my laptop.
    The new Atrix upgrade will have the ability to take screenshots, I believe. On 2.2.3, if I got it right.
    03-30-11 05:08 AM
100 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD