RIM released their second quarter earnings today, surpassing analyst predictions and reporting a record shipment of 12.1 million BlackBerrys in the quarter. Their stock is already up 6% in after market trading alone.

They aren't going down, and if they are, they are going down swinging.

Research In Motion Reports Second Quarter Results
    09-16-10 03:36 PM
    do you see the junk RIM is shipping out? old curves, $29.99 phones... they're just rebanding old crap and shipping it out. that doesn't mean 12.1mil bb's were sold.
    09-16-10 03:45 PM
    Great idea.... they have a smartphone for every price point...
    09-16-10 03:47 PM
    That's a worldwide figure... isn't it?
    09-16-10 04:23 PM
    I'll be interested to see the earnings after the batch of refreshes comes out.

OT- Just noticed you are a mod now Civic, congrats!
    09-16-10 04:26 PM
    do you see the junk RIM is shipping out? old curves, $29.99 phones... they're just rebanding old crap and shipping it out. that doesn't mean 12.1mil bb's were sold.
    I'm pretty sure that's exactly what that means, from a RIM standpoint. They make the product, and carriers buy that product from them, and then proceed to sell it to customers. So apparently their "junk" is selling..and selling very well.

Not to mention they aquired 4.5million NEW customers in that quarter..for over 50million customers. So despite your obvious dislike of RIM, they'll be around for awhile yet.
    09-16-10 08:05 PM
    RIM did Sell all those phones, they don't give them to Carriers for free, Nor do they sell them to the Carriers for 29.99, I would bet they range in the 130-350 range depending on the phone and volume discounts to the carriers.
    09-16-10 08:26 PM
    I wonder how much RIM made China pay for those played out Storm 1 models? lol I bet the sales guys were rolling when they signed those papers over some Tsingtao and noodles.

Some quick work with acetone to remove the Verizon branding off the battery covers and a quick low level firmware flash to the respective carrier's name and those VZW returns are good as new.

But hey, look at the positive side of things... I can still enjoy some old school 9530 OS testing and bug complaining in my spare time. Of course, things just aren't the same without Sooks getting banned for licking his screen with every new avatar I put up and such... Oh, those were the days.
    09-16-10 11:56 PM
    The earnings kind of proved 1 thing here. And ive said it before. the news networks (most commonly CNBC/CNN) were "purchased" by apple. Great marketing ploy - make investors feel there was a reason to doubt rim's success.

last night listening to CNBC - after the initial results - they did not mention RIM's success once - instead discussed ORACLE and Texas Instruments. On fast money - 2 to 3 of the major nay sayers were reprived and revamped over rims success - however there was one person that was digging through her notes trying to find the smallest smallest smallest things to say why rim was failing. Thankfully some of her co-hosts shot her ideas down and said they didn't buy what she was saying.

RIM has a positve outlook - and in the smart phone world - buy what you want and like. simple as that.
    09-17-10 07:03 AM
    I wonder how much RIM made China pay for those played out Storm 1 models? lol I bet the sales guys were rolling when they signed those papers over some Tsingtao and noodles.

Some quick work with acetone to remove the Verizon branding off the battery covers and a quick low level firmware flash to the respective carrier's name and those VZW returns are good as new.

But hey, look at the positive side of things... I can still enjoy some old school 9530 OS testing and bug complaining in my spare time. Of course, things just aren't the same without Sooks getting banned for licking his screen with every new avatar I put up and such... Oh, those were the days.
    Some finegrit sandpaper to finish the job and the phones are RIM-tastic.
    09-17-10 07:57 AM
    I'll be interested to see the earnings...
    Don't worry grasshopper, you probably will be the first to know.
    09-17-10 07:59 AM
    NBC showed a blue device with black and white screen and a click wheel while talking about RIM's earnings this morning. Speaks volumes about how much the media care to see what RIM is actually about...
    09-17-10 08:52 AM
    Infoworld is reporting that Blackberry outsold iPhone by a substantial amount during the quarter (though the top seller was Android)

RIM posts revenue gains on BlackBerry sales | The Industry Standard - InfoWorld
    09-17-10 09:13 AM
    (though the top seller was Android)
    thats even better then, because thats android phones, which is multiple manufacturers, not just one company like apple or RIM
    09-17-10 09:28 AM
    The earnings kind of proved 1 thing here. And ive said it before. the news networks (most commonly CNBC/CNN) were "purchased" by apple. Great marketing ploy - make investors feel there was a reason to doubt rim's success.
    Right.....

Research in Motion: Not dead yet - Sep. 16, 2010

Take off the tinfoil hat.
    09-17-10 09:39 AM
    12 mil. units shipped doesn't mean sold retail but could mean shipped to carriers at wholesale to be sold retail and how many of those units are reshipped updated refreshes. I am still holding out for the storm 4 LTE Please RIM give us consumers something to really brag about.
    09-17-10 09:44 AM
    One thing to keep in mind is that the earnings report don't tell you specifics in terms of where the growth was. So, 12 million handsets can encompass a lot. Most of that will be the new contracts they just signed with China Telecom and such. Also, 12 million handsets is "sold by RIM" (as the poster above mentioned)... it's not "sold AND provisioned". There's a big difference there.
    09-17-10 11:05 AM
    Don't worry grasshopper, you probably will be the first to know.
    Heh, what is that suppose to mean?
    09-17-10 11:13 AM
    RIM did Sell all those phones, they don't give them to Carriers for free, Nor do they sell them to the Carriers for 29.99, I would bet they range in the 130-350 range depending on the phone and volume discounts to the carriers.
    Big deal, it means nothing. If you sold 1000 widgets to company X, sure you made your profit, but did Company X sell all of those 1000 widgets to customers?

What is actually out there in the consumers' hands is what it boils down to, not stock sitting in warehouses/shelves.

Just like the 12.1 million shipped premise, thats just shipped. Just because you can build them and dump them off to carriers doesnt mean you SOLD all of those 12.1 million to customers. That is far from a gauge of success of a company.

If lets say hypothetically RIM shipped 12.1 million and 7 million hit consumers' hands, and Google shipped much less at 9.5 million, but 8 million hit consumers, who REALLY won in the end? Shipping a bunch of units means little without more info.
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-17-10 at 10:32 PM.
    09-17-10 10:26 PM
    I would like to see these figures broken down by region to see if it is declining in established markets but growing enough in the new markets to offset.
    09-18-10 08:55 AM
    Big deal, it means nothing. If you sold 1000 widgets to company X, sure you made your profit, but did Company X sell all of those 1000 widgets to customers?

What is actually out there in the consumers' hands is what it boils down to, not stock sitting in warehouses/shelves.

Just like the 12.1 million shipped premise, thats just shipped. Just because you can build them and dump them off to carriers doesnt mean you SOLD all of those 12.1 million to customers. That is far from a gauge of success of a company.

If lets say hypothetically RIM shipped 12.1 million and 7 million hit consumers' hands, and Google shipped much less at 9.5 million, but 8 million hit consumers, who REALLY won in the end? Shipping a bunch of units means little without more info.
    I agree that units shipped to carriers doesnt equate to how many of those get into consumers hands, but you also must consider the laws of supply and demand. If carriers are continually ordering phones to keep a certain level of stock, it's because those phones are selling. I can guarantee you that no carrier is gonna order 100 phones and then have them collecting dust because no one wants them. They order a certain number, and if they sell, they order more. That is why it can be tough to find the "latest and greatest" phone, cuz they're all backlogged.
    09-18-10 12:00 PM
    I agree that units shipped to carriers doesnt equate to how many of those get into consumers hands, but you also must consider the laws of supply and demand. If carriers are continually ordering phones to keep a certain level of stock, it's because those phones are selling. I can guarantee you that no carrier is gonna order 100 phones and then have them collecting dust because no one wants them. They order a certain number, and if they sell, they order more. That is why it can be tough to find the "latest and greatest" phone, cuz they're all backlogged.
    Not true. Look at the whole Kin fiasco. Compared to how may sold, the stock was overflowing.

The thing with BBs is they are always selling, but never sold out (the Storm was the only one I think?). How much they are selling (to consumers) with that number, we don't know. I doubt they have extreme overstock, but I know they have much more in stock then they are selling. That's why I think it is around 7-9 million actually sold to consumers.
    09-18-10 12:10 PM
    What BB has been backlogged of recent? I cant remember not being able to get any model, not even the 9700 the day it came out.

Now look at phones like the iphone 4, Droid X, Evo- you still can have problems getting one and theyve been out for a while. The iphone 4 was sold out in preorder of however many million they made for a first run, and had a 2-3 week wait for quite a while. Every time they get a shipment theyre sold of the mentioned phones.

I guarantee there are loads of BBs sitting around at carrier warehouses. Also consider how many carriers carry BBs and each carries excess stock, multiply it out and thats a lot of excess stock (say 10k of each model on each carrier, but over many carriers who carry those models) vs something like the iphone (or Evo and Droid X) which is on a few carriers each (some on only 1 carrier) so excess stock multiplied by number carriers is much less.

Also carriers that do BOGO have to plan every purchase of one will really be 2 so they have to keep appropriate stock even if people only take 1 home. There is surely no shortage of any BB meaning they have them sitting somewhere ready to sell.

The logic of looking at the numbers simply look like RIM ships more excess stock than other manufactures simply based on how many models they have and how many carriers carry BBs
    Last edited by stuaw11; 09-18-10 at 12:45 PM.
    09-18-10 12:37 PM

In his defense, some of those avatars were pretty awesome and he probably wasn't the only one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 03:15 PM
    Sooks got banned for getting horny over Civics avatar pictures? That's funny.
    09-18-10 03:18 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD