RIM Possibly Looking to Acquire Dropbox - Shalom Life

Research in Motion, the Waterloo based mobile giant, is rumored to be looking into acquiring a portion of Dropbox, a popular cloud based file hosting service which enables users to store and share their photos, docs and videos anywhere, according to an ex-RIM employee.

Dropbox is a freemium product, meaning that certain features are free and some features users pay for, such as storage over 2 GB. Currently Dropbox is offered on a wide variety of desktop and mobile platforms like Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iPhone, Android, Windows Phone 7 and Blackberry.

In the past several weeks Dropbox has been speaking to investors to raise further funding. The company, which is valued at over $1 billion, has to date only raised $7.2 million in funding and is looking for something between $200 and $300 million, according to Techcrunch.

For RIM, the acquisition on Dropbox makes complete sense. More and more users are dropping their files in the cloud and for business users to be able to have their files available to them anywhere is an important service. However, RIM is valued by their business users due to the secure architecture of their system, which is what Dropbox has been criticized for in the past.

This week RIM started releasing their new flagship Blackberry phones with their new operating system. Reviews are coming in and the overall consensus is very positive. An acquisition of Dropbox would go a long way towards showing Wall Street that RIM is in fact alive and in for a long fight.

Dropbox has over 25 million users, uploading over 200 million files a day.
    This doesn't make too much sense to me, I thought RIM was already into the whole Cloud game?
    08-11-11 02:55 PM
    RIM acquires QNX and sets itself up for releasing it on phones probably next year.

They then look to acquire a portion of dropbox ( BB Cloud anyone ?)

I think the co-clowns in charge may actually have a plan.
    flyersfan76 likes this.
    08-11-11 03:09 PM
    RIM acquires QNX and sets itself up for releasing it on phones probably next year.

I think the co-clowns in charge may actually have a plan.
    Looks like they're "eliminating redundancies" in their cash accounts.
    08-11-11 03:33 PM
    I like it.
    08-11-11 04:06 PM

... and then there's Jay-Cut...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...oblems-631889/
    08-11-11 04:15 PM
    7 employees...easy there. Why not get professionals to do it instead of reinventing the wheel.
    01itr and Blacklac like this.
    08-11-11 04:22 PM
    i openly said during the dev beta feedback on the playbook in the betazone that they should work with dropbox, heck dropbox will be hurt by iCloud, so its a move that`ll help both companies, then build dropbox into the major apps, so for example you can be in a pic and simply select it in the `send` options, and same for docs to go, a fully integrated dropbox (or any cloud offering) would be a good tool.
    08-11-11 04:31 PM
    Looks like they're "eliminating redundancies" in their cash accounts.
    It could be worse, at least they are investing the cash though and not blowing it on stupid crap. Honestly their most recent investments / purchases have been solid with QNX, jay cut, the patent consortium with everyone else but Google and now possibly this.
    08-11-11 04:33 PM
    I like it!

And I really like RIM's long term plan!

1)Streamline and put product development and product release in rapid delivery times...

2)Build a new platform around the most capable and future ready and future proof OS in existence...

3)Acquire the best software companies in the world....Acquire their IP and talent.. leap the competition in 2012....

4)Focus on supporting all development protocols and multi-platform development and porting tools...Develop an ecosystem that is more diverse then any other platform...

5)Focus on emulation and cross platform support to exploit QNX "AUTONOMY" in many markets..

6)Merge all SDK's under one roof exploiting all developer communities allowing RIM's ecosystem to become greater then the sum of each part!

7)Target 3rd party support through investing with venture capital through "BB Partners fund"

8)Further strengthen and grow RIM's Carrier Partnership to become the most broad and diverse on the Planet

9)Conclude "transition phase" in Fall 2011 and bring streamlined development into a phase of rapid development in the Fall 2011 time frame...

10)Lead the market in terms of software development support and offer Enterprise customers the most extensive and broad platform support and capabilities environment in 2012...

If you've been following RIM's intrinsic strategic alignments and partnerships you will be fully aware of their game plan....as well as the gravity of the powerful nature of RIM's 2012 position.....

If you haven't been following RIM's intrinsic strategic alignments and feel to comment with the same negative redundant drivel.....I could care less

__________________________________________________ __

2012 = ios OS becoming stagnant and capabilities reaching a plateau...in due course being in the same position BB OS is now...Apple will still retain market share and growth...However media will start to put ios limitations in the public lime light!

2012= Android platform development and innovation moving at a snails pace due to litigation from Apple, Microsoft etc....Wait and see....Microsoft and Apples legal teams are just getting started
    Zizzzzy and 01itr like this.
    08-11-11 04:45 PM
    Wont work.

RIM just makes Blackberry Phones. \sarcasm.
    01itr likes this.
    08-11-11 05:12 PM
    This doesn't make too much sense to me, I thought RIM was already into the whole Cloud game?
    Looks like RIM is taking a page out of Microsoft's Borg playbook. If you can't do it internally, buy a company, slap your logo on it and call it your own.

However, Microsoft can get away with it cause they do software for a living and know how to assimilate. They've been doing it for decades.
    08-11-11 05:57 PM
    Build a new platform around the most capable and future ready and future proof OS in existence...
    Future ready?
    Future proof?

Buzz words.
    08-11-11 06:11 PM
    I really like the idea. The only advice I would give? Rename it Blackberry Dropbox. I would start associating the name with as much brand-positive experiences as I could. Blackberry needs to get back some brain space in consumers.
    01itr and bquinney like this.
    08-11-11 06:30 PM
    It's a good idea. Cloud is the future. RIM are starting to catch on. Thankfully.
    08-11-11 07:10 PM
    I like it!

And I really like RIM's long term plan!

1)Streamline and put product development and product release in rapid delivery times...
    2)Build a new platform around the most capable and future ready and future proof OS in existence...
    3)Acquire the best software companies in the world....Acquire their IP and talent.. leap the competition in 2012....
    4)Focus on supporting all development protocols and multi-platform development and porting tools...Develop an ecosystem that is more diverse then any other platform...
    5)Focus on emulation and cross platform support to exploit QNX "AUTONOMY" in many markets..
    6)Merge all SDK's under one roof exploiting all developer communities allowing RIM's ecosystem to become greater then the sum of each part!
    7)Target 3rd party support through investing with venture capital through "BB Partners fund"
    8)Further strengthen and grow RIM's Carrier Partnership to become the most broad and diverse on the Planet
    9)Conclude "transition phase" in Fall 2011 and bring streamlined development into a phase of rapid development in the Fall 2011 time frame...
    10)Lead the market in terms of software development support and offer Enterprise customers the most extensive and broad platform support and capabilities environment in 2012...
    Each time we hear of one of these moves we say "Not a bad move by RIM", talk about it a bit then forget it. Seeing everything they have done lately so neatly a well laid out really does make one take a step back. They are definitely aligning themselves towards a very good position.

Now that the new phones are out, the next step is whats going to change everything for them. A lot is going to happen in the next year, not just at RIM, but the mobile technology industry as a whole.

Cant wait.
    missing_K-W and 01itr like this.
    08-11-11 07:14 PM
    I really like the idea as well. I think dropbox would be an awesome addition to the RIM portfolio. An if it goes through, hopefully blackberry users will get free upgraded storage.

Kind of like when RIM acquired DataViz and the whole DocsTogo suite. Before there was a washed out free version of the application, and you had to pay a ridiculous $60 or $70 for the Premium version.

But now that RIM owns DataViz, all BBOS 7 Devices get the FULL Premium version of DocsToGo for free. which is pretty awesome.

Similarly if RIM acquires DropBox, It would be awesome if BlackBerry users got more storage for free rather than the standard 2GB via a "Premium" account or something.

Not to mention integration of Dropbox into DocsToGo would be super sweet!
    eragle and technology_fanboy like this.
    08-11-11 07:16 PM
    It's a good idea. Cloud is the future. RIM are starting to catch on. Thankfully.
    Each PIN = 25/50/75/100 Gigs of Cloud storage? Cumulative and tied to BBID!

Make it so!
    01itr likes this.
    08-11-11 07:22 PM
    That would be sweet...then I'd have something to rub in my iphone-toting cow-orkers faces (they are always complaining about not having enough space on DB)

I really like the idea as well. I think dropbox would be an awesome addition to the RIM portfolio. An if it goes through, hopefully blackberry users will get free upgraded storage.

Kind of like when RIM acquired DataViz and the whole DocsTogo suite. Before there was a washed out free version of the application, and you had to pay a ridiculous $60 or $70 for the Premium version.

But now that RIM owns DataViz, all BBOS 7 Devices get the FULL Premium version of DocsToGo for free. which is pretty awesome.

Similarly if RIM acquires DropBox, It would be awesome if BlackBerry users got more storage for free rather than the standard 2GB via a "Premium" account or something.

Not to mention integration of Dropbox into DocsToGo would be super sweet!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-11 09:35 PM
    I am going to buy me some RIM shares. I think this is a great fit! RIM is doing a great job of buying all the pieces of the puzzle.
    Now they need to combine them and market it to the masses!
    08-11-11 10:26 PM
    I downloaded dropbox for Blackberry and I don't understand what the point of it is. I had assumed that I'd access to all my files and be able to attach them to emails etc. but that's not the case at all. I looks like I can just upload files to my dropbox account. Hopefully if RIM buys it they'll increase it's functionality.

Personally, I had always hoped that Microsoft would buy dropbox and integrate it into Windows. MS's current file syncing programs are all over the place.
    08-11-11 10:41 PM
    I downloaded dropbox for Blackberry and I don't understand what the point of it is. I had assumed that I'd access to all my files and be able to attach them to emails etc. but that's not the case at all. I looks like I can just upload files to my dropbox account. Hopefully if RIM buys it they'll increase it's functionality.

Personally, I had always hoped that Microsoft would buy dropbox and integrate it into Windows. MS's current file syncing programs are all over the place.
    To be fair RIM wasn't the one who developed the Dropbox app for BlackBerry. So far you can only send links of the file through e-mail, and even if you want to download the file straight from Dropbox to your BB, you've to e-mail yourself the link. Pretty lame but that's what we have to work with at the moment.
    08-11-11 11:05 PM

Yes you can, you can download a file, edit it and upload it back or you can download it and email it. It's a cloud, you have to download the files.

08-12-11 03:01 AM
    Yes you can, you can download a file, edit it and upload it back or you can download it and email it. It's a cloud, you have to download the files.

i think the posters point is downloading is a pain, the easiest way to download, is to `share a link` via email then in the email click the link, theres no direct download option in the app!!

compare this to the bluebox dropbox app for playbook and that does allow downloads. for phones apps like filescout have dropbox plugins which offer better functions than the dropbox app itself including downloads!
    08-12-11 07:05 AM
    Future ready?
    Future proof?

Buzz words.
    Yes definitely buzz words there. They're safe until quantum computing arrives
    08-12-11 07:06 AM
    Let's hope they don't call it BlackCloud.
    08-13-11 09:00 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD