I am amazed by people who publish articles without making basic checks.
    It's like writing a review of a car which you never drove.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    02-23-12 03:25 PM
    RIM would be stupid to release a new PB - in any iteration.

While I like the PB - it's a failed product. A new version will NOT catch on as the software is sorely lacking. A new release will just be ignored as people will continue to associate the PB with a bad product.

All RIM should do is ride out the current PB life-cycle and continue to use PB owners as testers for the upcoming BB10 phones. RIM has lost a lot of money on the tablet, they should just be making the most of a bad situation and try to stop making more bad decisions.
    The lines between smartphones and tablets are going to continue to blur - not sure you can have a successful smartphone platform without a tablet option. If RIM doesn't continue to develop both their smartphone and tablets business, I don't believe they have a chance to continue as a company.

If someone buys a tablet... they will want the same apps and content available on their phone. So why would the want a BB10 phone if they own a Android / Apple tablet?
    Bobcat665 likes this.
    02-23-12 03:37 PM
    Hey they got to get paid too! Its just EASIER to be lazy...come on...if your boss paid you to sit around doing nothing, wouldnt you?

/sarcasm off...
    02-23-12 03:37 PM
    The lines between smartphones and tablets are going to continue to blur - not sure you can have a successful smartphone platform without a tablet option. If RIM doesn't continue to develop both their smartphone and tablets business, I don't believe they have a chance to continue as a company.

If someone buys a tablet... they will want the same apps and content available on their phone. So why would the want a BB10 phone if they own a Android / Apple tablet?
    Interesting thought. And curiously, I think RIM has the best phone/tablet integration of anybody right now.
    02-23-12 05:42 PM

Would you mind pointing out what is factually incorrect about the article, please?
    02-23-12 11:10 PM
    Very true... RIM lost a lot of money on the PB fiasco, and it something they can I'll afford at this point. I'd argue that the Playbook is a great example of what is wrong with RIM at this point. (Or hopefully, UP TO this point, now that tweedledum and tweedledum are sorta out)

They didn't have an original idea of their own, nor a vision of their own of where the market is going. So they borrowed another company's idea and vision, Apples, and latched on to it, thinking that hey, if we copy these guys, there's bound to be some big bucks in it. And everybody says Apple is visionary and smart, no?

Of course they completely botched up the execution, released an unfinished product, and managed to mangle their reputation in the process, because of the numerous promises they broke and massively delayed updates.

And of course there's still very little of the ecosystem or platform in place, that has made the iPad or Kindle Fire such a success.

I really hope that Heins has a vision for RIM, because that's what they have been lacking to their own detriment.
    Quoted because this is as clear, concise, and accurate a breakdown of the PlayBook fiasco as I've seen anywhere.

I don't get people saying that PlayBooks primary purpose was as a testbed for BB10 either. The PRIMARY goal of any product is to MAKE MONEY. PlayBook has done exactly the opposite. Cutting the price in half and taking $500 MILLION write-off is a miserable failure. Nothing more. There's no way around that. PlayBook has done little, if anything, to bring developers to RIM. The ecosystem is just pitiful when compared to any other player. They need to bury the entire platform somewhere dark and deep and focus on RELEASING BB10 in a TIMELY manner. Also,....it needs to be the very best thing ever concieved by RIM for them to survive.
    02-23-12 11:20 PM
    Get over it. The Playbook is CREEPING up big time. You mad bro?! Playbook!!!!
    02-24-12 12:00 AM
    Me? Mad? Not a bit. I actually wish you were right; that the playbook was "creeping up bigtime." But it isn't, and that's plain enough to obviate your trolling.
    02-24-12 01:08 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD